Sign in to follow this  
VictorMark

Mazerin Tain

I was wondering what everyone thought of Mazerim Taim. I know he's a darkfriend, and he clearly becomes on of the Chosen, but I have a feeling he wasn't always evil.

Rand was always horrible to Taim, and not just because of LLT. I don't remember the exact line, but Rand said that even without LLT raving about killing Taim in his head, he didn't trust or like him.

So my question is this: was Taim a darkfriend before, or did Rand mistreat him to the point that he defected to the Shadow, recruited dreadlords and became M'hael of the Chosen?

Edit: just realized I posted in the wrong topic, sorry

Edited by VictorMark

Moving to the main discussion board...

No he wasn't always a DF.  Basicly Dem gave him a choice when he was captured to join the DO or stay captured.  With Taim's personality and the thought of being gentled the choice was an easy one for him.  He was a DF when he went to Rand but he wasn't one until Dem freed him.  Rand wasn't horrible to Taim, Rude yes but for the most part he left Taim to do his own thing.  Even Rand didn't understand why he disliked Taim so much, but part of that was also the madness.  You also have to remember he kept disobeying Rand's orders.  He fired the guy Rand hired to teach the men the sword,  he never tried recruiting for the legion of the dragon, and he was way to open about his recruiting which Rand sort of wanted kept low key.  

Edited by Sabio

Assuming taim as an individual separate from demandred he displayed characteristics of the forsaken, ie self (importance) above others etc, he didn't like serving and wanted to be more important

That said training ashaman is arguably the most important thing at that time and a huge amount of trust so difficult to see what else he could have wanted :unsure:

On 5/19/2018 at 10:15 AM, Sabio said:

Even Rand didn't understand why he disliked Taim so much, but part of that was also the madness.

My opinion on this is that Taim was originally intended to be Demandred. There were clues when we first meet Taim, like how Bashere (who was responsible for hunting the man down) couldn't recognize him, how Taim get enraged (though he hides it) whenever Rand gives him an order, and how Lews Therin keeps wanting to kill Taim.

I think on a subconscious level, LTT recognized Dem, who was arguably LTT's most hated forsaken.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Heal Community and hurt Extras 2. Arrested Development 5 3. Big Bang Theory 5 4. Brooklyn Nine-Nine 6 5. Community 13 (+) 6. Extras 1 (-) 7. Friends 17  8. How I Met Your Mother 18  9. I love Lucy 4  10. It´s always sunny in Philadelphia 5 11.  Louie 5 13. Newhart 4 15. Parks and Recreation 6 16. Scrubs 5 17. The Office 6
    • Heh, good one.   The Princess Bride.
    •   Heal How I Met Your Mother Hurt I Love Lucy   2. Arrested Development 5 3. Big Bang Theory 5 4. Brooklyn Nine-Nine 6 5. Community 12  6. Extras 2  7. Friends 17  8. How I Met Your Mother 18 (+)  9. I love Lucy 4 (-) 10. It´s always sunny in Philadelphia 5 11.  Louie 5 13. Newhart 4 15. Parks and Recreation 6 16. Scrubs 5 17. The Office 6
    • Maybe haven't been as clear as I could be... My plan is not to do an 800 page comic, but a monthly release of around 50 pages, which is achievable. I realise that what I'm suggesting is extreme, but the idea of doing the whole series in a 'handful' of years wouldn't do it justice. That could be two books a year to do the project in seven years, which would cut out 90% of the story, or even one book a year would take fourteen years and still leave so much out. The 22 page comic I've done of the Dragonmount prologue is three (ish) pages for every written page, so doing one drawn page for every written one is still trimming the series down. I want to capture the feeling of the series in a way that the TV adaptation won't be able to do and the comic before didn't do.    I don't want this to devolve into an argument and please understand that I do appreciate your thoughts on my project, but I think this needs to be approached with a more open mind. The artwork looks good (I'm sorry you don't like it) and yes, of course, there are examples of better work that I can do, but it would not make for a viable comic series. I made this comic in two weeks and can continue that work flow daily for as many years as need be. Many other people I've shown it to have said they like the art style. This will only ever be opinion. This needs to be approached as an indie comic, not mainstream.    Thanks to your advice, I have been re-working the lettering, which is looking better now. Hopefully people at JordanCon will see that it's a piece of artwork done by a passionate artist who loves the series and will go to extreme lengths to prove his worth. It'll take a lot of money and effort to continue this journey, but I'm determined to show that a long-term comic adaptation of the whole series, keeping the nuances in tact and portraying everything in a way never before done is possible. It's a new idea and I anticipate resistance, but I'm hoping my conviction and passion will win people over. I'm going to prepare studies of the main characters and some forsaken as well and put all my effort towards the convention.        
    • Heal Friends, hurt Extras