DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Hunt for Namandar - Part 8: Aftermath [CLOSED]

Jagen Sedai

This thread is being posted for archival purposes only, as the original RP link was long lost on the winds of time.

This is posted with permission from Jaydena, who also supplied the surviving copy.

IC Year: 996 NE

[Part 1 Unavailable] [Part 2] [Part 3] [Part 4] [Part 5] [Part 6] [Link 7]

Aftermath: Confrontation

Players: Jaydena Sedai, Lanfir Sedai, and Sirayn Sedai

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:19 am

Having managed a tavern for a while, it was really strange to stay over in an Inn. Naturally, there were differences between the two sorts of establishments, but there was a bar downstairs and seeing how the place was managed was enough to make her heart ache for the Green Nature. She missed her tavern terribly today.

The fact that she was still hyped up after the showdown in Namandar did not help much either. She was still buzzing on adrenaline – night rest had not done much to make that particular feeling go away. In a way, it was lovely to be in battle again. It had been horrible, terrible, awful, but she had survived and so had her friends – and for that she was grateful. It made her feel alive. And for now, that should be enough. Except that it wasn’t. Because Namandar was lost.

Lanfir was moping through the hallway that connected the rooms on the first floor, where the Aes Sedai had rented their rooms. She needed to talk to someone, but most of the Aes Sedai were out in the village or doing something downstairs. She did not feel like going downstairs, so she turned to the first door that came before her feet. Sirayn’s door. Well, she might as well say hi to the young green. She had been the leader of this mission and she had not been able to save the city as she had intended to do. Sirayn could probably use some friendly words…. Cringing, she remembered herself on the boat back to Tar Valon after the siege of Fal Dara. She had been a wreck. If it had not been for Taya and Lyanna – no, let’s not pursue *that* thought. She stood before the oaken door and ran her hands through her hair. Her braids were itching after the battle. Perhaps she should take them out soon; after all, she wasn’t in Tarabon anymore.

After her much-needed bath, she had dressed in a simple shirt and skirts that she had often worn as the owner of the Green Nature: black skirts and a white, sleeveless and cotton shirt that was mostly very comfortable. Well, she looked presentable enough. She knocked three times and then opened the door. “Hello Sirayn,” she greeted the young Green, who was sitting on a chair before the window. “I was wondering if you needed something.”

“I don’t need anything,” the dark haired Aes Sedai said sharply, without even bothering to look at her.

Oh, she was definitely having a hard time. Lanfir could tell from the strain in the woman’s shoulders and the empty look on her face. She knew that look too well. Her heart was bleeding. “You look troubled. Perhaps I can help?”

~Lanfir Sedai
Greenie

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:58 pm

: : : : Sirayn stared blankly out of the window. The verdant glade outside held no solace for her weary eyes, and the filtered sunlight spilling through the glass dappled her face, but gave no warmth, as though the sun itself had withdrawn its comforting arms in vengeance. She felt empty, numb. Someone had ripped out her heart and her strength and left only a gaping hole in its wake. Bowing her head Sirayn rested her eyes on the pattern of ugly scars on her hands and wrists and searched desperately for something, anything to occupy her tired and wandering mind. But it was not to be. Every time she closed her eyes an array of vivid scenes played across the back of her eyelids.

: : : : The shattering thunder, the explosion of gritty smoke and dust as the ground collapsed in upon the greatest treasure of ages past. The way the Dreadlord’s face distorted grotesquely as Sirayn twisted her fingers in his hair and sliced away his scalp as a trophy. Raisa’s shriek, so high and rending Sirayn still heard a faint echo ringing in her ears, as she fell to her knees and sobbed in the midst of battle. The crashing realization that in a careless fury she had killed another sister. Sirayn shut her eyes tight, forcing back a welter of pictures and memories as she struggled to find some peace. It should never have been me, she wanted to wail desperately. I was too young, I wasn’t good enough, I couldn’t do it. She wanted to cry. She wanted to scream. She wanted to unwind the Wheel of Time and stay down in the dark as the ceiling collapsed with a thunderous din and obliterated all her thoughts forever.

: : : : The first knock at the door skittered over the outskirts of her tortured thoughts. The second penetrated deeper and Sirayn half lifted her head, imposing a mask of empty rigidity over her face. The third heralded the appearance of one of the very last women Sirayn wanted to see. The great, victorious, beloved, oh so perfect Lanfir Leah Marithsen. Lanfir, who could have eased Sirayn’s path into sisterhood. Lanfir, who could have kept alive Sirayn’s dying belief in friendship and love. Lanfir, who could have borne this burden in Sirayn’s place. It should have been you, Sirayn thought with the first smoulder of resentment. You were made for this, not me. And yet she drifted back into that first meeting, heard Seiaman’s voice - Join them. You were born to be their leader. But not like this! Not like this, Sirayn wailed silently, desperately. It had gone so terribly wrong. Somewhere along the line, the friendly, feisty little novice had become a cataclysmic failure: as a friend, as a leader, as a sister. She wished she had the final austere resolve to confess her crimes and ask Lanfir to end it all here and now. But she did not. She had a duty to fulfil, and as much as Sirayn wanted that oblivion, she would not fail this final obligation.

: : : : “Hello, Sirayn,” Lanfir greeted her in a friendly tone. It grated against Sirayn’s hearing. Lanfir should have shouted, screamed, accused her. She could have dealt with blame and the pointing of fingers; a more subtle and seemingly pleasant form of indictment left her uncertain and helpless. “I was wondering if you needed anything?” Peace, perhaps. Absolution. To turn back the Wheel of Time and undo everything that had crashed to dust under the great dome of Namandar. Nobody could forgive her but the dead, and even they could not wind back time, so she would have to survive. “I don’t need anything,” Sirayn snapped. “You look troubled,” Lanfir said gently, almost sympathetically. “Maybe I can help?”

: : : : Sirayn felt a familiar crackle of anger spark inside her. It warmed her, filled a little of the space. She didn’t need Lanfir’s pity! She needed nothing this living legend could give her. Her mistakes were her own, her failure had potentially damned the world but she would deal with that guilt alone and in her own way. “Not everyone is as bloody perfect as you, Lanfir,” Sirayn sneered, “but we can survive!” Her tone was outright vicious and Lanfir looked fractionally startled before retaliating, “Perfect? Did I ever say I was? What is bloody wrong with you? I was just trying to help you out!” Sirayn was moving onto safer ground with each word flung in anger. She had spent almost her entire sisterhood screaming at people or being screamed at for various reasons, and the art of the phrase crafted in spite was well within her bounds now. “It may surprise you, Lanfir, but not everyone needs your help!”

: : : : “I’m glad you don’t need my help,” Lanfir gave back coldly. “I’m also glad you know my name so well - is there any particular reason you're stressing it so much?” Sirayn smiled a slow cold smile. Lanfir was digging herself deeper with every word. Sirayn could match anyone in a verbal battle of wills and perhaps hurting someone would make up for the dreadful loss of Namandar. “I wonder where you'd be without your name Lanfir. It seems to open many doors. Well, it's a charm that doesn't work on me, it only casts a spell if I let it and I am sick and tired of plummeting to the ground in awe because of your name. Take it somewhere else.” Along with the rest of her, Sirayn prayed silently. Lanfir should by rights have been her Ajah head. It should have been Lanfir all the time! It should have been Lanfir sitting here grasping vainly for words to articulate her true feelings, finding none, and resorting to a vicious attempt to justify herself by other means. Maybe if she could drive Lanfir sobbing from this room it would prove that there was still something she could do. Even if that sole talent was as destructive as the rest of her.

: : : : Lanfir narrowed her eyes. The former Captain-General wore a forbidding aspect now but at least Sirayn didn’t have to worry about the guilt of hurting a fragile person. Lanfir was the perfect one here, the legend, the idol, she could take a lacerating attack without a qualm. “My name is not something I am proud of. The doors open because of my accomplishments, not because of my name. I had to fight for every bit of recognition that I receive now. I even had to fight harder because of my very name. Do not speak of things you do not know about.” Sirayn’s face darkened to a sudden snarl. Lanfir had Taya clinging to her skirts, everyone else lying eagerly at her feet, and she complained about it? “Oh yes, it must be hard, mustn't it? It's so awful having Taya collapse on her knees every time your name is mentioned. Perhaps you should change it so you don't have to put up with the unwashed masses paying homage to your name? After all, someone so far above us shouldn't have to deal with adulation!” Burn you Lanfir, Sirayn thought bitterly. It should have been you.

Sirayn Sedai
Sister of the Battle Ajah
Bonded to Seiaman & Losyn
Professional Killer

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:55 pm

This was ridiculous, yet she could not fight the anger growing inside of her. Sometimes she was too passionate for her own good. It had been a long time since she had seriously spent her days psycho-analyzing the people around her, and it showed. It felt as if she had made a serious setback where it came to dealing with other human beings in the past century. She had been on her own for too long – she knew that. She knew that Sirayn’s anger was sparked by something else and that she was just trying to vent excess anger at the first unfortunate sod that would cross her path. And she was such an unfortunate sod right now, it appeared. Lanfir knew exactly what was happening here, but she could not control her emotions enough to avoid that storm that was about to break over their heads. She just could not. Her nerves were too ragged after everything that had happened in the buried city, and she had become too unpracticed in the fine art of arguing.

On top of that, the young Green was deftly pushing all of her buttons. But Lanfir had been Aes Sedai for much longer than Sirayn had been, and she had been insulted and taunted mercilessly by the children in the street when she was still young and living with Marisah. Lanfir hardly had entered this battle unarmed. But why does it have to be a battle? Sirayn is your sister-to-arms, foolish woman! she accused herself, but still she felt her anger rising.

As she heard the acid words that Sirayn flung in her face, she could not help responding just as acidly: "What in the name of the Light are you talking about? You know, you sound like you are jealous of the bond that Taya and I have. It's called friendship, Sirayn. Something you will never attain if you keep up this attitude."

It was a low shot, and it hit home just as hard as Sirayns verbal lashes. Lanfir could not help feeling a flash of satisfaction as Sirayns cheeks flushed abruptly as if she were offended. She probably was, considering her tone of voice. "I can stand up for myself; I don't need Taya to lick my feet! I'd like to see how YOU do without your slavish minions to back you up."

Another button. Light, how could this woman even say these words? Had she no respect? Taya was a Sitter, for crying out loud! She was the next in line for the position of Captain-General and Sirayn had to know it. But most of all, Taya was her friend. Sirayn simply had no right to speak this way. She felt her cheeks flush just as red as she spat: "Slavish minions? How can you even think so? You should be ashamed of yourself! I started out the same as you. I was born, I went to the Tower, and as EVERY Aes Sedai in history I had to fight for what I wanted. Taya is my friend for longer than you have lived. I would walk through fire for her. I will not allow a snot-nosed brat like you talk this way about her!"

Lanfir Leah Marithsen
Battle Ajah

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:09 pm

: : : : Sirayn opened her mouth for an angry retort. She did have friends. Lwena, Jaydena, Jehanine -- Lwena whom she had brought into danger after danger, Jaydena whose lover she had stolen and never had the courage to face stilling to give Seiaman back, Jehanine whom Sirayn had loved as a sister and let go without doing all she should. She shold have clung to Jehanine like a conjoined twin, not walk away! What was she without Jehanine? What was she beside Jehanine? She was nothing and nothing was her. “Do you even believe what you're saying?” Sirayn shook her head coldly, “I've heard much talk of the vaunted Green Ajah comradeship, and I have never actually seen it. Nowhere.” A catch in her voice; “It doesn't exist Lanfir, this is all a lie!” She's starting to look upset now, not just angry but upset. “I've given my life for the Tower once already, and you know what it means? Nothing! It all means nothing Lanfir! You and Taya and Kaylan and Lyanna and everything, it's all just words, it means nothing!”

: : : : Lanfir was starting to look very angry indeed. “DON'T assume that you know anything about me or my friends. Taya and Lyanna have saved my life and my sanity on a few occasions... I would do anything for them, as they have done for me. I don't care that you don't believe in friendship or love, but DON'T assume it doesnt exist for others.”

: : : : “You may think so Lanfir, and I wish I could believe it too. But you're a fool for thinking it. Excuse my bluntness.” Sirayn's smile was very cold. “They will save their own flawless hides first. As would everyone else who wears the shawl. That's just the way we get programmed at the Tower, Lanfir, don't blame your so-called friends."

: : : : Lanfir shook her head. "You are confusing self-preservation and friendship. I have no illusions in that regard. It amuses me that you seem to think I do." She will pause for a moment. "And could you please spit out what the hell is wrong with my name? Is it too much to ask to address your sister in arms in a normal fashion?"

: : : : Sirayn was infuriated. Now the damn woman wasn’t even reacting. "You are NOT my sister in arms, and your name is... so oddly familiar to me that I confuse it sometimes with the name Lanfear." Sirayn smiled cruelly. "It's not deliberate by any chance, is it? Your family were particularly friendly with her servants?" And she smirked, hoping she’d struck deep.

Sirayn Sedai
... having learnt entirely too much from Seiaman, now being all-out vicious!

Suddenly the Wheel of Time seemed to spin back to a century ago – to a boat called the Riverdancer, and to two Aes Sedai facing eachother in much the same way as they were doing now. Lanfir had been younger than she was now, more unstable and hot-headed, but the woman facing her had been Ryell Jagad of all people. A Sitter of her Ajah, and not in her best of moments. She remembered her words as if Ryell had spoken them yesterday. The images were so clear as if someone had painted a life-like image of the scene. It had made an enormous impression on her. Ryell had been behaving outrageously, and they had been calling her to order. It had not worked.

The Sitter had balled her fists, her light-colored eyes burning with feverish intensity as she hissed: “I do NOT need advice about battle from a bunch of girls. Look at you! Half of you still think this is a crazy adventure. Peace shelter me, most of you have never even killed so much as a fly! And suddenly you believe you are capable of defeating an army of Shadowspawn? O please. It takes years before you get numb enough for that. I give most of you an hour in the battle, at very, very best. And DO NOT presume to say anything about me, Lanfir, or you Taya. I am in no way in need of advice from a Darkfriends daughter and daddys spoiled little princess.”

The red haze had crept over her vision much like it was doing now. Back then, only the fact that she was Aes Sedai and thus not allowed to use the One Power to kill, had been the only thing keeping her from obliterating Ryell. She had hit a sore spot with Lanfir, and deliberately.

Flashforward to today. Lanfir found herself staring in a face of a young Aes Sedai after her first mission, perhaps just as pained as Ryell had been before Fal Dara, and Lanfir had been afterwards. So she did not explode. Not quite yet. Because of Ryell.

So she wouldn’t comment on the sisters-in-arms jape that Sirayn Sedai had spat, but she answered in the only way she knew how: by retaliating. This had truly turned out to be a battle, and the similarity with the battle so long ago sent sharp stabs of pain through her heart.

But Sirayn had talked about Lanfir’s parents. The people that had conceived and named her, the people that had been Darkfriends and hanged by Whitecloaks on the central square in Whitebridge. She had never known her parents, but she had carried their curse with them for the rest of her life. And she didn’t even want to think about what she had seen of them during her testing for Accepted.

"So what if they were? What is it to you?” Lanfir hissed, desperately trying to fight down her red haze. “I'm sure YOUR parents were all high and mighty! They must have been the scum of the earth to produce an awful being like you!"

~Lanfir Leah Marithsen
She who is pissed off

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:41 pm

: : : : “A high and mighty prostitute is an oxymoron!” Sirayn’s voice was a lash now, bitingly cold and angry. Lanfir was talking about her parents! Sirayn started it first, but still, nobody insulted her parents. "Am I right, Lanfear? I'm so sorry," Sirayn smiled sweetly, "I meant Lanfir. Am I right? Your parents were Darkfriends?”

: : : : “YES!" Lanfir burst out. She lashed out blindly catching Sirayn completely unbalanced and unprepared. Sirayn went down like a stone, her head ringing, and her first action was to give the imperative signal through the bond that Seiaman must absolutely definitely not come. “They were hanged when I was three! I don’t remember them but I carry their bloody BURDEN every lightforsaken DAY!"

: : : : Bloody hell. Lanfir had just punched her. Lanfir just her. Sirayn got dizzily to her knees, wiping her face, and saw that Lanfir looked about ready to hit her again. Sirayn lurched to her feet. Might as well fight standing up. The killing fury called to her sweetly and she could imagine just how precious it would be to lose herself in the joy of hurting Lanfir - she could see just where to strike and what to do to reduce Lanfir to a heap of crumpled bones. "I've given myself worse wounds by accident." Sirayn smirked slightly as her fingers strayed close to the dagger in her sleeve. She pulled her hand away. No. "Is that your only trick," Sirayn taunted Lanfir mercilessly, "or is there something else you can do apart from trot out self-pity, Lanfear?"

: : : : “Do not CALL me that!" Lanfir screamed, throwing herself towards Sirayn.

: : : : Sirayn smirked, knowing she'd hit home. In the next moment Lanfir landed a flying kick in Sirayn's stomach. Ouch! Sirayn managed to twist, take the force out of the blow, and that left them standing close and Lanfir unbalanced. Sirayn drew back her fist and lets fly with the legendary punch that had felled several sisters. Lanfir staggered back. Advancing quickly Sirayn punched her again, high in the ribs where it will seriously hurt. Sirayn was too close to the edge and she knows it. Only a fragile self control was stopping her hands closing round Lanfir's throat. With a snarl of fury Sirayn dealt a final crashing punch that puts Lanfir on the ground. "Yield!" Sirayn yelled, glaring down at the fallen legend.

Sirayn Sedai
Almost completely out of control

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:47 pm

There was a battle going on in Lanfir’s head. A battle for control. She had been grasping for it with her fingernails, clawing at it in a desperate attempt to remain calm and to remain sane. But her ragged nerves after Namandar combined with the painful memories of Ryell got the better of her. Sirayn was pushing all of her buttons unwittingly but with a precision that should make Lanfir suspicious.

Am I right? Your parents were Darkfriends?

Lanfir had no time to be suspicious as to how Sirayn knew or guessed all these things about her. Oh, no. She was far too busy exploding.

"YES! Yes, they bloody were!"

And with that tortured scream, she felt her body exploding into action. Her hand balled into a fist, and she sprung into action, too fast for the other woman to react. She felt the rush and the strain for a moment, before her fist connected with Sirayn’s face.

It felt oddly satisfying, but it did not diminish any of the red-hot anger and the mental pain she was going through. If only, it added to it. It felt like battle fever – channeling her anger into physical action. She wanted to hit whatever she could get her hands on.

Through the haze and the thundering of blood in her ears, she could hear herself shout:
"They were hanged when I was three years old! I don’t remember them, but I carry their bloody BURDEN every lightforsaken DAY!"

Across from her, on the ground and touching her face in what seemed like surprise and confusion, Sirayn got up. She had fallen over because Lanfir had caught her off-guard. Then the face of the other sister darkened; grey eyes coloring almost black with anger. Lanfir saw none of it, though. She balled her fists some more and almost hoped that Sirayn would retaliate. She needed to let go of these feelings, this nervous and red-hot energy thrumming inside of her.

Sirayn was not to be outdone, though. She seemed shocked, but recovered quickly: "I've given myself worse wounds by accident. Is that your only trick, or is there something else you can do apart from trot out self-pity, LANFEAR?"

"Do not CALL me that!" Lanfir screamed, throwing herself towards Sirayn. Blind rage took over every instinct she possessed, battle fever and calculated moves were thrown out of the window. Lanfir completely lost all control. And Sirayn, who kept a better reign over her temper, took advantage of that.

Sirayn must have been trained in martial arts, was all Lanfir could think hazily, as she found herself on her back the next moment. The pain in her ribs was excruciating. They were bruised or perhaps even cracked, she figured. She was aching all over – Sirayn had surely done a number on her, the treacherous bitch.

“YIELD!” Sirayn yelled; her voice breathless with an anger that seemed as red-hot as Lanfir’s own. Her storm grey eyes were gleaming with violence and a danger she had not seen before in anyone’s eyes. No one, except for the deserter she had encountered in the barracks in Kandor, when he had killed one of his fellow soldiers and had run off into the Blight. He had looked exactly as Sirayn did now: crazed and angered, but most of all: ready to kill.

She knew that where it would come to hand-to-hand combat, Sirayn far outranked her. And she refused to give into a snot-nosed brat as Sirayn was, mission leader and fighter or ready to kill or not. She refused to.

So then there was only one thing left to do. “Never!” Lanfir told her, leaning on her elbows and trying to get up. Within a flash, she opened herself to saidar and felt the sweetness of life cascade into her. She gasped for an instant as her senses heightened and she felt the full extent of her cracked ribs, but she was battle-hardened and her reflexes were still sharp. She had lived through worse at her testing to become Aes Sedai. So she seized saidar and drew on Air.

It all happened before Sirayn could do anything. She had not been prepared, so Lanfir had the element of surprise once more. The weave swooshed hotly in Sirayn’s direction, pushing her roughly away from Lanfir.

With a sickening crash, the other Aes Sedai connected with the wall on the other end of the room. Lanfir quickly got up from her position on the floor, wincing when a silver pain seemed to course through her ribs like a hundred daggers. Still, she maintained her hold upon saidar and shielded Sirayn quickly. The other Green was weak with the One Power, aside from her talent with Earth, but Lanfir had seen her dangerous and brilliant creativity during the battle in Namandar, so she was not about to take any chances.

Then she blinked. Once. Twice. Realization was dawning upon her, as bright as a winter morning.
Sirayn was her sister-in-arms. She had just been fighting like a cat with a woman who was supposed to guard her back in battle. Light, she had just punched an Aes Sedai on the nose!

"Light, what have we done?!" She covered her face in her hands for a moment, as guilt seemed to rush in. What kind of Aes Sedai was she? What kind of a Sister?! How could she ever look any of her fellow sisters into the eyes again, knowing that today she had lowered herself as to punch one of her own sisters? She did not know how fast she had to run over to Sirayn. Lanfir kneeled next to the other Green, out of direct reach but still close by, maintaining the shield for safety measures. Sirayn seemed to be too busy seeing stars, but she had to be careful.

Her breath caught in her throat as she wondered whether she had truly hurt her sister. What if she had a head wound? What if Lanfir had knocked all sense out of her? "Light Sirayn, I am so sorry. Are you alright?"

~Lanfir Leah Marithsen
Battle Ajah
She who you shouldn't piss off

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:24 pm

Jaydena sat in her suite in the inn they had found for the night. It had been awhile since they had had accommodations and she had taken advantage of it. Her hair still curled wet down her back as it tended to do when she didn't use the power to tame it. Her curvy body was encased in an emerald green satin dressing gown with matching slippers and golden designs of roses across the fabric. She sat at the desk in her room and tried to concentrate on writing her feelings about Jared's recent death and the event's that had occurred at Namandar. Her travel journal was full of writings and sketches from the trip but she hadn't been able to bring herself to write of his death. Duty had held her together this long and she had only had the one breakdown after his burial inside her tent.

She looked up from her blank travel journal page when she heard screaming coming from Sirayn's room next door. The voices were muffled and she couldn't hear the words being screamed but she certainly had heard Sirayn's voice often enough to recognize the pitch and tone as one of the voices screaming. The other voice wasn't one she recognized and so she knew that it wasn't Seiaman. Plus Seiaman wouldn't yell at Sirayn when they were staying next door for she knew that Jaydena was angered when she treated Sirayn like a tavern wench. Of course that's what she likes in her bed so why shouldn't she? Staring at the wall between the two rooms and rolled her eyes as the pitch increased and stood up in a burst of restless anger. Why in the world would she scream like that and what could cause her to do that. Who is she fighting with, she and I have talked often enough that she knows that any action limit her chances of ever becoming a sitter.

Picking her journal up she began to wrap it in it's leather case, for she would get no work done with the racket coming from next door. She knew her sister could handle herself and she need not interfere. Setting the journal aside with a sign she headed toward the bedroom. She hadn't been sleeping well since the battle and had even been given herbs by Lwena to help her sleep, though they didn't work part of the time. She had been so distraught and lost since he died that she knew the only keeping her alive was her duty to keep her party home to the tower and to bring his staff to his best friend Terren. As she began to recline she heard a loud thump come from next door and realized that someone had channeled next door.

Embracing the source through the Angreal pined to her dressing gown she ran out of the room with her dagger in her hand. The dagger had been given to her long ago by Seia and she didn't go anywhere without it. She ran out into the hall and pushed the door open, both woman were to absorbed in what was taking place to even notice her open to the source and couldn't see her as she was facing both of them. Her friend lay against the wall which explained the crash she had heard. Lanfir had Sirayn shielded and the weave she had used on Sira was fading from the air. Why in the light would she attack another sister with the power, what could have made the perfect Lanfir mad enough to do something like this?

Jade wove a shield around herself and watched silently as Lanfir said something softly and buried her face in her hands. It appeared the woman had realized her mistake but Jade wasn't stupid. Sirayn was still knocked out but she seemed to be stirring as Lanfir ran to her and began to speak, "Light Sirayn, I am so sorry. Are you alright?" The mask of coldness slid into place and Jade stepped into the room, walking toward Lanfir she said, "You had better hope she is all right Lanfir Sedai, you could very well face a public birching, not to mention the fact that you should receive a private penance for even thinking to attack another sister with the power. What in the Light could she possibly have done or said that would have caused you to do this. Lanfir you know better than this, you just attacked a fellow green sister, your sister in battle, who bloody well saved your life just days ago. She saved all of our lives and this is how you repay her. What just happened Lanfir?"

With an arch of her eyebrow she knelt down and took her friends head in her hands. She delved quickly and checked for injuries. The only injury she seemed to have besides several bruises and cuts was a broken or largely fractured rib. Her power in healing wasn't enough for her to mend it so she glanced at Lanfir and said, "Before you answer that you need to heal Sirayn, her flaming rib is broken thanks to you." Nodding she waited for Lanfir to heal her friend and prepared several deadly weaves just in case the Aes Sedai tried to kill her dearest friend.

Jaydena Sedai

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:56 am

Just great... a horrible situation just got worse. Lanfir almost groaned when Jaydena burst in and began her angry tirade, all the while glowing brightly with the One Power. "You had better hope she is all right Lanfir Sedai, you could very well face a public birching, not to mention the fact that you should receive a private penance for even thinking to attack another sister with the power. What in the Light could she possibly have done or said that would have caused you to do this. Lanfir you know better than this, you just attacked a fellow green sister, your sister in battle, who bloody well saved your life just days ago. She saved all of our lives and this is how you repay her. What just happened Lanfir?" Jaydena did not wait for answer, but knelt down next to Sirayn for a quick delving. It was more than obvious whose side she had taken in the argument. Lanfir wanted to kick her. "Before you answer that you need to heal Sirayn, her flaming rib is broken thanks to you."

Most of her burning rage had gone after her powerful burst of saidar, but she was still battling for control over herself. "Jaydena, I was just about to. Please don't make assumptions if you do not know the situation." Wrapping her arms around her own wounded ribcage, she slowly sat down next to Sirayn and weaved Air and Water to Heal the other Green. Sirayn shuddered a bit and opened her eyes: "You cheated," she croaked. "I had you beaten Lanfir. Admit it."

Well, at least someone here had retained a tendril of good humour. Lanfir gave her a wry smile and dissolved the shielding weave. "Yes, you had. But since there weren't any rules, I don't think I cheated. Sorry about your head and the wall. I only meant to get you off me, not to get you knocked unconscious."

She turned to Jaydena and sighed, finally able to let go of her battle rage and becoming her own usually so stable self again. "Before I'll explain to you what happens, I'd like to ask you to let go of whatever assumption you're sporting right now. It's probably not true, because what happened here is not what it seems..."

~Lannie
in for a whole lot of explaining

OOC: I thought you'd better take it from here, Sira. Jade'll prolly trust you more and believe you earlier.

Ooc: funnily enough I came straight from breaking Sirayn’s ribs in a channeling accident with Moira, to breaking a few more here

: : : : The sharp spike in her ribs stabbed every time she drew a breath. She muttered a bit wishing it would stop hurting and tried not to move. Her head ached with the kind of cautious throb that warned things would get a great deal worse if she even twitched. Oblivious to the drama going on over her semi-conscious form Sirayn lay peacefully. Then, gentle hands found her head and she yelped aloud and opened one eye with a baleful glare. A familiar flawless face met her one-sided gaze and Sirayn blinked feebly trying to work out what under the Light Jaydena was doing holding her head. She shivered slightly as a sudden chill passed through her. A few more angry words were exchanged over her head and then Lanfir sat down firmly beside her. Sirayn eyed the other woman cautiously still not quite daring to move. The fierce ice-cold of healing shuddered straight through her and she shuddered, strangling down a gasp of shock, as a flood of sudden memories returned. Lanfir had caused this headache. And doubtless, Sirayn had given quite a headache before that, without use of the One Power. Well what do you know, my training paid off, she reflected with a certain vindictive pride. I can beat up … another … sister … Oh bloody hell. She’d thrashed Lanfir in a fist fight. “You cheated,” Sirayn croaked, slanting a tentative mirthful glance at Lanfir. “I had you beaten, Lanfir. Admit it.”

: : : : Lanfir smiled back wryly and the shield dropped. Sirayn took a deep breath, feeling more secure, and smirked a bit at Lanfir’s words, “Looks like I was doing a more thorough job than I anticipated.” She realised with a sense of sinking dismay that Jaydena had immediately assumed that Lanfir was the aggressor, as indeed one would when seeing one sister on the floor and another one standing over her full of saidar. Sirayn reflected wryly that she had quite some explaining to do. “What happened here is not what it seems … “

: : : : Sirayn sat bolt upright, ignoring the sudden stabbing pain in her head. “Indeed,” Sirayn said with a sharp bite to her voice, “because Lanfir wouldn’t do something so dishonourable as pick a fight with another sister. That distinction belongs to me and me alone.” She smiled unpleasantly, “I do fear I am particularly good with an insult. Although not, it seems, with politics.” Her voice became light, dangerous, “A public penance is the least of what I deserve. I picked a fight with a greatly higher ranked sister of the Battle Ajah, made derogatory remarks about her parentage, punched her several times and I seem to recall there was a kick in there too … What am I looking at Jaydena, exile to the Farm? Or is that just for misbehaving novices? I forget. Back to the initiation period and learning again what it is to be Green Ajah? I do fear I didn’t entirely make the most of that opportunity, was too busy plotting to seriously hurt people. Perhaps a return to novice whites would do me good.” Sirayn took a deep breath, cleansing the bitter sarcasm, and looked squarely at the two women, unflinching from retribution; “You might as well decide my punishment ladies … although if you think it’s appropriate to confide this to the rest of the known world,” she grimaced slightly at the thought, “so be it. I’m sure it would provide Arette with endless entertainment.”

Sirayn Sedai
Nasty

Posted

A sigh passed through Lanfir's lips and she said, "Jaydena, I was just about to. Please don't make assumptions if you do not know the situation." The older sister moved slowly toward Sirayn, and Jade realized that she was sporting some pain of her own. Lanfir laid her hands on Sirayn and healed her with a practiced ease. Jade nodded her head glad that the sister hadn't done something stupid like kill Sirayn. Her sister opened her eyes and focused her eyes in on Lanfir before saying, "You cheated, I had you beaten Lanfir. Admit it."

Staring coldly at both woman she wondered why they were acting like this absurdity was a game. "Yes, you had. But since there weren't any rules, I don't think I cheated. Sorry about your head and the wall. I only meant to get you off me, not to get you knocked unconscious." An uneasy glance landed on Sirayn and she saw her friend smirk as she replied, “Looks like I was doing a more thorough job than I anticipated.” The older sister nodded and then turned to her.

Jaydena arched her eyebrow at the woman and waited for her to explain her actions, "Before I'll explain to you what happens, I'd like to ask you to let go of whatever assumption you're sporting right now. It's probably not true, because what happened here is not what it seems..." Nodding slowly she turned as Sirayn sat up suddenly and winced softly, “Indeed, because Lanfir wouldn't do something so dishonorable as pick a fight with another sister. That distinction belongs to me and me alone.” Jade leaned back on her haunches and nodded slowly to show that she was listening, though the shock was hard to conceal. “I do fear I am particularly good with an insult. Although not, it seems, with politics. A public penance is the least of what I deserve. I picked a fight with a greatly higher ranked sister of the Battle Ajah, made derogatory remarks about her parentage, punched her several times and I seem to recall there was a kick in there too … What am I looking at Jaydena, exile to the Farm? Or is that just for misbehaving novices? I forget. Back to the initiation period and learning again what it is to be Green Ajah? I do fear I didn't entirely make the most of that opportunity, was too busy plotting to seriously hurt people. Perhaps a return to novice whites would do me good.”

With a sigh she opened her mouth to retort but before she had a chance her friend continued in that same bitter voice, “You might as well decide my punishment ladies … although if you think it's appropriate to confide this to the rest of the known world, so be it. I’m sure it would provide Arette with endless entertainment.” Her feelings were clear on this issue and she turned to Lanfir. "Weather you were provoked by Sirayn or not we both know that what you did was not becoming a sister of the green. Especially one with your service record and history. I hate to think that a stable-boy could insult your parents and you might attack him with the power. I know the oaths bar you from doing that but he only has to attack you in some way for you to go after him. Remember we are not the sum of our parents but what we have become. What you are is a former ajah head of the battle ajah and one who should know better than to attack another sister for comments made."

Turning back to her best friend she tried to calm her expression, "Sirayn you of all people should know how much it hurts when someone makes comments about your parents. Weather Lanfir was gone for 100 years or not she is now our battle sister and deserves to be treated with respect. I'm not sure what happened her today but I surely don't want it to get out that two battle sisters fought each other and one even used the power. So my suggestion. How about you set each other's punishment. Also I think that Lanfir needs to be healed by me unless it's to serious of an injury. I really don't want word of this to leak out to the Brown's." Nodding her head she glanced at both the women and waited for them to speak...

Jaydena Sedai

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:51 am

: : : : Sirayn shifted uncomfortably under Jaydena’s rebuke. An official reprimand from a Sitter for her Ajah; the first of many, Sirayn had no doubt. She hated feeling that her friend was scolding her from the position of being higher-ranking than her. “I do respect her,” Sirayn muttered. “She doesn’t want respect. She wants everyone to bloody well love her.” She sounded outraged at the very suggestion. Sirayn hated meekly co-operating with people and the idea that this was what Lanfir wanted from her, caused her contrary side to kick in. “As far as I’m concerned, no punishment for Lanfir. She’s forgiven. Wouldn’t want her to get her pretty white hands dirty.” The silence that followed this remark was thunderous. Sirayn shut her eyes with a wince. “Sorry. Temper gets the best of me.” Lifting her hand, she laced her fingers gently through Jaydena’s, “Thanks for coming, sister.”

Sirayn Sedai
Short on posts, short on height, long on being difficult!

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:04 pm

"Whether you were provoked by Sirayn or not we both know that what you did was not becoming a sister of the green. Especially one with your service record and history. I hate to think that a stable-boy could insult your parents and you might attack him with the power. I know the oaths bar you from doing that but he only has to attack you in some way for you to go after him. Remember we are not the sum of our parents but what we have become. What you are is a former ajah head of the battle ajah and one who should know better than to attack another sister for comments made."

Lanfir bit on the inside of her cheek while Jaydena was telling her what to do. I was Aes Sedai before your grandmother was born, was bubbling on her lips, but she swallowed the words back and realized that she had been gone from the Tower for a period that was almost just as long, and that she’d better pay Jaydena some respect. She was a Sitter after all. No matter that she was telling Lanfir things she already knew, she would have to bow her head and agree.

It felt good when the Green Sitter turned to Sirayn and proposed a punishment. Lanfir hoped that the unpredictable young battle leader wouldn’t make this nasty situation even nastier, but the Light did not see fit to answer that little prayer.

“She doesn’t want respect. She wants everyone to bloody well love her. As far as I’m concerned, no punishment for Lanfir. She’s forgiven. Wouldn’t want her to get her pretty white hands dirty.”

One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten… rosebud opening to sunlight… I am NOT going to scream, I am not going to scream! And thankfully, she didn’t. She was silent, because she did not trust her own voice. Jaydena shared her silence – it hung like a web between the three women.

Sirayn closed her eyes. “Sorry. Temper gets the best of me.” Her fingers twined with Jaydena’s for a moment. “Thanks for coming, sister.”

“No punishment for Sirayn, either,” Lanfir said, her voice controlled and calm, like it should be. Internally, she congratulated herself with that. “Post-battle adrenaline makes us all a little crazy sometimes. I agree that our behavior was out of line, and I assure you that I will do my utmost best to keep my temper in check. This is indeed not becoming of Aes Sedai and the Green Ajah alike.” She shot Sirayn a quick look. “I do think we need a talk one of these days, however.”

~Lannie

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:25 pm

: : : : Lannie sounded excessively polite in her response, but the quick glance she shot at Sirayn wasn’t so meek; a flame of anger still smouldered there and Sirayn bit her tongue wondering ruefully why she always had to let rip with the most scathing comment that came to mind. She might have made a mortal enemy this day and one who could cause her serious trouble for as long as Taya was in her pocket. “If there’s something you want to say to me, Lanfir,” her voice was very level, deliberately not stressing the name, “you can say it in front of Jaydena, as far as I’m concerned.” She squeezed Jaydena’s hand gently, and remembered with a sudden flash of anger Lanfir’s remark about Sirayn having no friends. She didn’t make friends easily, that was true, but perhaps if the golden Lanfir had gone through half of what Sirayn had been through, she would find it hard to make friends too. If she hadn’t had everything handed to her on a plate. “My remarks were out of line, and I apologise,” she tried not to sound too strangled, “for what it’s worth. But I’m a nasty piece of work and I do keep making these comments so if you have a delicate ego, we had better stay away from each other.” I have friends of my own. You have Lyanna and Taya … go enjoy yourself. Enjoy the golden time when you have it. And she remembered Seiaman’s words back in Tanchico, that Lanfir’s time was over and now it was Sirayn’s turn to be the shining star … and smiled a bit ruefully at the absurdity of the idea.

Sirayn Sedai
Still short posting

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:02 pm

Sirayn's voice was dangerously level. “If there’s something you want to say to me, Lanfir, you can say it in front of Jaydena, as far as I’m concerned.” Well, at least she pronounced it normally this time. Sirayn paused for a moment before she continued: “My remarks were out of line, and I apologise, for what it’s worth. But I’m a nasty piece of work and I do keep making these comments so if you have a delicate ego, we had better stay away from each other.”

Her fingers were still entwined with Jaydena's. There was a message there in that touch, and Lanfir thought she might know what it meant. It didn't matter though. Lanfir sighed and shook her head. "You know, Sirayn, all I wanted was to offer a bit of support to a battle leader after a gruesome battle. As colleagues. Or sisters to battle. Or as two women. I admire your strength and how you pulled us through this, and I wanted to tell you that." She shrugged, suddenly very tired. "This whole ordeal," she gestured vaguely at the wall, which thankfully wasnt cracked by some miracle, "was the last thing I wanted. I hope this all was caused by post battle stress as much for you as it was for me, and that we can at least be sisters. I don't have to be your friend, Sirayn. I just want to guard your back, and I 'd like you to guard mine. You fight well, and you're a treasure on the side of the Light."

Lanfir spread her hands. Suddenly there weren't any words anymore. She didn't care anymore what Sirayn thought of her, or what she wanted. All she wanted was a stiff drink and a bath. And sleeping. Although she wasn't quite sure in what order yet. "That's all," she concluded.

~Lannie

Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:21 am

Her friend shifted under her gaze and spoke in a scornful voice, “I do respect her, She doesn't want respect. She wants everyone to bloody well love her.” Nodding silently she wondered if her friend was right for she had noticed some things that suggested that Sirayn might have a basis for her belief, but then she didn't know the older sister at all and that just might be the way she was. “As far as I'm concerned, no punishment for Lanfir. She's forgiven. Wouldn't want her to get her pretty white hands dirty.” Jade sent Sirayn a warning look and lowered her hand down to indicate that the sister needed to calm down. Over the years they had developed a system of hand signals and looks that helped them both to stay calm in volatile situations.

Sirayn winced at the motion and closed her eyes before speaking, “Sorry. Temper gets the best of me.” Jade smiled softly and wondered if her sister had been counting to 10 or 20 as Sirayn often needed to calm herself. Sira returned her smile and reached over to link fingers with her before speaking, “Thanks for coming, sister.” Jade squeezed her fingers and nodded to acknowledge that no thanks was needed for they would always guard each other's backs as long as they lived. She turned her attention back to Lanfir and raised her eyebrows, waiting for the woman to declare Sirayn's punishment for her acts. “No punishment for Sirayn, either, Post-battle adrenaline makes us all a little crazy sometimes. I agree that our behavior was out of line, and I assure you that I will do my utmost best to keep my temper in check. This is indeed not becoming of Aes Sedai and the Green Ajah alike. I do think we need a talk one of these days, however.”

Jade nodded and waited with almost bated breath to find out how Sirayn would react to what Lanfir had said. “If there's something you want to say to me, Lanfir, you can say it in front of Jaydena, as far as I'm concerned. My remarks were out of line, and I apologise, for what it’s worth. But I'm a nasty piece of work and I do keep making these comments so if you have a delicate ego, we had better stay away from each other.” Chuckling ruefully she almost snorted at the truth of that comment. Her friend was contrary and prickly and proud of it. Sira squeezed her hand and set her steely gaze on the former ajah head.

"You know, Sirayn, all I wanted was to offer a bit of support to a battle leader after a gruesome battle. As colleagues. Or sisters to battle. Or as two women. I admire your strength and how you pulled us through this, and I wanted to tell you that." Jaydena smiled at that comment and was glad to see that Lanfir indeed did have some sense in her. Lanfir shrugged and then continued, "This whole ordeal, was the last thing I wanted. I hope this all was caused by post battle stress as much for you as it was for me, and that we can at least be sisters. I don't have to be your friend, Sirayn. I just want to guard your back, and I'd like you to guard mine. You fight well, and you're a treasure on the side of the Light." Jade gazed at Lanfir, maybe there was more to see then met the eye with this one and she hoped she would get a chance to find out what. Taya obviously liked her and Jade valued Taya's opinion highly. Though she found her puppy dog attitude of late un befitting a sitter. Lanfir was silent for a moment and then said, "That's all. Jade nodded and then stood helping Sirayn to her feet as the two woman stared each other down...

Jaydena Sedai

Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:35 am

: : : : Sirayn bit her tongue and said nothing when Lanfir said that she had only wanted to support her. As though she had any place accepting support from someone of Lanfir’s status as a living legend. As though she’d done anything but destroy the only Age of Legends city they were ever likely to find intact? Hearing the excuse of battle stress Sirayn resisted the temptation to snarl back that actually, she was this mean all the time, and not in the slightest ashamed of it. And at the insinuation she read into Lanfir’s words, that she wouldn’t protect Lanfir if it came to a battle, Sirayn prickled angrily. The harsh words came so easily to her tongue. I’m very good at risking my life for people who don’t care for me one jot; I may not be the shining star the Green Ajah wants, but I’m no traitor. But she restrained herself with an effort, and realised then that she had been reacting strongly to perceived slights, and had let rip with the scathing hostility that came so easily to her. Of course it didn’t help that when she got defensive, she had to react with a counter-attack.

: : : : I am losing a golden moment here. “Hold a moment, Lanfir.” Sirayn pushed herself suddenly and gracelessly to her feet, wincing and glad to accept Jaydena’s help, and faced the taller sister directly, “I’m sorry. I’m not myself. I never tried to obliterate an Age of Legends city that could have provided invaluable knowledge before, but it doesn’t sit too well with me. Not a habit to take up.” She wrinkled her nose with weary good humour, “I think circumstances are conspiring to let you see me at my worst every time we meet. I’d offer to take you out for a drink to make up for it, if I drank at all … guess I will have to be a bit more creative.” Sirayn took a deep breath and wondered suddenly and dispiritedly why she had to ruin everything. “Anyway, I’m sure you have things to do so I apologise & will guard my tongue better when we next meet. Thanks for the good intentions behind your visit.” There was a tiny spark of laughter in her eyes and in her voice as she said that considering the outcome of such innocence. “We shall speak anon.”

Sirayn Sedai
Learning diplomacy?