DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Stilling Of ... *spoiler*

mègon

This, I would qualify as a pseudo-spoiler, but I couldn't find anywhere else to put it, so here goes.

The Stilling Of Amico Nagoyin.

She's the Aes Sedai of the Black Ajah who is in charge of guarding the cell where Nynaeve, Elayne, and Egwene are being held in the belly of the Stone of Tear (ch. 55, What Is Written in Prophecy, TDR). In the previous chapter, Egwene uses her twisted ring ter'angreal to enter Tel'aran'rhiod, and, upon reaching the dungeons, she see's Amico fluttering in and out of the dream, and shields her. With the darkfriend shielded and stuck in tel'aran'rhiod she steps out of the dream.

*time shift*

Matt comes into the dungeons and notices Amico sitting there strangely stiff and half asleep. He takes the keys from her and opens the cell. The three women exit, after treating Matt like dirt and glaring at Juilin, and Nynaeve levels Amico with a well placed fist.

"Something changed about her when you hit her, Nynaeve." Egwene says and Elayne pipes in "I felt it, too."

In the beginning of TSR in explains that Amico was stilled during her capture. I assume that the change the women felt was Amico's ability being cut.

The question, though, is why did this still her? I think it's something about her being trapped in a state somewhere between sleeping and waking, then being knocked unconscious. Anyone have any other input?

Guest Barmacral

Egwene, while possibly not realizing it at the time, may have used the stilling weave rather than a shield.

My suspicion is that she was burned out by the ter'angreal. Remember that you cannot touch tel'aran'rhiod when you are unconcious, and because of the shield she was stuck partially in tel'aran'rhiod. When Egwene struck her and knocked her out it severed he ability from the strain.

It actually appears that Egwene might have been the one that did the stilling.

In TSR, Chapter 54, Into the Palace, when Nynaeve begins to fight with Moghedien she forms the "...knife-sharp shield that Egwene had used to still Amico..."

So I'm guessing it was a mix of sharp shield "more weapon than shield" and the ter'angreal.

I think they could be severed then re-healed with saidin and return to full strength but i don't see this actually happening in AMOL. It's too minor. I have a different question though. Can being burnt out be healed? It seems like the wound is different. There was a scene in Ebou Dar where Setalle Anan, who was burned out, cant where the a'dam period. Stilled Siuane and leane can where the a'dam they just cant make it work. Has this been answered anywhere?

There was a scene in Ebou Dar where Setalle Anan, who was burned out, cant where the a'dam period. Stilled Siuane and leane can where the a'dam they just cant make it work. Has this been answered anywhere?

Actually we don't know this for sure. It is possible that Setelle sensed Joline through the a'dam, but didn't mention anything because she thought it was normal. Concidering the movement of the bracelet caused Joline immense pain straight away, proving that Setelle would not work as a sul'dam, and the fact that everyone was focused immediately on Joline's pain would have both stopped her mentioning the curiosity of the feelings she recieved through the a'dam, and have put paid to any desire for her to play the sul'dam. After that its unlikely she would have mentioned anything, so we simply cannot state that she didn't feel anything.

Remember, too, that Moghedian's a'dam was different, and didn't cause pain when moved by someone other then a sul'dam. It was intentionally constructed to allow Moghedian greater freedom by Elayne. So, again, we do not know if Suine or Leane could have wielded a normal a'dam without causing pain.

That being said, being burned out does seem more complete. Concider that those who are burned out cannot even sense the source, whilst those that are stilled can... we shall simply have to see.

• Community Administrator

It might be possible that a male channeler might be able to just heal those two with out stilling them again.. In fact, stilling them again, might just make the most they can be 'healed' again where they are at now.

At what point is it mentioned that Setalle Anan was burnt out? I don't remember reading that.

As the the healing of stilling. I've pondered on that a lot. It is said many times that once something is already healed, it cannot be healed again. Nynaeve tries a second time on both Siuan and Leane and cannot heal it anymore than it already is.

I think it may require a second severing, but it may be that an Ashaman can go and bore the whole in the wound bigger to put them back to their full strength. I remember Nynaeve describing it as boring a hole, but it's been a while.

Amico: I think she was stilled in TAR, and was normal in the waking world. However, she was trapped in both TAR and the waking world, and when thumped, was sent fully into TAR, thus, stilling her. Remember that the more fully someone is drawing on the OP, the harder it is to shield/still them unless you're much, much more powerful than them. Amico had a connection in both worlds to saidar, and once her connection in the waking world was lost, through being knocked out, she was stilled in TAR and then the real world. Thats the impression I got anyway.

mègon, 1) It was mentioned in either KoD or CoT that she was burnt out through the use of a ter'angreal I believe. There're oblique references to her being burnt out earlier in the books, "Find the one who is no longer" or something similar, when the trio were hunting for the Bowl of the Winds (Taken to refer to Setalle once being an Aes Sedai and thus is no longer one) but its in either KoD or CoT that it was outright stated.

2) I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about, boring holes in wounds, as Nyn specifically describes it as a feeling of a connection being cut. An Asha'man could possibly do some more to them, but as we've not yet seen this happen, we'll have to wait to see if it does happen.

In KoD Mat calls Setelle on having once been Aes Sedai, and Setelle agrees that indeed she was. Earlier on Vandene speaks of an Aes Sedai named Martine Jenata who was the last woman to study ter'angreal, and who was burnt out studying one.

Between the timeline of her being burnt out, and Setelle's reaction to, and knowledge of, Mat's ter'angreal, it seems pretty certain that she was at one stage Martine.

Archived