DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Brown Ajah Chocolate Week – Kitchen Counter Recipes

E James Todd

So I hear that this is the last day of Chocolate Week, and I have this pie thing that people are curious about.  I was sort of tossing around the idea of if there would be interest in people knowing how to make it or not...but clearly that can't be the case.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, so the promised treat at the end of the delicious road we've traveled together.

Black Bottom Pie

This is one of the few recipes in the Todd kitchen that doesn't actually originate with the Todds, but that doesn't mean it's not still good!  It comes from a hamlet just outside where I went to university, from a hole-in-the-wall restaurant that went out of business well over thirty years ago.  They were known for two things: soups, and pies.  And ooooooh my goodness, the pies.  Some of them are interesting, some of them are pretty tasty, but this one reigns supreme.

What is written in their cookbook is itself a cut above the other recipes, but I took a few liberties in what I take as my pie recipe.  Unlike other recipes, this book breaks down the ingredients by each individual section; I've found it works well for making it, but may play havoc with the acquisition of the things.

Also, this pie is addicting.  You have been warned.

Also, I have been blamed for at least one baby-child being made because of this pie.  You have further been warned.

/\

< • >

\/

Crust

• 2 tbsp butter

• either ~30 Oreos, without filling;

or

• 1 case Pepperidge Farms Chessmen or similar cookie (reference: https://www.amazon.com/Pepperidge-Farm-Chessmen-Cookies-7-25-ounce/dp/B004P7QDH8?th=1 )

• 2-3 tbsp cocoa powder

Preheat oven to 350°F.  If using Oreos, scrape out filling, place cookies in plastic bag, and use rolling pin to crush into desired consistency.  If using Chessmen, place cookies and cocoa powder in plastic bag and use rolling pin to crush into desired consistency.  (I like leaving a few small chunks so there's variety in the crust; some people like super-fine cookie dust as their crust.)  Melt butter and add to bag, mixing until cookie remnants are finely coated.  Dump cookie mixture into 9-inch pie pan and even out to cover the sides.  Bake for 10 minutes before removing from oven and letting cool.

Filling

• 1 1/3 cups sugar

• 1 1/2 tablespoons flour

• 3 eggs

• 1 1/2 cups milk

Mix sugar and flour together in medium saucepan.  Separate eggs and chill egg yolk for later use.  Add egg yolks and milk to dry ingredients.  Cook over medium heat, stirring until the mixture boils and forms a custard.

• 2 oz unsweetened chocolate

• 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract*

Melt chocolate in small bowl.  Add vanilla, then immediately add 1 cup of the cooked custard and stir well.  Spread over the bottom of crust.

• 1 tbsp unflavored gelatin**

• 1/4 cup cold water

While chocolate is melting, add gelatin in water, mixing with a fork, and chill in the freezer.  Once chocolate layer has been added to crust (or once gelatin has hardened), bring out of freezer and stir into remaining custard.  Chill custard.

• Egg whites

• 1/4 tsp cream of tartar

• 1/3 cup sugar

• 1 tbsp vanilla extract

While custard is cooling, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy.***  Add sugar to egg whites, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff and glossy; then beat in vanilla extract.  Fold mixture into custard until the two are indistinguishable, then pour over chocolate layer in crust.  Chill the almost-pie.

Whipped Cream

• 2 cups heavy cream

• 4 tbsp powdered sugar

• 2 tsp vanilla extract

Beat cream until almost stiff.  Gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla.  Beat until stiff.  Spread over top of chocolate pie.

Sprinkle with grated semi-sweet or dark chocolate on top.  Makes 1 9-inch (not nearly enough) pie.

/\

< • >

\/

* I also add in a touch of mint extract to mine, because I like minty things.  That's a personal preference, and I leave that to the baker's decision.  The pie does quite well without it.

** You can substitute this entire step for 1/4 cup tapioca pearls to make the recipe vegetarian-friendly.

*** If you need to bounce around the kitchen either cleaning or attending other things, you can let the beater run for a bit here.  Egg whites aren't as finicky as heavy cream.

WARNING: The contents of this recipe are incredibly dangerous.

Know the full effects before you preheat the oven.

Please bake responsibly.

Oh my that's a lovely pie :ohmy:

.... and I have all of these things except the tartar in my home right now....

The way you do this pie reminds me of my tia luz's fluffy wonderful sweet potato pie... but.... with chocolate....

thank you, James. You write delicious pictures :happy:

Ok, so, how do we organize the dessert deliveries?

This recipe came from the "Elsah Landing Cookbook," written before the titular restaurant closed its doors and (by popular demand) later re-opened later.  The second restaurant to bear the name is still in business today, according to my limited knowledge of the world so far away from me.

https://www.amazon.com/Elsah-Landing-Restaurant-Cookbook/dp/0960615008

This recipe came from the "Elsah Landing Cookbook," written before the titular restaurant closed its doors and (by popular demand) later re-opened later.  The second restaurant to bear the name is still in business today, according to my limited knowledge of the world so far away from me.

https://www.amazon.com/Elsah-Landing-Restaurant-Cookbook/dp/0960615008

Thank you!

To my knowledge, it only  exists in used and hardcover.  The cookbooks were from the first restaurant, and have since gone out of print.

And just to be that special kind of enabler...

https://www.amazon.com/Elsah-Landing-Heartland-Cooking-Crafton/dp/0960615016/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1487473364&sr=1-1&keywords=elsah+landing+heartland+cooking

Archived