DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Red Ajah Spring Masquerade Discussion - Masks we all wear.

Torrie

Our personalities and how we use them have been a discussion for years, with many different theories becoming popular. In 1890, William James proposed his theory that personalities develop through childhood and are fully formed and unchanging in adulthood. This has been the general thought process since, but now many psychologists think as adults we change our personalities based on our surroundings. The Myers-Briggs personality test is a great way to understand your base personality and this Quiz is a good start on understanding your personality.

After taking your test show us your results, but let us know:

1) Do you change personalities based on your situation?

2) Are there certain people who you conform to their personalities?

3) How has your personality changed from when you are a child?

Quiz

I got INFP - I generally verge on the edge between I and E so sometimes I get ENFP and sometimes INFP.

Humanmetrics Jung Typology Test™

Your Type

INFP

Introvert(3%)  iNtuitive(22%) Feeling(38%)  Perceiving(9%)

You have marginal or no preference of Introversion over Extraversion (3%)You have slight preference of Intuition over Sensing (22%)You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (38%)You have slight preference of Perceiving over Judging (9%)

1) I do not. If I find myself being different, I scold myself. I hate it when people do that - it feels two-faced.

2) No. As above. I do have a friend that does - she treats and acts completely differently when I'm with her, compared to when others join, or when she's with someone else.

3) Quite a bit. As a child I was child-like, carefree, happy-go-lucky and naive. Now, I've experienced quite a bit more. I still try to be happy-go-lucky, but my eyes are open to the world now. I often find myself being very negative.

In terms of where I live: I've definitely changed according to my surroundings. I used to live in a student village of a single culture. Now I'm surrounded by 4/5 cultures daily, in a school where everyone communicates and is highly dependent on social behaviour. I'll change everytime I reach a drastically different situation - adapt, if you will. At my core I believe I'll stay the same.

I got INTJ ^^

1) Yes, there's a whole world of difference between RL me and me at work :tongue: It is scary (I am in HR, so I have to behave like a extroverted lawful good person).

Now in general, since I am quite an introverted person, I am only myself around people I know.

2) Well, only at work, I'll say. As I said, as HR I have to help people with personal/work problems. So I adapt /try to be very assertive to make them feel comfortable. Also Boss has a "strong personality". Everybody behaves differently when around him lol

3) I think that I have always been introverted. So that has not really changed. I can hide it better now though :tongue:

I guess I am less naïve than before and less willing to trust. I also take more time to analyze a situation, before acting.

INTP
Introvert(25%)  iNtuitive(56%)  Thinking(3%)  Perceiving(34%)

You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (25%)
You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (56%)
You have marginal or no preference of Thinking over Feeling (3%)
You have moderate preference of Perceiving over Judging (34%)

Pretty much the only letters that have ever remained constant on these tests are Intuitive and perceiving - sometimes I get extrovert and usually I get feeling.

If I am near people I trust, I am a lot more open, happy, and show a lot of emotion. With most of everyone else though (those I don't trust), I am very stoic and often quiet. 

With certain people, like my mentor, I try to study them and then try to act more like them because their personality seems more appropriate to a given setting or I admire them and want to be more like them.

Hasn't really changed much other than I am more intense about things but a little more clever to temper that out.

ENTJ

Extravert(28%)  iNtuitive(3%)  Thinking(3%)  Judging(34%)

• You have moderate preference of Extraversion over Introversion (28%)
  • You have marginal or no preference of Intuition over Sensing (3%)
  • You have marginal or no preference of Thinking over Feeling (3%)
  • You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (34%)

Not usually - I am pretty much the same in any situation. 

Nope!

Not a lot! I've been outgoing all my life and I still am. If anything I am just more confident in my own skin now, than I used to be. 

1) Do you change personalities based on your situation? No.
2) Are there certain people who you conform to their personalities? No.
3) How has your personality changed from when you are a child?  I'm more wise.

Your Type
INTJ
Introvert(12%)  iNtuitive(41%)  Thinking(34%)  Judging(9%)
  • You have slight preference of Introversion over Extraversion (12%)
  • You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (41%)
  • You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (34%)
  • You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (9%)

1) Do you change personalities based on your situation? Yes - at work, for instance, I have to act much harder that I actually am, but sometimes also much nicer than I actually am.

2) Are there certain people who you conform to their personalities? Yes - see above

3) How has your personality changed from when you are a child?  I'm a hell of a lot more disillusioned and untrusting and grumpy, yes

ENFJ

Careers: Counseling

Psychology

Social Work

Education

Extravert(44%)  iNtuitive(53%)  Feeling(28%)  Judging(9%)
  • You have moderate preference of Extraversion over Introversion (44%)
  • You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (53%)
  • You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (28%)
  • You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (9%)

ENFJs are organized in the arena of interpersonal affairs. Their offices may or may not be cluttered, but their conclusions (reached through feelings) about people and motives are drawn much more quickly and are more resilient than those of their NFP counterparts.

ENFJs know and appreciate people. Like most NFs, (and Feelers in general), they are apt to neglect themselves and their own needs for the needs of others. They have thinner psychological boundaries than most, and are at risk for being hurt or even abused by less sensitive people. ENFJs often take on more of the burdens of others than they can bear.

ISTP
Introvert(41%) Sensing(6%) Thinking(44%) Perceiving(16%)
You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (41%)
You have slight preference of Sensing over Intuition (6%)
You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (44%)
You have slight preference of Perceiving over Judging (16%)

1) Do you change personalities based on your situation? Yes. At the core I am the same. But there are many different groups in my life who I change personalities for. I think I am most myself around my husband and sister, but around my parents, I have to be a little more proper. There is no way I could curse in front of my parents. But then at work, I am a sales person and my personality changes based on the person I am trying to sell to. Around strangers in a social setting, I am very reserved and hardly ever talk, I just watch. 

2) Are there certain people who you conform to their personalities? I guess see above. lo 

3) How has your personality changed from when you are a child? I used to be very very naive. Now, I understand that not everyone is willing just to help. I was very hurt when I found this out. 

One question theorist have developed is if people can change their personality by choice.

Even if we accept that some people seem to go through fundamental changes in personality, the question still remains whether people can choose to change, or whether change is always thrust on them.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~thlab/pubs/94_Heatherton_CanPers_ch.pdf

1) Have you ever tried to change your personality? I.E. Weight loss, stopping or starting a habit.

2) Where you successful in that change?

3) Do you feel like you can change your personality?

1. I think one's personality is formed by many things including inborn temperament and the reaction to the environment.  IMO, those are pretty solid things.  In psychiatry a "personality disorder" is viewed mostly as "incurable" but can be helped by cognitive/dialectical behavior therapy.  I don't think the core elements of a personality can be changed.  I think behaviors can be changed such as diet or stopping and starting a habit.

2. I have been successful with changes of behaviors.

3. No.

1. I think one's personality is formed by many things including inborn temperament and the reaction to the environment.  IMO, those are pretty solid things.  In psychiatry a "personality disorder" is viewed mostly as "incurable" but can be helped by cognitive/dialectical behavior therapy.  I don't think the core elements of a personality can be changed.  I think behaviors can be changed such as diet or stopping and starting a habit.

2. I have been successful with changes of behaviors.

3. No.

I would pretty much echo what Ryrin has said on this:

1) Have you ever tried to change your personality? I.E. Weight loss, stopping or starting a habit. - I think there's a difference between personality and behaviour/habits

2) Where you successful in that change? - I've managed to change some behaviour, like smoking.

3) Do you feel like you can change your personality? - No. I think you're born with it. I think some things can be "polished" in early childhood, but that's about it.

1) Have you ever tried to change your personality? I have been trying to change it the past few years now. I don't know if it is possible - maybe you only change or modify some accessory behaviours that might make it look like you changed drastically but the totality of your personality remains mostly the same

2) Where you successful in that change? It's a work in progress and remains to be seen.

3) Do you feel like you can change your personality? See above. I guess to elaborate a little more, I am mostly of the belief that you just become more or less of what you can be, though that might just be one way of looking at it/conceptualising it. Calling it an actual change could be just another way of framing it.

• Elgee locked this topic

Archived