DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Earthbound Returns!

bgrishinko

Lol. You know it. My copy has been sitting in a mysterious box of my stuff since college and is in one of 3 different states since my family moved a few times. Oregon, California, or Arizona... And I'm in Texas.

Ones a legal copy giving royalties to the people who made it. The other is usually an illegal glitchy sub par hacked copy of the game with fast forward and restore points and cheats that dilute what it is like to play the game. Not to mention the improvised cruddy control schemes.

• Community Administrator
Ones a legal copy giving royalties to the people who made it.

Unless that company is  gone in the wind, then its given to whomever owns the rights to it currently. :wink:

The other is usually an illegal glitchy sub par hacked copy of the game with fast forward and restore points and cheats that dilute what it is like to play the game. Not to mention the improvised cruddy control schemes.

Take it, the version you tried sucked? :tongue:

Ones a legal copy giving royalties to the people who made it.

Unless that company is  gone in the wind, then its given to whomever owns the rights to it currently. :wink:

The other is usually an illegal glitchy sub par hacked copy of the game with fast forward and restore points and cheats that dilute what it is like to play the game. Not to mention the improvised cruddy control schemes.

Take it, the version you tried sucked? :tongue:

Lol. I've used emulators for games that weren't released in the USA (okay... so it was the sequel to Earthbound...). But I just feel wrong and dirty. I'm oldschool that way. I also don't torrent movies (unless we need Chinese subtitles, my wife's from China and movies like Harry Potter and LotR have too much wacky language it goes over her head). 

I don't mind giving money to whoever has the rights to it currently. It shows we liked that game and gives them incentive to do more stuff like it even if they didn't originally make it. I like to pay the right people for what I enjoy. This is why I don't like GameStop's business model either. If it were up to me, only games older than a year would be able to be sold on the used market. I love the stores I can go in and find old nintendo, PS1, PS2, or games from like 5 years ago. But when I go in and see a used Halo 4 retailing for $50 used next to a new $60 copy... I bristle. Buy new! Give money to the developers!

Emulator ROMS are actually protected under Fair Use international copyright laws. Legally, you are supposed to delete the game after 24 hours if you do not own a physical copy.

*shrug* I know that I am rare, but after I pirate something (song, movie, whatever), I either enjoy it, in which case I go buy a legit copy, or I hate it, delete it, and save $60. I can test drive a car, try on shoes, but am stuck with spending my money on a ticket to a movie that turned out bad, or a game that was rushed through development to put cash in the publishers pocket?? (Hate to tell you, bg, but 80% of every dime you spend on a game goes to the publisher, not the developer.)

True, but 0% goes to the developer on used sales. Plus, if the game is a good one, the publishers pay the developers more.

Also, almost every game has demos.

Also, see this page about emulator faqs. You are wrong about the 24 hour thing.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=29927

• Community Administrator

True, but 0% goes to the developer on used sales. Plus, if the game is a good one, the publishers pay the developers more.

Also, almost every game has demos.

Also, see this page about emulator faqs. You are wrong about the 24 hour thing.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=29927

Note: I was under the impression that if you owned the actual games, and had the hardware/software to get the files off the cartridges, you were legally able to use those in an emulator. (like you are legally able, at least on older video games, to make a backup copy of said game disc. Its in there, they discontinued that line for obvious reasons, but you used to be able to, legally)

Jailbreaking a device was deemed legal, so are archival copies. Whatever. DMCA was a crock of crap anyway, and copyright law needs to get upgraded. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware Every ROM from the PS1 backwards falls under this, it seems. No matter :)

So, you are against used games?? What about used cars, movies, books, computers, clothes, furniture...

I have no problem with people craigslisting or eBay in their stuff. I just think GameStop building an entire business model around it is horrible. They are a leech on the system. Most those things aren't comparable anyway, more like used movies and music as an apt comparison.

It's not necessarily about the format (floppy verse CD, VHS vs DVD). Abandonware has to do with when a company is no longer supporting the software/device. I still own an SNES (thank the gods that thing is indestructible). What happens when it finally dies? I'm just out the 500 or so dollars I have invested in this product and the software? Emulators give me a way to continue to enjoy a product I have paid for, that I can no longer obtain/repair/support. But I understand the differing opinion.

I believe anything used, from vehicle to software to games, IS comparable. *shrug* Auto manufacturer's don't get paid when a used car is sold, furniture maker's aren't paid when a couch sells on eBay, Sandra Bullock doesn't get paid when someone buys a used DVD of "Pretty Woman", and Obsidian didn't get paid when I just bought "Fallout: New Vegas" used.

How can you want to protect some of the "poor unpaid" in the used goods market, and not others? Of course, I DO agree that selling a used game at the same time the game is still "fresh" (your above example with Halo 4) is BS. Perhaps a time limit before a game can be sold as used by a commercial entity?

Sounds good to me. And really I don't have an issue if you've got a physical copy of the game that's not playable. But many people use the abandonware philosophy as an excuse to play old games free.

Archived