DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Old Habits (Attn Kyn)

Andrej

Lewin yawned as he walked down the dirt path from the barracks towards the training yards. His jaw cracked as he raised a fist to stifle the yawn, but even so his eyes closed while he inhaled deeply. It seemed no matter how much sleep he managed to get each night he still woke up exhausted. It had only been a week since he'd arrived at the Tower, and thus far his training was proving tougher than he expected. His muscles ached with soreness, his hands raw from climbing ropes and other obstacles for what seemed like hours on end. He rolled his shoulders, finding them stiff, and crunched along the path with reddened eyes.

He had signed up for this, after all, but he found himself enjoying the rigorous exercise. Even this was better than standing guard duty outside some merchant's shop. He smiled and nodded to a few of the other trainees that he had made acquaintances with during his short stay, receiving gestures in kind before the groups began to split up into their various training teams. Lewin seperated himself into his usual group, moving his limbs to warm them up before beginning a series of stretches that he had been taught. He took a deep breath and bent at the waist, crossing his right ankle over the other and attempting to reach his toes. He found that he was rather flexible and was able to brush the dew covered grass with his fingertips. Bent over as he was, his braids dangled about his face but no longer jingled. He had been reluctant to remove the traditional bells, a sign of his heritage, but had done so at the request of one of his instructors. A simple cord tied at the end of each braid held them together now.

With the stretches complete, Lewin gathered around the instructor that typically led his group, wondering what was on their agenda today. More obstacle course? Perhaps a countless number of laps around the training grounds again? He sighed at the possibilities, but instead perked up when his name was suddenly called out by the tough-looking man. "Trainee Kell!"

He responded, jogging around to the front of the ground. "Yes sir?" he asked, respectfully clasping his hands behind his back. The older man eyed him a moment, and then smirked as if he knew some joke that Lewin wasn't aware of. He spoke again. "You don't belong to me today. I want you to go find Master Kynwric, he has requested to take up your training this morning. Now go, and good luck."

Lewin frowned at the man's words. Good luck? What was that supposed to mean? Just as quickly as he had dismissed Lewin, the man turned back to the group and began to bark out orders for them to form a line. Shrugging his shoulders, Lewin stepped off to the side and surveyed the training grounds and eventually found a single man, a senior member of the Guard based on his uniform, standing alone near a weapons rack. Lewin trotted over, taking advantage of the short run to allow his legs to loosen up a bit. As he arrived, the man's back was still to him.

"Master Kynwric? I was instructed to come see you."

Edited by Andrej

Visar frowned, lost in thought next to a training weapon rack. He was interrupted from his random reverie by someone right behind him, whom he had not noticed sneak uo behind him. Concealing his annoyance that he was letting his guard down, he turned around.

"Master Kynwric? I was instructed to come see you."

Visar blinked for a moment, now confused. He shook his head, finding the situation strangely awkward but also not a little humorous.

"Master Kynwric? No, I'm Visar Falmaien, but i'm flattered you confused me with him," he said with a smile. "I trained under him myself; you could not ask for a better teacher. Now where was he..." He scanned the yards for Kynwric, and soon found him, sparring with another warder. The warder was having trouble and was already winded. Sword and shield was a tiring fight, and required patience that this warder, and Visar too, rarely possesed. Visar walked the trainee over.

"Come with me trainee, and i'll show you to master Kynwric. It appears as if he's just finishing up with his last victim," visar observed.sure enough, Kynwric thrashed the other warder to the ground with a decisive shield bash. The man went shakily to his feet, bowed to the blademaster, and then limped off to the infirmary to tend to his many wounds. Kynwric looked over at them, cam

Visar grimaced, and the wince turned into one of sympathy to the trainee. Visar knew Kynwric to be an excellent teacher, and always in control--Visar had never been seriously injured fighting him--, but that almost made him more frightening to fight. That said, he was one of the best. Whoever this trainee was, he probably already showed potential if he was requested personally by Kynwric.

"The Light preserve you, lad," Visar whispered. "Kynwric Gaiden, this trainee here at your request. Goood luck trainee," he said louder and with what he hoped was a more reassuring smile. He turned and walked away, trying to remember what he had been thinking of earlier.

-Visar, one post siliness :p

Lewin saw the confusion on the man's face and frowned as well. Was he mistaken? True, he had approached not knowing whether or not he had the right person in mind, but seeing as how the man had been standing by these weapon racks as if waiting for someone...

Lewin flushed with embarrassment as Visar introduced himself. Lewin forced an apologetic smile, but he was the embarrassment showed on his face. "My apologies Master Visar. I was... mistaken." He cleared his throat gently, turning to follow Visar's gaze as he surveyed the training yards. Lewin glanced sideways at Visar as he spoke of Master Kynwric's latest victim, and soon his curiosity was answered when he saw the pair of sparring Warders in a nearby circle.

One was obviously in control, his motions smooth and purposeful as he squared off with his opponent. Lewin admired their deadly grace. The accuracy of their attacks and the smoothness of their defense. Lewin had no experience fighting with a shield, and hardly anything to be considered real training with a sword. He winced as the dominant figure struck down his opponent with a powerful bash. Lewin had better learn quickly, or he thought he wouldn't make it out of today's training.

One of the men limped away in defeat. He heard Visar's words and felt his stomach clinch slightly. He was beginning to realize that the luck everyone kept wishing him would apparently be needed. "Thank you Master Visar..." Lewin replied as the man gave him a reassuring smile, hoping that his voice didn't sound too light. He then turned back to Kynwric Gaiden, his braids giving a slight swing from the moment before he saluted respectfully and introduced himself. "Good morning Master Kynwric... I am trainee Lewin Kell. You requested to see me?"

Lewin attempted not to appear to be sizing up Kynwric too much, but his instincts betrayed him. He knew, obviously, his skill was no match for the other man's but perhaps he could identify some sort of weakness? It was a fleeting hope. He noticed that despite the intense duel having just ended, Kynwric didn't even appear to have broken a sweat.

Kynwric watched the trainee he had just finished working with limp off, he shook his head in disgust. He hated teaching that way, but that partocular boy just wouldn’t listen to words and the only thing that seemed to get through his thick skull was a series of welts showing him what was wrong with his defense. He still wasn’t sure how he was going to teach that wool-head offense… it wasn’t as if he could beat it into him. He saw the approaching pair out of the corner of his eye but paid them no mind until Visar spoke his name.

"Kynwric Gaiden, this trainee here at your request. Good luck trainee,"

“Thank you Visar, two more days ‘til our next spar, yes?” Kyn said with a slight nod of his head to the other man there. He already knew the skill Visar possessed, there was little left that could be taught to him through words concerning the physical parts of fighting… he just had to wrap his head around the psychology of it now. But today was not for focusing on Visar, it was this newcomer who had shown up in the yards with a sword strapped to his back.

Good morning Master Kynwric... I am trainee Lewin Kell. You requested to see me?"

“Lewin, yes?” Kyn carried on without waiting for an answer. “You came here with a sword in your possession? Tell me about it.” While he let Lewin speak, he examined the young man, looking at his posture and bearing and a number of other things that could make or break a swordsman. He was half listening to Lewin tell his story of his sword until partway through he held a hand up, “Enough. You wish to continue working with the sword?”

Lewin watched the brief exchange between the two men before he was left alone with Kynwric. He turned to regard the man again, although his gaze was respectful. He had only been told briefly by Visar the kind of swordsman that Kynwric was, but seeing him in action only proved to solidify the reputation. Kynwric, apparently, was a straight-forward person.

"Tell me about it."

Lewin stood at ease as he began to explain. He started with how he had come to find work as a merchant's guard, and that originally the sword had only been a loan. He spoke of Uled and fondly recounted the older guard's teachings, although to Kynwric that would likely all be wrong. Or at least, not proper. Lewin knew enough to not skewer himself. While he spoke, Lewin made gestures with his hands. It was an unconscious movement, he did it without really thinking, but his stance seemed to naturally be about the width of his shoulders. He was as tall or taller than most of the men he'd encountered in his life, and possessed long limbs. They had filled out over the years, as a boy he had been considerably lanky, but now here appeared more spry.

He cut off as Kynwric asked his next request, regarding Lewin seriously. Caught midsentence, it took him a moment before he responded. He allow his hands to fall naturally back to his sides, and his face took on a look of determination. "Yes, Master Kynwric. I wish to continue."

Lewin wasn't apprehensive, surprisingy. What he found, instead, was that he was eager to learn from this man. Visar had referred to him with such respect. Lewin was finding himself somewhat awed that he had been summoned personally.

"Good." Kyn pointed to a heavy set door, bound with iron strapping. "That is the armory of the White Tower. In it you will find every weapon you've ever heard of and few you likely haven't. Go find what you think fits you, when you're done come back and we'll begin. Choose wisely Lewin, the sword does not make the man, but it can unmake him and quite rapidly." As the young man moved off towards the armory Kyn watched, he had a swordsman's movements, even if they were unpolished and rough. He could make a superb swordsman, if he put his all into it and didn't think that good was good enough."

OOC: Sorry so short, something to move you along...

Lewin did as he was instructed. He turned, looking over at the building that Kynwric had indicated. He nodded that he understood and took off at a brisk jog towards it.

Reaching the heavy door, Lewin threw his weight into it while he pushed, forcing it open. The guard on duty recognized Lewin's trainee uniform and allowed him to enter to examine the weapons. Racks and shelves extended the length of the building. Lewin had never seen so much weaponry before. He stared in awe for a few moments before he remembered he was on a mission. Kynwric's words echoed in his mind.

"Choose wisely Lewin."

He walked slowly along the racks of swords, eyeing them with what he hoped was an informed eye. He knew that the blade he had come with was a crude weapon, but he had kept it for its sentimental value. He picked up several, testing the weight and balance in his grip. He was afraid to choose wrongly. After dismissing several, mostly short swords like the one he had come with, he found the one. It the blade was a little less than the length of his arm. It held a single edge and was curved slightly. It was light when he picked it up, yet he felt that it was also sturdy. He gave it a slight swing and smiles as he heard the air splitting around it. Marvelous.

Lewin sheathed the blade carefully, clutching it in one hand as he exited the armory and quickly jogged back to the waiting Kynwric. He knew this was somewhat of a test. He had hoped he had chosen correctly. Kynwric's gaze no indication as to whether he approved or not.

Edited by Andrej

• 2 weeks later...

Kyn waited while Lewin sorted through the armory, he knew from experience that just finding something close to what you wanted could take a while and so he wasn’t truly expecting the young man to return anytime soon. In the meantime he turned his attention to another pair who were sparring in the ring, he watched as the two executed a perfectly posed forms, exactly how they were supposed to look straight from the manual, if there had been a manual. Kyn held out no hopes that either of these men would ever be good for anything more than patrols and soldiering, they could follow instructions and orders to the letter but they had all the imagination of a Whitecloak and doubted either of them could improvise their way out of their own beds. There wasn’t much else to be done with them, several had tried to beat them out of their methodical ways and they had finally been sent to him, to see if he had any words of wisdom to help them improve. At the end of their fourth spar, all of which had been dreadfully the same, Kyn told them to stop… right up until he saw Lewin approaching again.

Ah, good, perhaps some good can come from this after all he thought. He gruffly told the pair to begin again and then in a softer voice so the sparring pair couldn’t see told Lewin, “Watch them, tell me what you see.” In the meantime Kyn examined the weapon hanging from the young man’s waist, it was a popular blade for Borderlanders, slightly curved, long and single-edged. It made for a much different fighting style than the one Kyn preferred himself, but it was a solid choice. He let Lewin watch the spar, Kyn paid it cursory attention, knowing what he was looking at nearly from the sounds of the other men’s boots on the ground and the way the swords clanged together at different pitches and tones. When they were finished he dismissed the pair with a wave of his hand and then turned to his real lesson for the day. “Well?”