DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Most lucrative game?

Lilbaz

Is the football championship playoff final (Engaland), the most lucrative game in world sport?

The team that wins will go from tv revenue of about £2.5m to £60m (at least next season for finishing bottom). they will also be guaranteed parachute payments of £59m if they are relegated. 

Add to this, extra ticket sales and merchandising this game could be the difference of £150m between winner and loser.

Is there any other game to compare?

While the Super Bowl is lucrative to the tv network airing it, it is nowhere near as lucrative to the teams playing in it as the aforementioned soccer match. 

150 million english pounds is something like $228 million which goes to the winner of the game.  That is a phenomenal payoff for one game. 

In contrast, players participating in the Super Bowl take home individual bonuses of $88,000 (2012 winners) or about half that for the losers.  If an NFL roster had 50 players (not sure how large the rosters are so just guessing) the number is less than $4.5 million total for those payouts. That's chump change in comparison.

• Community Administrator

While the Super Bowl is lucrative to the tv network airing it, it is nowhere near as lucrative to the teams playing in it as the aforementioned soccer match. 

150 million english pounds is something like $228 million which goes to the winner of the game.  That is a phenomenal payoff for one game. 

In contrast, players participating in the Super Bowl take home individual bonuses of $88,000 (2012 winners) or about half that for the losers.  If an NFL roster had 50 players (not sure how large the rosters are so just guessing) the number is less than $4.5 million total for those payouts. That's chump change in comparison.

That just goes to agents taking the first/good deal they get for the players, and team owners being cheap. :wink:

But then, we don't really have as many riots, and outrageous things people do because their teams win/lose. <_<

I dread the day, soccer becomes a religion.... O_O

NFL has a 52 player roster (not couting practice squad), total payouts to the winning and losing teams is 6.5+ million. If the practice squad gets paind as well then it would at most double, I'm not sure the size of the practice squads.

The superbowl isn't even the most watched. It has a reach of over a billion viewers but only about 167m tuned in. Last season over 300m watched Man Utd vs Liverpool in the premier league.The same amount watched the Champions League final, 620m watched the world cup final in 2010. Soccer is massive now and getting bigger. The new tv deal for the premier league has gone up by 70% starting next year (£5.5bn $8.38bn) for 3 years.

And us fans aren't all flare toting loonies, either :dry:

It's definitely the biggest payoff in sport. There's no other single game that can match that kind of prize money paid directly to the club. 

Could you imagine trying to overcome your pre-match jitters, knowing that that much is on the line? Hoooooooooooooly hell.

I'm hoping Palace get up, purely because Jedi(nak), central mid, used to play for my local Mariners a few years ago. Never thought I'd see a Mariner playing in the Premier League, that is for sure. Although that being said we've got Montgommery, a former Sheffield Unitied player. Times has changed. Come on Aussie...

I don't know how it works in European sports but I know over here in the U.S. a big part of the payout comes from endorsement deals after winning a big title for a lot of star athletes.

It will depend on the players contract. Some bonuses include, appearance bonus, goal scoring bonus or bonuses dependant on how the team did. A lot of the players will probably receive a bonus for getting promoted.

Archived