DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Favorite Sweets.

Ryrin

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spiced Molasses Cookies: Also known as "Gingerbread that won't break your teeth." Seriously. The cookbook we have had (and even my Grandmother used) has a recipe for gingerbread, but also a recipe for molasses cookies (spiced option included.) The differences between the two are minimal. The ingredients are almost identical (though there's far less flour needed for molasses cookies on top of a couple of other minor differences). The difference in product: when you bake this one, it comes out softer (you can make a normal gingerbread cookie with it in place of the gingerbread recipe. Add more flour, get a firm cookie that doesn't crack). SO good! 

molasses-cookies.jpg?ea6e46

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I love scones! It's hard to find really good, traditional scones these days. So normally I make them myself, or wait until I visit somewhere that I know sells a good, classic style of scone. 

This, is a Cranberry Oat Scone, just because they look tasty. (I have not tried this recipe.) 

cranberry-oat-scones-recipe.jpg

Cuccidata - a hand made Cicilian christmas cookie made of 13-14 different ingredients ground into a filling and wrapped in a dough that's only a little stronger than pie crust.  It's like taking a bite of heaven when you get one fresh out of the oven.

fig-cookies_on-plate.jpg

In terms of general purchased sweets, there's also Honees:

honees-original-bar.jpg

I'm pretty sure you can find places that sell them, it's more a Cicilian recipe than a family one.  There are a few online recipes out there, like this one off the Food Network:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/gale-gand/fig-stuffed-cookies-cuccidati-italian-recipe/index.html

However, the particular set of ingredients we developed at home took my parents something like twenty years to perfect, so I probably shouldn't just be posting it without their permission.  (Plus I can't remember the exact amounts of stuff offhand so... :blush: )

Archived