DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How Did Your Predictions Go? (Full Spoilers)

Luckers

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

Ok...so I've seen this casually thrown out there a bit, but not really gone into in depth. I personally don't think Bashere is a DF...however anything is possible right? I'm never completely closed off to an idea. However, I think if anything at all is going on with Bashere, he has been compelled by Graendal.

I know there isn't a whole lot to back this up, but one thing sticks out at me, more so, it kind of just smacked me full in the face today. I'm constantly rereading the series, and just this morning finished Fires of Heaven again. I think that for a long time everyone was so caught up in who killed Asmodean, that they missed the rather obvious correlation. Asmodean was killed while going to get a jug of wine by G. Bashere had just shown up with a jug of wine and two goblets, ready to introduce himself to Rand and immediately swear allegiance and offer his services.

Now, I said it was thin, but it seems like a very real possibility to me. We all have REAL evidence of G using lots of compulsion on people, and it being compulsion that is meant to be subtle and last for very long periods of time. What better way to get a dagger to Rand's throat than planting a compelled Great Captain right next to him?

Anyways, just my 2 cents. I personally think it's a much greater probability than Bashere actually being a DF.

http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/50915-the-davram-bashere-darkfriend-theory/page-7?hl=%20davram%20%20bashere%20%20darkfriend

It's on page 7, towards the bottom =)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ace Sedai,

Your cynicism is greatly appreciated! I don't have the records to back it up (didn't really post here before last 2 books), but most of my predictions came after consulting the WOTFAQ maybe around CoT or WH. It's hard to remember, but I like to make crazy predictions.

Another one I remember from the Big Unnoticed Thing was a defection of Aiel forces after the onset of the Last Battle. I really thought there were Aiel DFs hiding under Rand's nose, composing a primary force among the headbands. Almost like the Reds as a DF haven in the White Tower.

hey ho

I only got one solid prediction right; Bergitte dies.

There was really no way she could live, hell she wasn't even born!

She had to return to the wheel.

I guessed Bashere and his wife would both die but that was pure guessing and Mat taking on Demendred on the battle field wasn't a stretch.

I predicted that the Dark One was a part of the Pattern, but I thought Padan Fain would be the true adversary; i.e. an evil outside the Pattern. I thought his power would grow so great, it would threaten the Dark One himself, and  Rand & Moridin would before  merge into a single person, like Isam & Luc, and unite the light & dark against Fain. 

Close, but no cigar. 

And, what's more is I really thought I had guessed it right all the way up until the very end, when Mat kills Fain (that was a pretty anticlimactic ending for Fain, by the way. I was expecting some kind of massive show down between the One Power + True Power vs. Mashadar and all I got was a lousy knife in the ribs (of course, I'm just bitter that I came so close. Fain's death was good enough. I liked that he instantly turns into a rotting pile of crap after he's killed, but it definitely fell short of what I predicted). 

One thing I called out that I didn't see anywhere else came out of the ToM Rand/Egwene WT seals debate. Many in the anti-AS camp were claiming Rand needed nothing from the WT and that Mins research would suffice. I argued that Rand would have been better served connecting Min to the greatest repository of knowledge in the world as it probably held crucial info in regards to fixing things and we knew Eggy would need to play a role.. Well as it turns out that's where the key to breaking the seals was(you really should have seen how vehemently against AS playing any role some people where. I mean they would literally scoff that there might be something Jesus Rand didn't know). Without that info and Eggys order things would not have worked out so well.

I thought that the "BUT" was another Nym.

I thought that Fain and Shadar Logoth would be part of the new prison.

I was right that Rand's "blood on the rocks" would be him leaving footprints of blood, although my details in the how were different.

I was right that TAR and the real world would somehow "merge" during the last battle, but I had that tied in with the Ogier and the Book of Translation.

(@Ace Sedai - search for them yourself if you want proof. I can't even remember where I posted them, I often forget which thread I'm in and post spur of the moment ideas in unrelated threads when the action is heavy on the boards. As for others' claims, I've seen most of them mentioned here or elsewhere over the years.)

I got the first 2 paragraphs of that true dream Egwene had from CoT 'In the Night' right when not a single person in the fandom ever saw it nor agreed with me.  1st paragraph was FOM meeting and 2nd paragraph of it was Moiraines arrival.  The third paragraph I thought was Tuon/Egwene which it might have been but I never really felt a 'we can reach the top moment' from Egwene/Tuon or Egwene/Leilwin in the story at all.  So....seems that really fell flat in the even being fulfilled through anyone.  I also have no idea about the Seanchan woman handing Egwene an adam was fulfilled either.

Also the huge red herring with Into the heart he thrust the sword prophecy I was right about.  Was wrong about a lot of others but those two I was sure about and turned out to be so.

The Seanchan woman handing Egwene an a'dam was VERY clear.  It was Leilwin submitting herself to her.  She didn't understand it because she knew it didn't mean a channeler giving her control.  The manifestation of the a'dam for Egwene basically was that after Leilwin swore that oath to serve her, she pried out all that information about the Seanchan (nothing which really came of any use) then bonded her near the end and in that moment of clarity unbonding her and crystalizing the Heights.  

My predictions that came true were 3 becoming one being the 3 powers, Saidar, Saidin and True.  Also i guessed correctly that With Perrin present Wolves in the dream would come with the horn.  Predicted that Olver would blow the Horn.  Predicted that Noal/Jain would come back as a hero of the Horn, predicted the body swap of Moridin and Rand being the answer to "to live you must die" I was however VERY disappointed that even though Loial CLEARLY rediscovered the lost song (which we see from the Rhuidean visions was the song of growing that eh Aiel Ogier and Nyms used to sing to make things grow) but the Tinkers never heard it and thus never discovered it and neither did the Aiel.  Just weird to me that the search for the song was so prevalent throughout the books and though discovered never played a role.  It stands to reason that the New fighting Aiel and the Tinkers who are those who continued the way of the leaf from the OLD Aiel ways didn't get together with the Ogier and sing the song of growing and oh i dunno, maybe Grow a new Nym....a new Green man.  That would have been awesome and i thought i had called that right especially since they could have done so at Rands "funeral" to make Shayol Ghul a place of beauty and maybe even the new Eye of the World.  Really bring things back around to the first book.  Just one man's opinion though.

Archived