DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Snakes.Foxes.Mat.Moiraine.Rand - we SHOULD have *18* pieces of info here...DO WE??

The Fisher King

"It is an angreal", a voice proclaimed. "Strong enough to be nearly sa'angreal. It can be part of her price, should you wish to pay it."

Secondly, she doesn't actually agree that she wished for the angreal. The second quote suggests that it was actually included in the price that Mat paid. She was grappling Lanfear when they went into the ring, maybe she won the struggle, she had the advantage of surprise? Unlikely I know, but still.

I don't understand how you can read this to imply that its in the price Matt paid. They are saying it can be part of her price, i.e. the price of getting her back, not that it can be include with her if he wishes to pay for her freedom. There's also this, straight from Moiraine's mouth:

"They placed it on me to let me draw more of the Power, to make their feeding more succulent. I asked for it, actually, as one of my three demands. I did not realize they would end up using it against me."

There's two ways to interpret this statement. Either she asked for the angreal, period, and they then placed it on her, or she asked specifically that it be placed on her. I'll admit that that's not clear from this statement alone. Either way, though, a level of ownership is implied. Coupled with the "It can be part of her price...", I think its clear that they consider it to be hers, and hence isn't something that Matt needs to pay for.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"It is an angreal", a voice proclaimed. "Strong enough to be nearly sa'angreal. It can be part of her price, should you wish to pay it."

Secondly, she doesn't actually agree that she wished for the angreal. The second quote suggests that it was actually included in the price that Mat paid. She was grappling Lanfear when they went into the ring, maybe she won the struggle, she had the advantage of surprise? Unlikely I know, but still.

I don't understand how you can read this to imply that its in the price Matt paid. They are saying it can be part of her price, i.e. the price of getting her back, not that it can be include with her if he wishes to pay for her freedom. There's also this, straight from Moiraine's mouth:

"They placed it on me to let me draw more of the Power, to make their feeding more succulent. I asked for it, actually, as one of my three demands. I did not realize they would end up using it against me."

There's two ways to interpret this statement. Either she asked for the angreal, period, and they then placed it on her, or she asked specifically that it be placed on her. I'll admit that that's not clear from this statement alone. Either way, though, a level of ownership is implied. Coupled with the "It can be part of her price...", I think its clear that they consider it to be hers, and hence isn't something that Matt needs to pay for.

"I knew from previous events that I would not escape unless you came for me, no matter what my demands were or how carefully I worded them. So I used them for the best"

"What did you ask for?" Mat asked. "Beyond the angreal?"

She smiled. "I shall keep that to myself, for now. You do have my thanks, young Matrim. For my life."

I was actually looking for the quote you provided about the angreal and instead found her apparant evasion about saying if she'd asked for it or not (skim-reading apparantly has its downfalls). That made me reread the initial foxes exchange which then sounded like the angreal was being paid for by Mat - which seemed odd if Moiraine had already paid for it.

I agree the Moiraine quote places the angreal as one of her wishes, but the foxes quote is definately open to interpretation. To me 'should you wish to pay it' implies that it's negotiable - if they considered it to be Moiraines it would already be paid for and thus isn't an option for Mat to buy.

Regarding the original question of the thread, according to BS we'll never find out some of the the questions and answers.

Interview: Apr, 2012

Gold Coast SupaNova - Eleanor Chandler-Temple (Paraphrased)

Eleanor

Will all the questions Rand and Moiraine asked of the Aelfinn be revealed in A Memory of Light?

Brandon Sanderson

No.(Will we know more?) They will be partially revealed.

I'm pretty sure we'll see Rand's third question and answer but we might not see any of Moiraine's.

Archived