DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

SPOILLER: Error reporting

Gabriel Kross

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has been discussed in another thread but I want to repeat it here as I consider it to be a pretty big mistake.

Leilwin/Egeanin seems completely unaware that Elayne is the queen of Andor. She never thinks of Elayne as a queen but just as an Aes Sedai. And she is looking for her in Tar Valon and then in the Aes Sedai camp at FOM. The queen of Andor is not likely to be at any of those places.

This is completely implausible IMO because she spent several days in Caemlyn before leaving for Tar Valon. Moreover, Elayne told her that she was the daughter-heir of Andor when they first met (TSR, CH 46) so Leilwin really ought to have put two and two together even if somehow she didn't hear the new queen's name while in Caemlyn.

Lastly, she traveled from Caemlyn to Tar Valon in the company of 3 Aes Sedai, Vanin and a bunch of Red arms all of whom knew who the queen of Andor was.

Here is another one. When Leilewin arrives at FOM the sky is cloudy

Leilwin surveyed the multitude of camps dotting the place known as the Field of Merrilor. In the night, with those clouds overhead obscuring moon and stars, she could almost imagine that the cook fires were shipborne lanterns in a busy port at night.

Yet, we later learn that Elayne is already there and hence Rand is too as they arrived at FOM more or less at the same time. So there should be no clouds in the sky at the moment.

Here is another one. When Leilewin arrives at FOM the sky is cloudy

Leilwin surveyed the multitude of camps dotting the place known as the Field of Merrilor. In the night, with those clouds overhead obscuring moon and stars, she could almost imagine that the cook fires were shipborne lanterns in a busy port at night.

Yet, we later learn that Elayne is already there and hence Rand is too as they arrived at FOM more or less at the same time. So there should be no clouds in the sky at the moment.

Ahh herid, that's a nice catch.

Only thing I can come up with off the bat, is that this effect of the unblinded Dragon only works when Rand 'walks in the Light'. He is Light given flesh afterall. It makes sense that the sun shines on him, but why would that effect be there during the hours when the the real world lies in the shadow. Might be that the Sheperd of the Night is stronger then...? Has there been a scene when this effect was seen during dusk or night? I would't be surprised if we haven't, but I''m not sure.

Has there been a scene when this effect was seen during dusk or night? I would't be surprised if we haven't, but I''m not sure.

Yes. Elayne herself banished the clouds around Caemlyn even during the night, so she surly should've done the same for the FoM, even if Rand hadn't been there.

With the last light of dusk fading, the stars shone like hesitant children, peeking out now that the uproar of day had died down. It felt so good to finally see them again. Gawyn breathed in deeply.

• 2 weeks later...

One more mistake, I think. Avi and the other Wise Ones don't know what Rand will demand of the others the next day. But it should be crystal clear from Avi's visions (which she just related to them) that he will demand peace. The subject was discussed at length in several visions. She at the very least ought to realize that, yet she acts as if she has no clue.

One more mistake, I think. Avi and the other Wise Ones don't know what Rand will demand of the others the next day. But it should be crystal clear from Avi's visions (which she just related to them) that he will demand peace. The subject was discussed at length in several visions. She at the very least ought to realize that, yet she acts as if she has no clue.

They're pretty sure that the Dragon's Peace is part of it, but I doubt that will be all. Also, I'm not sure they know (because I'm not sure we know) exactly what the terms of that Peace will be.

Hi Peter..

I loved the 'Kindle' ter'angreal (which we previously saw in TPoD2 and KoD15, of course!)..

Not a mistake, but I'm just wondering if this was Brandon having a little gentle fun with the fandom.......

“We have unfortunately found nothing pertinent in your library ter’angreal.” The statue of the smiling bearded man had nearly caused a riot in the Tower; every sister had wanted to read the thousands of books that it held.

They're pretty sure that the Dragon's Peace is part of it,

How do you figure that? Dragon's Peace is not mentioned once in all that scene. And they specifically says that they don't know what Rand will demand.

but I doubt that will be all. Also, I'm not sure they know (because I'm not sure we know) exactly what the terms of that Peace will be.

it doesn't have to be all, nor do we need to know full details. But it's perfectly clear from Avi's visions that it will be a large part of Rand's demands.

She at the very least ought to realize that, yet she acts as if she has no clue.

Well, she does act dumb, but it's not like she hasn't a clue. She said she suspects some of what he intends to do, or at least that she saw hints of it.

ok, yes, you are right, there is one line where she thinks

What was he planning? She saw hints of it in the visions.

Still, she acts way too dumb IMO given what those visions were. She is a Wise One after all. Perhaps this is not a mistake in a strict sense but I find that this strains credulity way too far.

Aviendha had been surprised to discover the gathering at Merrilor; she had found it only by using her bond to Rand al’Thor to determine where he was. Arriving here to find so many together, the wetlander forces collected, she wondered if this was part of what she’d seen. Was this gathering the start of what would become her vision?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading Chapter 1 and and perhaps the clouds thing is not a mistake. They are mentioned twice again in Chapter 1.

First describing the people gathered at Merrilor.

The people here didn’t display the same sense of hopelessness as the refugees, but there was a dread to them. They could see the sickened land. They could feel the clouds above.

and later

“My Lord Dragon,” Kert said. “Are we . . . I mean . . .” He gulped and looked at the sky, and the clouds that seemed to be—despite Rand’s presence—creeping in on them.

this might be a retcon which are plentiful in Chapter 1 but it does provide an explanation. Still strange given that the sky over Merillor was definitely clear after Rand arrived just a few hours earlier.

Well, belief and order give strength. Is it a coincidence that Min didn't keep the spoilage away from Tear (Cadsuane's tea was only perfect when Rand arrived) but Elayne did in Caemlyn? Caemlyn's destruction could have repercussions we didn't foresee.

hmm, it's an interesting point. I'm not sure what to make of that one. I always assumed that the effects in question were tied to Rand's Fisher King nature and their weakening would be related to Rand's psychological state rather than to external events such as the attack on Caemlyn.

I did, too, but then there was that mean that Egwene had, that was fresh because the ingredients were brought in from Caemlyn. There might've been other indications as well, but for whatever reason, food didn't spoil quite as much in Caemlyn as elsewhere. I might've thought Rand was doing that as well, through Elayne, but why then didn't Min perform a similar function in Tear?

I don't know. It could be just a mistake. Or it might be that the food did get better in Tear, just not all the food. I doubt all the food in Caemlyn became good. And we know at least the clouds did break over Min in Tear. Or maybe it has something to do with the bond differences because Min can't channel and Elayne can. Would be nice if someone could ask BS about it. This is the kind of thing that he might actually answer instead of giving a RAFO.

Not that I've seen, and that's interesting. Yes, could be. And FSM, Elayne is still there, pending the conflict between her desires and Rand's intentions.

Still, the fact remains we see the spoilage affect some places more than others (for example, when everything in Bendar Eban went bad all at once, the same didn't occur elsewhere), and when I look for possible causes, that line about order keeps coming up.

I'd had the impression that the suddenness of the spoilage at Bandar Eban was down to Rand abandoning the place:

Arad Doman, as a kingdom, was finished. Like a table laden with too much weight, it would soon collapse. It is not my problem, Rand thought, not looking at the people. I did everything I could.

Then the news reaches him of the spoilage:

"My lord Dragon," the {dockmaster} said in a hushed voice, standing beside Rand's horse, "The food! It has spoiled!"

"What food?" Rand sked.

""All of it," the man said, voice taut.

Rand opened his eyes and kicked Tai'daishar into motion. He left the dockmaster behind, mouth open, and passed through the gateway. There was nothing more Rand could do. Nothing more he would do.

The main difference between Min and Elayne are the babies. They seem to have some part of his fisher king nature, being of his blood and all.

good idea. that might be it.

Thanks!

At first I thought there was an inconsistancy with Perrin's camp having 'good' food so it seemed that Mat may have been the reason for Camalyn's sound food stores(a purely Ta'veren thing) but looking at the prologue and first chapter, perhaps Perrin simply creates order which apears to fight the effects of the DO too.

Archived