DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

One Word for Being a Mentor

Kepen heal

Well i was wondering if i can be a Mentor for a girl who will, hopfully be coming soon to DM!!!

She is one of my bestest friends and i was wondering if i can be her Mentor when she does get her. She gave me the name she was going to use!

Safireskygrl

Is the name she gave me so if...Mother..or MoN could tell me yes or no i would be most gratful. I wish to be her mentor i do and i swear to help her to the best of my abilities!!!

You are welcome to help your friend in any way you can, but there are two reasons we will not allow you to officially mentor your friend.

1. You are an Accepted. We only allow Aes Sedai and der'Manshima to be mentors to novices and algai. Its a priviledge and a responsibility we reserve for those who have shown us they understand how this community works by earning a significant rank in it. Not that Accepted or Manshima isn't an important accomplishment, but our Aes Sedai and der' Manshima have proven that they are active enough and committed enough to handle the responsibility of mentoring.

2. We generally discourage people from mentor friends and family. Part of having a mentor is building a relationship with a new person and making another connection in the community. We've discovered over the years that encouraging people to make as many connections as possible early on, really helps cement them to the community. Its fantastic that your friend already knows someone here. It'll be even better when she gets to know more of us and realizes why you love this community so much.

Yes, hunny. What Mother says is so true. I could drag Cairos in here and he could tell you that it was much better for me NOT to be his Mentor even tho we're RL friends b/c he got to know Mendorah (his assigned Mentor) and the Grays, and has made his own friends in his own way.

So, Kepen - as your Mentor, :P I would advise you to just stick close to your friend while she's adjusting here, but let her have her own room and time to make friends. :wink:

Archived