DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Let's Go for a Walk (Attn: Leala)

Kathleen

Kathleen held in her excitement until the whole heart wrenching ordeal was over with. It was hard to watch the young Aes Sedai be turned away, after pouring her heart out. It was hard to watch her Sisters rip this bright young spirit down. It was hard, but it was necessary, and not too long before she had been the bright young spirit that had so harshly been broken. Here she stood with the shawl she had so longed for wrapped proudly on her shoulders. She hoped that vision would be of some inspiration for the broken girl who walked so strongly out of the room that had broken her.

Ay'Lira made eye contact with Kathleen as she entered the hall, and Kathleen was ready to swoop the girl away from it all. She wasn't sure how the new Initiate would react, and she tried to prepair herself to handle any reaction from the girl. Would she break down in tears as they turned the first corner? Would she shut down and close off and walk unattentive behind Kathleen as she tried to lead the girl? Would she reach out for the sweet caress of the One Power to comfort her? Would she rage and try to fight the Green? Kathleen could not know.

"Come Ay'Lira. Say your goodbyes for now, and I will show you around our halls." Kathleen gave the girl time to politely depart from the others and waited for her sisters to file out, back to their own rooms. Kathleen lead the Initiate along the familiar tiled floor. White tiles with green borders and green handled swords inlaid on them. Along the white and green walls were tapestries and paintings of famous battles and Sisters of the Ajah. She stopped in front of a door and opened it, inside were several recruits who were bringing Ay'Lira's things in from her Accepted room.

"This will be your room while you are an Initiate. How long that will be is up to you. I will see that you learn the Battle Weaves and all that is required of you. When we feel you are ready, you will have the chance to choose a Sister to do your Midnight Vigil. That night you will spend in contemplation of what it means to be Green. You will form your answers for the next day. At dawn you will go before the assembled Ajah members and they will either accept you or deny you entrance based on your answers. If you are denied you will continue training and then will go again before the Ajah. Until your answers satisfy, this room will be yours."

Kathleen moved out of the door way to let a mover enter the room. "Perhaps we should begin the rest of our tour while they finish moving your things. Don't worry, they will take care of things. Haven't lost anything yet." Kathleen smiled, hoping that seeing the Initiate room would help the girl see that she was on her way to joining the ajah, even though they hadn't given her a shawl. There was to being a Green than the fabric on her back. Hopefully the girl would see that with the training.

The initiate room was smaller than the Aes Sedai quarters were, but they were a step up from Accepted quarters. The walls were white and bare, but she would have a fireplace with a screen and a supply of wood which would be replaced by the servants each day. A wardrobe for her clothes as well as a clothes rack were against one wall. A thick rug was laid on the floor to keep her feet warm, and a washstand with pitcher and bowl was on a small table nearby. Her Aes Sedai rooms would have a Master bedroom with it's own bath, enough rooms for several warders and a community bathroom, a dining room, kitchen, office, and living room that were all combined. It would be like having her own house within the ajah quarters. Many Warders actually lived within the quarters to protect their Aes Sedai, though there were some that didn't. That would be a decision she would make on her own someday, but the rooms would be hers if she earned them.

Kathleen let Ay'Lira take in the new room for a quick minute, but with the movers coming in and out they didn't stay long. As they began the walk through the halls Kathleen smiled at the new Initiate. "I know this is not what you expected when you woke up this morning, but it is what is. Do you have any questions? I will do my best to answer as best I can."

Kathleen Vandiar

Aes Sedai of the Green Ajah

Ay'Lira curtsied to the sisters of the Green Ajah, trying to come to peace with her situation. It was frustrating. But Ange kept saying that if she took things one day at a time, it would be much easier to deal with a seemingly overwhelming situation. So, she would be taught. And until she found a suitable answer for these women, she would be taught more. Just because something seemed overwhelming didn't mean it was impossible. So, she would be the courteous initiate. She followed Kathleen down the halls of the Green Ajah quarters. They were beautiful. Novices and Accepted were expected to know how to reach Aes Sedai for messages or deliveries, so she knew what they would look like. She had walked these halls before. But they were made more beautiful for the fact that she had a room here.

Kathleen stopped by her room to let her see inside as servants brought in her things. Compared to Ay'Lira's quarters as a novice and Accepted, they were like having a whole house to herself already. It would be nice to get used to the extra space before she stepped up to the grandiosity of the Aes Sedai. It would be nice to have her own fireplace for the colder weather. She had a bit more space for her clothes, too. But the fireplace was the most distinct change. She nodded to herself as she ducked back out of the room to stand with her mentor. A different kind of mentor than she had ever had.

"I know this is not what you expected when you woke up this morning, but it is what is. Do you have any questions? I will do my best to answer as best I can."

Ay'Lira returned Kathleen's smile. She seemed patient, and less abrupt then Amena. She felt she could get along with her. "The Tower teaches everyone to bend and adapt to change and the unexpected. It was a surprise, I'll admit, but I've come to terms with it, I think." She paused, thinking of any questions that came to mind. "I have only one out of curiosity. What would happen if there were two Initiates at the same time? Would they share this room?"

Kathleen smiled as the young woman spoke. It was like listening to herself years before. She had heard that some don't take it so well, some going so far as throwing furniture around the head's office! She had yet to see one react in such a way. It wasn't something she hoped to see. Kathleen had spent the first night crying into the pillows of the Initate room, and she was sure she was not the first, nor would she be the last to do so. Like this girl, she had kept a strong front until she was on her own. Save for the tears in the Vault, but that was to be expected. Kathleen hoped the girl would last until night fall to fall apart, but she would be ready to comfort her if it was needed.

When the girl looked up from thought and asked her question Kathleen was quick to answer, "There would be other Initiate rooms prepared. We don't see many raised together these days, but there was a time when our halls were much more full. Don't worry, we won't be moving anyone else in with you. Make the room yours as much as you would like." Kathleen shot the girl a smile.

"Come now, there are a few more places you should know." Kathleen led the girl further in to the Green Halls until she stood before the Vault. Kathleen turned to Ay'Lira and pulled the smile from her face. This room was one Kathleen spent much time in. It was well respected, and she would not let that slip by on this girl. "This is the Green Ajah Vault, probably one of the most sacred areas of our Ajah." Kathleen's body language completely changed as she led the girl through the doors and into the main sunken seating area.

Around the deep seated couches were glass walls. Inside the walls were cubbys, inside each cubby was a portrait of the deceased or missing battle sister and a few of her prized possessions, including pictures of her gaidin. Leading back into the hallways were large portraits of Sisters. The room had the silence of a graveyard, it was in a sense. The room rarely saw laughter or jokes, but everyone was free to grieve as they preferred.

Keeping her tone calm and quiet Kathleen addressed the Initiate, "The Vault is a place were we come in contemplation of those we have lost in this battle against the Shadow. Sisters of the Battle Ajah rarely die in their sleep. We will all die and if we are lucky we will do so fighting for the greater good such as these women did. When we die we earn a place within the Vault."

Kathleen showed her the cubbies and let her take a closer look at some of them to get a better feel for what is there, being sure the girl did not try to disturb anything. "You are free to come and go from this place as you wish, but be careful not to disrupt anything here. Do you have any questions about this place before we move on?"

• 3 weeks later...

Ay'Lira took in the room that Kathleen led her to, looking at the the glass walls, the cubbies with all the portraits of sisters and their Gaidin. All these women had fought for and won the shawl that she now sought. But more importantly, they fought and died for the right against the Shadow. That fight that she would one day fight and die for as well. She saw strength and fire in the eyes of all these women and the men who fought alongside them. She could see herself coming her a lot to seek parts of herself that she'd rather keep hidden, or answers from these ever-staring, piercing eyes.

In the reflections of the glass walls, Ay'Lira could see herself, still in her Accepted's dress next to Kathleen in her green shawl. And then it suddenly hit her. This training wasn't just for fighting skills. She had to represent these women to the best of her abilities as one of them. As she was now, even after all she had grown, that wasn't possible. This room held a certain gravity to it. The gravity of the green shawl. Shaking her head, she turned back to Kathleen. "No questions, I am ready, Kathleen Sedai."

Kathleen watched in silence as the woman before her took in the Vault. She hoped that this room would settle things a little bit for this woman as it always did for her. By the time Ay'Lira pulled herself out of her thoughts Kathleen thought the Vault had done just that.

"Come now, we'll leave the heaviness of this place behind us for now. There are a few more things for you to see." Kathleen lead the initiate to the hall and toward to the living quarters of the Green sisters.

They walked past the office the Head had taken Ay'lira to after the ceremonies and didn't stop until they reached the door to Taia's room. Coming to a full stop just outside the door Kathleen waited the second it took for the other woman to come to a stop beside her. She then knocked on the door and waited for Taia to answer. Her sister came quickly, surely having been expecting the knock for some time. When she appeared Kathleen smiled warmly and said, "This is Ay'Lira, she is not yet one of us but she is sealed to us." With a nod of her head she took a step to the side to give the two a chance to speak more comfortably.

Kathleen Vandiar

Green Sister

Taia was sitting in her room reading, a pastime she had recently decided was worth her extra time. She knew at some point today she would be getting a visit from one of the sisters and whoever the newest Accepted was. Till then she had research to do, Mia needed some information for her next trip. There next trip, Taia mentally corrected herself she wasn't going to allow Mia to leave without her. She flipped through another page on Arad Doman, and then realized if she and Rasheta had any respect for each other Taia could just ask Rasheta as she was from that country. Taia sighed and put that thought aside and kept reading. After awhile there was a knock at the door.

Taia got up knowing that this would be the other sister and the newest Accepted. When she opened the door she saw it was Kathleen and Ay'Lira, Taia remembered there weave class it had been disaster. She didn't show any emotion though when Kathleen gestured at Ay'Lira. "This is Ay'Lira, she is not yet one of us but she is sealed to us." Taia flicked her eyes over Ay'Lira again and then smiled brightly, Taia always was smiling if she could help it. "Welcome to the Green Ajah. Your life will be hard for the foreseeable future, I hope you are ready for it." She was still smiling but her eyes were calculating. She leaned against her doorjamb. "I am to ask if you have any questions Accepted so do you?"

Taia Misna

Green Sister

Edited by Rasheta Ardashir

• 2 weeks later...

Ay’Lira knew the door as they approached it. They were at Taia’s room. She would eventually be an Ajah sister to Taia. Well, if that wasn’t interesting… She and the Green had had a class about weaves. Most of the class was tense between the two of them, but Ay’Lira took more from it than she thought she would. She had learned something about herself and the Aes Sedai. She and Taia weren’t that different, she had found out. But that had mostly been the main contributing factor to the density in the air as their went along with their class. She had a feeling Taia would be even harder to contend with now that she was the new Initiate. Light, this is going to be fun, she thought sarcastically.

Taia came to the door and showed no emotion has Kathleen introduced her as one sealed to the Greens, but not yet one of them. She liked the use of the word “yet.” She’d get there if it killed her. Taia turned on a bright, glistening smile. She probably thought it looked friendly. It just looked smug to Ay’Lira. She then informed her that her life would be harder in the future and her wishes for readiness from her. Oh, yes. That smile was very smug. Ay’Lira kept a polite smile herself. One that an Accepted might use for a mentor. She curtsied, addressing her as Aes Sedai. That sting that had burned dimly in the Vault had shot back up again. She’d have to move a little politically around this one. Now she wanted to know if she wanted questions. Questions for Taia. Looking around, Ay’Lira couldn’t think of anything off the top of her head, but then she spotted a book on Taia’s desk. With nothing else to go on, Ay’Lira said, “If I may, what are you reading, Aes Sedai?”

“If I may, what are you reading, Aes Sedai?”

Taia paused for a moment and just stared at Ay'Lira and then she burst out laughing. "You are allowed to ask me anything and you want to know what I'm reading." She paused to chuckle again. "I am reading about the country of Arad Doman Accepted. I am going to travel there in the near future with a friend of mine and we need to know a few things about the country's history and customs." She shrugged "I know enough to get by in most countries especially the borderlands, but Arad Doman is differnent. So I am learning. If you are interested in learning some battle tactics I would suggest reading up on the Trolloc Wars, and the Aiel War, it can be most interesting. Now you must run along Accepted and meet your next sister. It would not do to keep you here too long." Taia nodded to Kathleen and then shut her door and returned to her reading.

Taia Misna

Green Sister

Kathleen tried not to listen into the conversation the two had the door, but she hasn't moved all that far from them to wait on the Initiate. She had turned her attention to a portrait on the wall near Taia's room, but she quickly turned back toward the pair when Taia burst out laughing. She took the moment to step closer them, not to rush them along, but just to be certain to be there when it was time to carry on.

Kathleen returned her Sister's nod as she retreated to her rooms and then lead the Initiate toward the next room. "You may want to pick those books on battle strategy up sooner than later," Kathleen just straved off using the term child but she recovered quickly enough that she hoped the pause would go unnoticed, "we will be beginning your practical lessons as soon as you are settled." She hoped the prospects of learning new things, things she would one day use as a Green, would be a pleasing thought, but she knew when she was in this girls shoes she could only see any talk of lessons as another way to remind the her that she was not one of the Green's yet. She smiled over to Ay'Lira as she stopped at the next Sister's door and knocked.

When the door opened, not long after, Kathleen introduced the girl, "This is Ay'Lira, she is not yet one of us but she is sealed to us." and once again she took a step back to give the two their privacy.

Kathleen Vandiar

Loraine entered her rooms and hung her shawl on the hook by the door. She knew it would be a few moments before Ay'Lira made it to her door, so she settled in to read through some letters she'd received over the last week. She settled into her desk and arranged the letters on the surface of the desktop. She quickly got lost in the piles of information, sorting them into things she'd share and things she'd hide or burn. The knock on the door startled her and she dropped the letter she was skimming with a gasp. She laughed a bit at herself and rose, pushing her chair under and closing the door to the bedroom where she'd hidden her desk.

She was still smiling when she pulled the door open. Kathleen made the traditional introduction and Loraine's smile widened a bit more. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Ay'Lira," she said, not changing her expression. Someone needed to show this girl something other than the scary image of an Aes Sedai. Maybe it was her motherly instincts kicking in, but someone should smile every now and then. Right? It didn't stop her from looking for the little pieces of the girl's demeanor and storing information away for later. Her eyes were tightening around the edges, her chin was set and the corners of her lips were tight, too. Loraine was glad she'd answered the door with a smile. "I know it's been a difficult day for you. Just know that it gets better."

She leaned on her door frame and crossed her arms. "Do you drink tea?"

~Loraine

the old granny lady with blonde hair and a wrinkle or two...

Nodding to Kathleen's suggestion, Ay'Lira thought of reading the same history books that the Greens read. She studied history and battle strategies in her studies as an Accepted. Even though she didn't have her shawl quite yet, the thought of it now made it seem more real, more meaningful.

Ay'Lira didn't feel so awkward curtsying to Loraine Sedai after she gave her a smile, and especially after she had somehow made Taia Sedai laugh. She knew it wouldn't always be this congenial around the Greens as she was going through their training, but she would go through the training and earn her shawl. For the time being, she had today to fully come to grips with this situation. And it was nice to see a smile after all the grim faces of obligation and stern authority. She told the gold-haired sister that it was a pleasure to meet her too, and she paused for a moment when she did not ask for questions. She asked if Ay'Lira drank tea. For a moment, she considered the question. Was she testing her somehow? Was this an invitation or some way to see if she would last in the true test for her shawl? Something about her smile, though, made her think she was being sincere.

Smiling back, Ay'Lira nodded. "I love tea, Aes Sedai," she said.

Loraine felt her smile deepen as the girl worked through her question as if hunting for something. She'd make a great Aes Sedai someday, with her knack for thinking before answering. "Good! I've heard more than one Yellow claim it's the healthiest thing in the Tower for you, though I'd put up an argument for a good defensive weave, personally." She laughed and shook her head, her knot bobbing on the back of her head. "Stop by whenever you like. I know you'll be busy for a while, yet, but you might find a cup of tea goes a long way in easing the tension of new weaves and sword waving."

She paused a moment, then shot a smile at Kathleen again. "I say this all the time, but I want you to remember one thing as you look at these old ladies gracing these halls. Every single one of us has been where you are right now. We've all been turned down, though not everyone handled it as well as you have today. The fact that we're here should provide all of the confidence you need to grapple your way through what's coming at you. No matter where we're from or how we ended up inside these walls, we've all fought to get where we are. You will be no different. Our shawl means more than just being accepted by the Tower, Ay'Lira, and it stands for more than a color in a stole, too. We're here to fight and we start doing that from the first day the shawl is laid on our shoulders. Everyone else sees you as Aes Sedai and you must conduct yourself as such. But here, you are a soldier, your steps mean death to darkfriends and shadowspawn, your sword stands to protect and defend those who would fall from the weight of the Dark One. The Blues have their causes, the Yellows have their patients, the Browns have their books. But we, we have our swords and each other. We walk to the Last Battle ready to fight it. Let that be the light that keeps you moving, not revenge or salvaging your pride."

She shook her head and laughed softly. "And now that my sermon is over, I meant what I said about the tea. Tell me what you like and I'll send to make sure it's on hand in my caddy, should you need to stop by for a vent."

~Loraine

Well, it seemed the question wasn't an invitation, but it wasn't a test, either. It was a promise of somewhere to go when she needed to tell someone about her problems. That made her feel better. Ange had been her go-to person when she had a problem that just seemed to build and keep building. Ay'Lira had given her tools to see those problems as something she could handle. And here was another person offering the same help. She had a feeling she'd be coming to Loraine's quarters for tea for quite a lot. Or Kathleen, since she was to be her mentor.

Loraine then gave her a speech, saying that every woman in the Green Ajah had been where she was now. She explained about their fighting spirit and what the green shawl would mean when she had it. She told her about how her fight would be not for revenge or any selfish reasons, but about fighting for the Light and against the Shadow. The speech made her fill with pride, even though she hadn't gained the shawl, it felt an honor to even learn how to fight alongside these women. It was similar to the feeling she had when Kathleen showed her the Vault, to see all those women and men who had died for this same cause. Even though she wasn't where everyone else was, she would be some day. And it felt an honor to be a part of them.

"Thank you, Aes Sedai, that makes me feel much better," she said to Loraine, giving her a bright smile. "And I will surely come for tea. Thank you for that, too."

Loraine nodded and stepped back, accepting that the girl would come by when she was comfortable and not so intimidated. It made her think of her sons and she sighed heavily. "I won't keep you, then, you've a lot more faces to try to memorize ahead of you. Try not to exhaust yourself with your walk. These halls seem to grow longer every year..."

She smiled and turned back to Kathleen. "I trust you'll stop by for some tea soon, too. It's been a while since we've had a moment to chat about something other than fighting."

~Loraine

(sorry it's short. The migraine is killing me! I just didn't want to hold you up!)

Kathleen gave Loraine a friendly smile, "yes, it has been too long since we've had a chance to catch up. When you have a nice flavourful blend in, let me know and I'll be sure to pour my heart out over a few cups." She let a hint of a laugh out as she turned to Ay'Lira.

"My sister is right, there are more faces to learn." She started further down the hall, "And you'll have more than enough nights in that room I'm sure, enjoy this walk. Its not as long as it could be, and it will be longer for the next to come to our halls. If ever you want out of that room, mine is open for company at any hour, and I do enjoy outings if you're looking for company."

They walked on a short distance, past a few empty rooms. It seemed the halls really weren't as full as they could be, dispite Loraine's comment of more each year. She stopped outside a door she knew would have a face behind it. A room she had been to a number of times, and a face she had quite an emotional history with. She kept all this hidden as she stepped up to Rasheta's door and let the knock come.

~ Kathleen Vandiar

Green Sister

Rasheta was staring out her window trying to decide what she wanted to do today. Her warder was currently, away she knew he was okay if he had died she'd have known. As it was she missed him and wished she knew where he was. She sighed this was not helping her plan her day. She turned away and picked up a shawl to leave to walk in the gardens, when a knock sounded at her door. She had forgotten that Ay'Lira was due to be shown around the halls. She shouldn't have she had been present at Ay'Lira's oaths. She really needed to focus. She walked toward the door and opened it. Kathleen nodded at her and then said, "This is Ay'Lira, she is not yet one of us but she is sealed to us."

Rasheta switched her attention to Ay'Lira, she looked the girl over from head to foot, and then smiled at her, "welcome to the Green Ajah Accepted. I hope you are ready for all the hard work you are going to be put through. It may seem cruel but believe me it is all needed for when you are sent outside the tower." She paused and added "if you have trouble you can always come and share a drink with me. You are welcome to ask questions of me now though. So ask anything you like."

Rasheta Ardashir

Green Sitter

Ay'Lira followed Kathleen to the next room where Rasheta resided. She seemed calm and well put-together like Loraine. She warned her about how difficult her life would get. Ay'Lira hated to think it about her own future sister, but if Taia could go through all this and come out with the shawl, so could she. There was another offer for advice when things got rough. She had been expecting all these sisters to be rough and cold like Taia, but a lot of them seemed open and understanding. They had all gone through this gauntlet, after all. It made sense. And possibly Taia was being understanding in her own way. She had offered advice about research.

Rasheta then offered herself for questions. Ay'Lira had been admittedly nervous around Taia, having been under her tutelage a few years before. But Rasheta offered a new face, a new chance to acquaint herself with someone. What could she ask? She thought about it for a while before landing on one. "Aes Sedai, when you travel, what is the most essential thing you carry?" She had a lot of questions on her mind, but she didn't want to give the Green the wrong impression about her, either. But she had worded that specifically to get a satisfactory answer. If she had said "take" instead of "carry", she probably would have said her Warder.

• 3 weeks later...

"Aes Sedai, when you travel, what is the most essential thing you carry?"

Rasheta raised her eyebrows is surprise, not the question she would have expected from one of the Accepted. She thought for a moment and then replied, "You'd think it would be something like food, water, or my horse but in my case it would be trust with whoever I travel with." She paused and thought again, "And my wits. If you don't have your wits about you at all times you can miss something essential that could help you keep people alive." She smiled at Kathleen. "Kat could explain that as an Accepted my warder and I saved her life."

She switched her attention back to the Accepted. "However, trust and your wits will serve you the best. You must trust your warder as well. Greens are the only Ajah known to marry there warders, but that doesn't mean you must, or even take them to bed with you. However, you must trust that they are not darkfriends and are out to save your life even at the cost of there own. Its all very in depth, once you have a warder you will see more of what I mean." She nodded to Kathleen and added, "I think I have taken up more of her time then I should and possibly filled her head with more then she needs to know now. Carry on Kathleen and I will see you and your charge later."

Rasheta Sedai

Aes Sedai and Sitter of the Green Ajah

Ay'Lira nodded along as Rasheta explained how your wits and trust were crucial when out in the world. She wondered what it would be like to have a Warder. It seemed very much like having someone else in your head with you. She intended to take every mission given to her, and for that, she'd definitely need a Warder. But, first she'd have to use her wits to gain the Greens' trust. She curtsied to the Aes Sedai. "Thank you, Rasheta Sedai, that was very helpful."

She wondered where Kathleen would take her next, or if this was the last stop.

((OOC: Sorry for the shortness! D: ))

• 3 weeks later...

Kathleen only smiled at Rasheta when she spoke of the day of her rescue so long before. Had it not been Ay'Lira's first introductions she may have gone into more of that, but for now a smile was all that could be shared. She could agrue both for and against having kept her wits, but everyone came out of it alive and surely it was due to Rasheta's warder having kept his wits while Kathleen her self had mearly had a few well timed bouts of luck. 

She wasn't surprised at Rasheta's reply to the Initate's question, it was most likely not what the girl had been looking for, but it was a better answer than most would give. She hoped Ay'Lira would hear it and appreciate it as she did. When the conversation ended Kathleen nodded goodbye to the woman had walked her through the halls on her first pass. 

When Rasheta had returned to her rooms Kathleen addressed the Initiate, "The next room I will bring you to, is probably the last one you wish to go to, but it is one you should learn well." Kathleen did not remind the woman to keep her head or remember her station, directly, but she hoped the new Aes Sedai had enough sense to act like one even when she faced the woman who had stolen her joy only short moments before.

Approaching the door to the Captain General's rooms Kathleen involuntarily smoothed out her skirts, and knocked on the door. 

~ Kathleen Vandiar

• 3 weeks later...

Amena hadn't forgotten about the visit that was sure to be coming. It snuck up on her, anyway, however, so when the knock came on the door she dropped the letter she'd been engrossed in reading and sighed at herself for being so jumpy. She straightened the letters again and covered them with the top of her locking desk. It was probably the only piece of furniture that had been with her everywhere she'd gone since leaving home. Bah, as if she had time to think about THAT, of all things.

She dusted her hands off, ignoring an ink blot that smudged her left thumb and approached the door without pausing to check her reflection. She'd never cared about her appearance and, frankly, refused to start now. Her hair was kept short for that purpose: less to mess with, less to take care of, less to turn into a weapon to be used against you later. Besides, who was going to tell the Captain General she was unkempt? She made sure, when business took her away from the Green Halls, to be presentable, even if she did nothing to stand out from the others. Her sword and her weaves did her talking and it wasn't a conversation she'd ever needed in the Hall, anyway. 

She pulled the door open and stepped back, a long habit that she couldn't seem to shake no matter how old she grew. 

"Good day, Sister," she said softly to Kathleen. "I trust your charge understands her place in the Green Halls?" She barely waited for acknowledgement before turning her piercing gaze on Ay'Lira. "I know you believe you understand, but rest assured that someday you will truly understand. It is only through hardship and sacrifice that you truly acknowledge the decision that you have made today. I pray it's a decision you can live with, for there is no going back, now." 

She tilted her head to the side, trying to decipher Ay'Lira's body language. There were others far better at that than she, however, so she gave it up. This woman wasn't going to attack her any time soon, so what did it matter? She wasn't dangerous... yet. "Have you questions, child?"

~Amena

short and to the point, I'm surprised no one wants to kill her in her sleep, yet... lol