DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How could that other Power source be felt all of a sudden..?

Mik

I'm not sure why there is a big fuss about this, it is pretty simple.

Finite amount of OP available, lets say 5million litres for the sake of a measurement.

When a person embraces the OP, they draw on the pool, lets say 1L for Rand at full strength.

After he has woven whatever it is he has done, the 1L goes back into the pool.

Finite but infinitely reusable. Simple.

That implies that with enough people chanelling, it can be used all up. He says it can't. Hence the issue.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finite amount of OP available, lets say 5million litres for the sake of a measurement.

When a person embraces the OP, they draw on the pool, lets say 1L for Rand at full strength.

That implies that with enough people chanelling, it can be used all up. He says it can't. Hence the issue.

There's a million ways something can be finite but refillable. You have a finite amount of blood in your body but if you cut yourself and lose some it is refilled.

Theoretically it is possible, but practically it is not.

Simply, it is impossible for humans to acquire the necessary resources to do so.

Back to the water example, lets estimate the power in the "pool" as 100 billion L.

The strongest possible channeler could only hold 1mL. Something like the Chodean Kal, the most powerful sa'angreal we know of (which needs an access key to even channel through) would perhaps allow these people to draw 1 L, so 1000x the strongest ever. (I know that isn't mathematically correct correlation between power/Chodean Kal, but run with it :tongue:)

To use up the OP, 100 billion Chodean Kals have to be used at the same time.

Theoretically possible, but it is simply impossible to create that many, or to use them all at the same time.

Thus, it can be used up, theoretically, but practically it is impossible.

There's a million ways something can be finite but refillable. You have a finite amount of blood in your body but if you cut yourself and lose some it is refilled.

Yes, but at the same time it's possible for me to lose all my blood.

Theoretically it is possible, but practically it is not.

Simply, it is impossible for humans to acquire the necessary resources to do so.

Back to the water example, lets estimate the power in the "pool" as 100 billion L.

The strongest possible channeler could only hold 1mL. Something like the Chodean Kal, the most powerful sa'angreal we know of (which needs an access key to even channel through) would perhaps allow these people to draw 1 L, so 1000x the strongest ever. (I know that isn't mathematically correct correlation between power/Chodean Kal, but run with it :tongue:)

To use up the OP, 100 billion Chodean Kals have to be used at the same time.

Theoretically possible, but it is simply impossible to create that many, or to use them all at the same time.

Thus, it can be used up, theoretically, but practically it is impossible.

Well that was my point, it theory it should always be possible if something is finite, to say it isn't possible implies it cannot be done, thus how can it be finite. (my confusion)

Well that was my point, it theory it should always be possible if something is finite, to say it isn't possible implies it cannot be done, thus how can it be finite. (my confusion)

Ahh, I see. Not sure if you are still confused, so I will use another example.

Think of 1L of water as the OP. You know you have one litre, because it is in a jug next to you (wherever the OP floats around when it's not doing anything).

You only have a 250mL cup on you (channelers/Chodean Kal) (and you can't go to the shop to get more, there is only this one cup in the entire world :tongue:)

You know that if you had a 1L cup, you could hold all of the water (OP) in it, but you don't have the capacity to do it because of a worldwide cup genocide.

It could be that the Creator has the capacity to hold it all, but nothing humans can possibly do.

Ahh, I see. Not sure if you are still confused, so I will use another example.

Think of 1L of water as the OP. You know you have one litre, because it is in a jug next to you (wherever the OP floats around when it's not doing anything).

You only have a 250mL cup on you (channelers/Chodean Kal) (and you can't go to the shop to get more, there is only this one cup in the entire world :tongue:)

You know that if you had a 1L cup, you could hold all of the water (OP) in it, but you don't have the capacity to do it because of a worldwide cup genocide.

It could be that the Creator has the capacity to hold it all, but nothing humans can possibly do.

LOL @ Cup genocide. Poor cups.

In that situation, I personally would say, it's finite, but at this time it's not possible to use it all. Maybe it's me being too literal, that's probably the real issue.

I'm not confused any longer, it just doesn't make sense to me. The difference between can't and won't is basically it. It's not that they "can't" use up all the OP, it's that at this current time, they won't. (As I'm assumed to understand how it would work).

Again, poor cups...

My guess is that RJ wasn't precise enough when asked this question.

There's a finite amount of power available at any given time. When this power is used up it is refilled. Perhaps, it is refilled by recycling what has been used, perhaps the creator refills it, who knows.

The universe is finite, the one power which is the same on all worlds, galaxies, etc. the supply is on the universal scale, it powers the wheel of time (time is also being driven thru out the universe)

I mentioned before if Rand channels all the power that can be used in our world... thats still relative to the ratio of the mass of the planet to the mass of the universe

Archived