DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand needs Androl to succeed

Lisa Campbell

Yes or some new weave that is a master key so to speak.

I'm sure some plot device can be worked out.

My point remains: In the AoL, they knew exactly how the spike were constructed, what it did, and how it could be controlled by a key. They also knew Linking and they had a pretty good grasp of Travel and TAR. They had many Spikes to work with under lab conditions with research Budgets and a large supply of strong willing channelers of both genders. If it was an easy "Crack" it would have been found.

In the BT sequence, Androl doesn't have a clue what he's hunting for, neither he nor Pevara know about TAR at all, etc.

To make the Androl-Pevara thing believable, Brandon (or RJ if it's in the notes) would have to invent something pretty unusual.

Edit: typos

I don't think Androl will have much to do with the major arc (the DO). Most of the foreshadowing and key points have been introduced in the first three books. Androl wasn't mentioned until much, much later. If he was somehow the key to success, RJ would have had him in earlier. He is a random character barely mentioned and only turns up at the end of the 13th book.

For him to have such a huge role would go against the way RJ wrote and developed the story. He liked to foreshadow things, not just pull out a totally random and new ability that manages to be exactly what they need. (Well, they did foreshadow Androl's role, his Talent was mentioned in passing in like PoD (can't exactly remember) but even then, to play a role in defeating the DO, it is too late, IMO)

As to Androl's role, I think he will be key in defeating Taim. Not because he can fight well, he can barely channel, but because of his Gateway talent. I don't see it as implausible. The Talent could very well have existed in the AoL, and most likely did. But it would be a rare one. The Dreamspike doesn't suddenly turn useless, Androl can't just create a gateway. However, with both sides of the Power (the greatest achievements always used both saidin and saidar) I think he could make a Gateway for at least long enough to alert Rand or someone about Taim.

The whole plot with the BT revolves around the inability to get out. They are trapped and Taim has them pretty much cornered. I don't think Androl will destroy the Dreamspike, or play a major role in actually defeating Taim, he is not a major character. He will, in my opinion, temporarily bypass the Dreamspike and get a message out so Rand etc.. comes to their rescue.

As I said, it wouldn't make the Dreamspike useless. It would take someone with a Gateway Talent and a link with both Saidin and saidar used. That may only be able to temporarily open a Gateway, just long and big enough to get word to someone on the outside. While it coiuld be said to be a weakness in the Dreamspike, it would not be rendered a failure. It still would be a powerful tool which provides and advantage, even if it can be breached.

Depending on how one views Taim - new age badguy, Ishydin/Dem proxy, a forsaken in hiding - his opinion of Androl's gateway ability, "Impossible," may prove relevant here. Logain's remark was "impressive." One of the other forsaken in hiding - Dashiva I think - refers to something Rand does or thinks about doing as "impossible" or maybe "not possible." And then there is the scene with Moridin watching Avi's unweaving and expressing the same idea: current agers performing a feat with the power AoLers did not think was possible. If Androl's Talent is that unique, the Dreamspike probably would not be able to contain him if he is guiding a circle.

To me, "Talent" means more than just extra power when referencing a skill with a certain weave, i.e. a bigger gateway. The best term that comes to mind would be the "dexterity" of creating that particular weave increases for the channeler as well. Further though, "Talent" also means an intuitive feeling for applying the weave without step-by-step rationalization beforehand which includes the capacity to adapt the weave with additional wrinkles in the current threads or adding more threads. This is the aspect of Androl's ability that will prove crucial once he has lead of a circle.

Barid I can see where you're coming from in thinking that Androl is an inconsequential character because of his late entry but we know that RJ introduced many to us whose plotlines won't be completed. If he hadn't fallen to his illness, my opinion is that he would have finalised or given hints the their endings.

BS adding Androl at this late stage is intentional and so I believe, important. Otherwise he could have explained the Dreamspike blockage without Androl at all.

Archived