DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Callandor

dalic

Yes, Callandor was in existence when Paren Disen was abandoned.  Problem is we have no idea how long after the Strike on SG that was.  At best we can put it sometime after the Strike and before it got put on display in Tear.

Here the timeline in regards to Callandor.

Charn is 25 when the bore is drilled.  His grandson Coumin is 16 when the Bore is sealed.

Coumin is 63 when he discovers the Aes Sedai planning to place Callandor in the Stone presumably the day before the destruction of Paren Disen.

That makes it the year 47 AB

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who's wrong?

The drilling of the bore was followed by 100 years or so of what was called the "decline" followed by the War of Power, then the strike and the sealing, then the breaking.  It all took place over a period of several hundred years

If you would refer to The Shadow Rising, Rand sees through the eyes of his ancestors.  The breaking of the world didn't start until after the sealing of the Bore and the first calendar after the Breaking starts sometime after the sealing of the Bore.

Although I went back and checked and it was

Charn is 25 when the bore is drilled. 

His grandson Coumin is 16 when the Bore is sealed.

Coumin's grandson Jonai is 63 when he discovers the Aes Sedai planning to place Callandor in the Stone presumably the day before the destruction of Paren Disen.

which throws an extra generation in there and makes it closer to 100 or 150 years after the breaking that Cllandor was placed in the Stone.

um...are you sure you've gotten all the names and relations down right?

i don't have TSR with me, but as i remember it(i don't remember any names), in the first scene(chronologically speaking), aiel-A was lanfear's assistant, who witnessed the drilling of the bore.  next scene(this takes place during the sealing of the bore), aiel-B is the grandson of a-A, they do their singing, yada yada yada, a-B finds a-A hung by the other people.  next scene, a-B is older now and witnesses the callandor scene.  are you SURE you wrote everything down correctly?

in any case, according to the glossary in the book, the first calendar(AB - After Breaking) starts after the death of the last male aes sedai, an event signifying the end of the Breaking[there appears to have been no calendar used during the breaking - that survived in any case].  cite your source for the AB calendar.

Quote from: Luckers on March 23, 2008, 06:58:17 PM

We also don't know how many of the other Forsaken were at Shayol Ghoul at the time, and not caught in the sealing. Certainly given Ishamael was only partially caught, and Balthemel and aginor were caught that the edge it seems very possible that there were others there who weren't caught. And Shayol Ghoul probably did have lesser Forsaken stationed at or nearby in order to guard it. With Travelling an option the possibility of attack must have been known.

the thing is, there were ways to prevent travelling in the first place.  why weren't they in place at that time?

the simplest solution is that the anti-travelling wards(or w/e kinda weave) could not be tied off, while also requiring strong channelers to function.  the forsaken, confident that they were at the brink of victory, would have stripped their reserves(including shayol ghul) to participate on the front.

But there were also ways to get around anti-travelling wards. I don't think we have the basis to make any assumptions at this stage--and i certainly don't think that given the Shadow was the stronger of the two that they would abandon the defence of Shayol Ghoul at a time when they knew the Light was developing a method to attack the bore--I'm speaking of the Choedan Kal, which the Forsaken did not know were no longer and option, and which Graendal makes clear the Shadow were aware of.

thats only furthering my point that the shadow would have put everything into its offenses.

if your enemy has a superweapon nearing construction that you couldn't defend against, would you A) guard your critical territories and futilely attempt to stop the unstoppable weapon, or B) do your goddamned best to stop the weapon from being used(in this case, by capturing them)

um...are you sure you've gotten all the names and relations down right?

i don't have TSR with me, but as i remember it(i don't remember any names), in the first scene(chronologically speaking), aiel-A was lanfear's assistant, who witnessed the drilling of the bore.  next scene(this takes place during the sealing of the bore), aiel-B is the grandson of a-A, they do their singing, yada yada yada, a-B finds a-A hung by the other people.  next scene, a-B is older now and witnesses the callandor scene.  are you SURE you wrote everything down correctly?

I went back and rechecked my recheck and it went like this (from TSR)

Summary of the genealogy:

Charn (Meirin/Lanfear's assistant during the AoL) greatfather of the father of

Coumin (our aforementioned seed Singer)  father of

Jonai (who first lead the wagon teams with the items of the Power)father of

Adan (leader of the wagons when the Tinkers split off) father of

Marind father of

Lewin (The frist Aiel to pick up a Spear and use it)

However, you are correct that the calendar wasn't in common usage until the breaking had settled, a gap of several decades

BFB -

The HC went insane immediately, but were in Shadow-controlled territory, so it was some time before anyone knew what had happened to them.

HUH?  You do know that they could Travel, don't you?  Seems most likely that once the Seals were placed they got outa Dodge.  Then, made whatever report they could in the state they were in and went home to have a tall cool one.  Finally, a couple days later, somebody's headache got bad enough that he JUST COULDN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE.  Somebody else looked at what he had done and thought, "Yeah!  I need to do that, too!"

From there, things took a HARD left.  Nobody was careful about signaling either.

You do know that they went insane on the instant, don't you- we have that from the author's own mouth.

The HC radiated out from SG- I believe that's in some of the glossaries. Also from the author's own mouth.

They were already insane when the Sealing finished. There was no Travelling home for a cold one.

Archived