Thorum

Which one is the best?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is the best?

• DL
    • BA
    • SS

Guest cwestervelt
algspkr: Taim is almost certainly a DF, he has ordered known darkfriends to kill Rand, and we have that great "Let the Lord of Chaos rule." statement from him in KoD. And I don't see any Dark vs Dark showdowns coming so Logain must not be a DF.

There isn't any concrete evidence against Taim, it is all circumstantial. That much circumstantial just smells of a set up.

Ordered known darkfriends to kill Rand: That they where Darkfriends only became known after the attempt to kill Rand. We don't even know that they acted because of Taim's orders as Demandred issued the same ones to them. Why would Demandred break chain of command?

What about the "Let the Lord of Chaos rule" statement? The Foresaken didn't teach the 3rd Agers what "Lord of Chaos" meant as the phrase originates in a 3rd Age holiday. As it is a regional colloquialism, it isn't surprising that Taim would know it and someone else not. His henchman were just as likely laughing at him as with him.

His palace, colors, etc? He's a blind arrogant fool and all the ostentation could easily just be his lieutenants feeding his ego. If one of them would say "You need a good color scheme. I know, red on black would look so impressive, it would just exude an aura of power", Taim would buy right into it.

Edit: fix typos

What about the "Let the Lord of Chaos rule" statement? The Foresaken didn't teach the 3rd Agers what "Lord of Chaos" meant as the phrase originates in a 3rd Age holiday. As it is a regional colloquialism, it isn't surprising that Taim would know it and someone else not. His henchman were just as likely laughing at him as with him.

I believe that you are mistaken about the origin of the phrase. We first see it in the opening quote of LoC (sorry I don't remember what that is called):

The lions sing and the hills take flight.

The moon by day, and the sun by night.

Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.

Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

-chant from a children's game heard in Great Arvalon, the Fourth Age.

That is the first time we see the quote as a common expression. We next hear it from a few of the Forsaken, seeming to originate from the DO. The first time we see anyone below Forsaken rank hearing it is in the KoD prologue when Semirhage says it to Suroth: "She [semirhage] laughed again, and said something strange. 'Let the lord of chaos rule.'" It is obvious from this that Suroth had never heard the saying before.

The last person we have saying it is of course Taim: "'Besides, you must remember the old saying. Let the lord of chaos rule.'...Pevara had never heard any saying like that." Like the Suroth quote this one is obvious that Pevara has not heard it either.

Let the lord of chaos rule is not a common saying in the Third Age, it is an order from the Dark One, which makes it almost certain that Taim is a darkfrind, or a New Forsaken.

I believe that you are mistaken about the origin of the phrase. We first see it in the opening quote of LoC (sorry I don't remember what that is called):

I think cwestervelt was referring to information about the Feast of Fools that is spoken of in the BWB. From page 290 of that book, describing the celebration of that Feast:

In many villages and towns the most foolish person is given a title such as the Lord/Lady of Unreason/Misrule/Chaos or the King/Queen of Fools.

"Lord of Chaos" is obviously one of the possible combinations listed. However, given Pevara's and Suroth's reactions to the specific phrase "Let the Lord of Chaos rule", that phrase does not seem to be a part of the common celebration of the festival. That makes it MUCH more likely that Taim had it from one of the Forsaken, and in conjunction with all the other admittedly circumstantial evidence, makes it likely that he is a Darkfriend. In my opinion.

Guest cwestervelt
Considering that he supposedly guards one of the seals of the Dark One's Prison and Min saw the viewing showing glory.

When did he start guarding a seal?

And where does it say Logain's glory will be a good thing? Min was never very happy about her visions that had it.

• 3 weeks later...

Of course Min isn't going to be happy about a viewing that links a false dragon with glory. I just don't see Logain as a darkfriend. Also, concerning Taim, the "Let the Lord of Chaos rule" comment doesn't make him a darkfriend, it's odd, but so is Taim, and that quote just sorta fits him. I DO believe Mazrim is a darkfriend, considering I'm pretty sure that when he was freed, it was by the Black Ajah, while they very well could have freed him to cause Rand some problems, it's more likely they were told to free Taim, considering he is a powerful 3rd Age male channeler, and if he was a darkfriend, it would only support that.

Back to Logain, while nothing for sure shows him as walking in the Light, nothing even remotely implies that he is a darkfriend either, and despite being a false dragon now following Rand, he seems too loyal to be a darkfriend.

~V1zharan~

Archived