DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand is probably...

Randfan75

The most uninspired character I've ever had the displeasure of getting acquainted with. Must have been hard to come up with a character like that, and even harder to write about. Hmmm, what would be a good character... Ah yeah, one that's unstoppable in every way, and he should have three lovers, who don't mind sharing him because he's the epitome of awesome. Oh yeah! And in case something happens, let it be his destiny to succeed, that'll be incredibly exciting to read about. There's one issue though. What if he faces an army of a million men? No worries, he'll just blow them up with magic, since he's invincible. Oh, and he should use a ninja sword, one of the most inferior swords known to man. Because it's so fricken cool. Not like you need gear when you're already unstoppable in every way, BUT HE'S ONLY SECOND BEST WITH THE SWORD, SO IT'S NOT LIKE HE'S TOO GOOD.

Luckily there's something that exceeds the paltriness of the character, and that's the people worshipping him. Sure, I could pretend you're all 12 years old so it wouldn't bother me, but it does bother me that you can't acknowledge the very essence of Mary Sue which is Rand al'Thor, and the reason why fantasy can't be taken seriously as a genre. The level of daftness can never be described in words, but you're obviously beyond redemption if you can't already see that. In fact, I urge you to stay in Randland forever, you don't deserve any better.

:flamingsword::rand::flamingsword::rand::flamingsword::rand::flamingsword::rand::flamingsword::rand::flamingsword::rand::flamingsword::rand::flamingsword::rand::flamingsword::rand::flamingsword::rand:

FLAMING NINJA SWORDS, WHAT MORE CAN ANYONE EVER WANT

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So basically you haven't read all of the books

Way to admit I was right about your hero. Here, have some flaming ninja swords :flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword:

I mean.....

Look, if you really don't like the character and would like to engage in a semi-formal debate (and perhaps less sarcastic) slash discussion then by all means lets discuss the finer points of said character. I mean heck - there is an Anti-Egwene thread around here somewhere.

If your attempt was to stir the bee's nest you won't really find much here.

To me Rand represents the tortured hero/savior. Just as I think Jesus was illustrated in the Bible, just as I think Harry Potter was in his series. It is an archetype. Its not garbage. But I would love to hear your perspective - albeit a bit more pleasant.

So basically you haven't read all of the books

Way to admit I was right about your hero. Here, have some flaming ninja swords :flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword:

I mean.....

Look, if you really don't like the character and would like to engage in a semi-formal debate (and perhaps less sarcastic) slash discussion then by all means lets discuss the finer points of said character. I mean heck - there is an Anti-Egwene thread around here somewhere.

If your attempt was to stir the bee's nest you won't really find much here.

To me Rand represents the tortured hero/savior. Just as I think Jesus was illustrated in the Bible, just as I think Harry Potter was in his series. It is an archetype. Its not garbage. But I would love to hear your perspective - albeit a bit more pleasant.

Sure, that sounds lovely. Actually, what you explain here is exactly my problem with the character. At least Harry Potter appears weak and pathetic most of the time, and relies on his heroes, and Jesus, while being the son of God, still was helpless when they killed him.

Joining a community only to inanely bash a character with your first posts under multiple handles? Yeah not trolling in the slightest, you got us mate.

I repeat, you should learn what trolling is. I'm being sincere. Also, I only have this handle, so why don't you try falsifying my claims instead of making stuff up.

I think its funny how you bash the OP and those who agree with him/her because he is judgmental and makes assumptions, I mean, aren't we all? Then you hop up and assume he is 17 years old. Sad really. Anyway as I kinda agree with the OPs statements about this character, why don't you come with reasons why he is a good character, rather than call him a troll?

Poor lil kid is probably 17 years old and has the sunday off with nothing else to do but troll

Are you alright, good sir? I'm not the one sporting my picture on a public forum, claiming others are seeking attention.

Look, I get that you can't admit that I'm right in public, you'd be shunned from the site. But at least call me something worthwhile, because I'm not trolling! :rolleyes: It would be like me claiming you're a dodo, it just doesn't make sense here.

In the Game of Trolls, you either troll or you die.

So friend, what do you like most about Rand? Is it that he's invincible? I like the way he can't be stopped, not even with cryptonite.

Even if Sauron, Voldemort and Lucifer himself put all their might together, Rand would not break a sweat teaching them that evil doesn't pay. :wub: :wub: :wub:

I'd love to see the IP of those two new users created within 2 min of each other :rolleyes:

You know, funnily that isn't me, but it doesn't actually matter, cause it helped confirm what I already knew. There's no way to debate this, everyone knows the character is one gigantic Mary Sue. Instead of giving me one measly example to counter my claims, all there is to do is call me a troll and claim I'm using multiple handles. "Won't dignify your trolling," doesn't work either since people are responding like it's on sale for 19.99.

:flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword:

I'd love to see the IP of those two new users created within 2 min of each other :rolleyes:

You know, funnily that isn't me, but it doesn't actually matter, cause it helped confirm what I already knew. There's no way to debate this, everyone knows the character is one gigantic Mary Sue. Instead of giving me one measly example to counter my claims, all there is to do is call me a troll and claim I'm using multiple handles. "Won't dignify your trolling," doesn't work either since people are responding like it's on sale for 19.99.

:flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword:

If he were that "perfect" I doubt he would go insane and cause the death of thousand of people.

Its funny how you spit yourself in the eye by jumping to conclusions. Sure, that must look suspicious, but its still quite funny to me, knowing I'm not Randfan75.

Anyway, if I start a thread asking what people like/dislike about the character, will people respond differently, even if I state that I think the character is poor? Because I genuinely want to know. I stopped reading the books because so many things seemed obsolete, in part because of some things the OP mentioned.

If he were that "perfect" I doubt he would go insane and cause the death of thousand of people.

Sure, but add it up to his God on steroids like powers and it's like who cares.

a few reasons why the character in question is interesting and a good character?

Yeah, the thing about that is..................................................

:flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword: :flamingsword:

This is what I'll leave you with. Have fun reading about God 2.0. A little tip though, it's not hard to just scribble down a few words like unstoppable and divinely handsomme, and you can make your own character that's already as brilliant as Rand al'Thor. Add an extra lover and you'll even surpass his brilliance, if that's even possible. :berelain::graendal::lanfear::egwene:

Sure, he's as strong as a male channeler can be, but so is Ishamael, and Aginor is damned close to being just as strong. Demandred if I'm not mistaken isn't far from either? Of course he's a strong as it's possible for a male to be, his very existence was designed by the creator(Or the wheel) to battle the Dark One and save the wheel.

He's good with swords? Sure, but he also had 400 years worth of experience seeping into him through his paste life as LTT.

What you both seem to forget is the massive personality flaws he has. He's insane, or getting there very quickly.

Sure, that sounds lovely. Actually, what you explain here is exactly my problem with the character. At least Harry Potter appears weak and pathetic most of the time, and relies on his heroes, and Jesus, while being the son of God, still was helpless when they killed him.

Are you trying to say that Rand never has help. Either you haven't read it, and you're picking some random thing to troll, or you have read it, and for some reason it stayed in your mind (I would bet you like it, too), or else you would have gone and trolled on Youtube videos or something. Not a WoT page. *LOL*

I have commented on how I believe Rand is part of an archetype. An archetype that is very common in the Fantasy Genre.

Before you rip on how fantasy will never be taken seriously as a Genre - I would be very interested to see how you define a genre that is "taken seriously". Fantasy has always and will always have a dedicated fan base - regardless of how popular media feels about Fantasy - which if you haven't noticed has really gotten on the bandwagon in that regards.

Also, as I stated earlier archetypes are common throughout all genres not just Fantasy. In fact all great stories have threads of commonalty within them.

I just don't understand your disdain for the character because he is invincible. Although to be honest - he isn't at all.

Rand is ( I have only read to book four at the moment)..... stubborn to a fault causing him to be highly suspicious of other characters for not real reason. He is unsure of his abilities in a sadly tragic way. He is scared and terrified of what his future may bring. And yet - to me - completely missing the point that because although prophecy says he will be a certain way, nothing is written in stone - he doesn't realize he is free to make choices - he is not a slave to some prophecy.

He has faults. As any character in any book and any story has. He struggles with his power that is - yes, powerful and almighty - this is custom to any book....... any persons real life.

In the end, isn't that what anyones reality is - learning, struggling, and finally believing in ones own powers? I don't understand your disdain.

I thought he was alright early on, notably most of the first book. From there on my liking for the character dropped book by book. I appreciated his personality warring with that of his "predecessor", though admittedly I was hoping for the latter to win, not that I'm like to find out how that went, but I can guess. I guess I'm just not down with the whole concept of receiving godlike powers because you were destined to do so, or suddenly have someone else's power, skills and talents by directly inheriting them, you get the idea I'm sure.

I guess I'm just not down with the whole concept of receiving godlike powers because you were destined to do so, or suddenly have someone else's power, skills and talents by directly inheriting them, you get the idea I'm sure.

Again- using my other examples ( Harry Potter, Jesus, let's say Frodo.....I'll throw in Tom Sawyer, Robert Langdon of the Da Vinci Code series, King Arthur, David of the Old Testament..... etc)

All of the great stories usually (though not always, obviously) have a main character or at least supporting character that has been given a charge without their really wanting to be that, or through various events not of their choosing - are held responsible to carry out some sort of mission.

I just don't know why you guys are so upset to the point of sarcasm. I'm not going to act like my fellow Dragonmounters who frankly I am very embarrassed of for acting they way they are on this thread, but at the same time I just have not seen a real honest reason to dislike the character.

I guess..... how would you prefer he be written? I say that in all seriousness. I am genuinely interested.

As for having a mission and so on, that I don't have a problem with, seeing as its not always that great writing about a completely uneventful life. However, I think things should be taken in moderation. What is the point of there being armies and generals and nations when one person can just blow them up with a flick of his finger? Taking these books as an example other characters also have destinies and so on, and I found myself enjoying Perrin's narratives, for an example. As to how I'd want the character written, that's hard to say, I guess I'd find him more interesting if he, let's say, was not so physically skilled or something like that. It does feel really unnecessary that a magician with godlike powers is a grand master swordsman. That's what comes to mind on a whim.

Archived