DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Wheel of Time Movie Soundtrack:

Ben Breeck

Here is the topic:

Imagine that Red Eagle Productions has accquired the backing of a rich "Silent Partner" who disires in return nothing but his proper share of the gross. A Big Name director with a resume similar to Peter Jackson's has been selected to direct a live action version of the Wheel of Time series as a group of movies(Say, Sam Raimi, for the sake of arguement). Robert Jordan has personally grilled him on what he plans to do and has signed off on him as well. The cast is a mix of unknowns and relative unknowns in the big roles (The Emond's Field group, among others) and big name stars in supporting roles (Cate Blanchet as Morgase, Jo Anderson as Siuan Sanche, Gary Busey as Rhuarc, for instance). No one stands out as particularly ill suited to their role, even if few look to be absulutely spot on matches on paper. The Special Effects are from respectable houses (Folks like Industrial Light and Magic, Digital Domain, and Rhythm and Hues), the weapons (as close to the original descriptions in the books as possible) are under the supervision of Award Winning Custom Blacksmiths (such as Dan Fogg, Angus Trim, and Ed "Tinker" Pierce) for prototypes, and an operation to put Weta Worksop to shame for regular production, and stunts and martial arts training are being handled by the ARMA, The London Company of Maisters, and several old Japanese and Korean martial arts schools. In short, everything about the production of this hypothetical Wheel of Time movie series equals or exceeds that of Peter Jackson's effort with Tollkien's seminal trilogy.

With one exception.

The production is unable to find any symphonically orchestral composer out there of the caliber of John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, Howard Shore, or Danny Elfman. They all have some sort of scheduling demands on their time which put them at a severe disability.

As a result, you, the reader of this post is called upon to determine a musical soundtrack for the series.

Obviously, unless you are extremely talented (Say, experience of writing compositions for the college orchestra you played in, or recorded professional musician on a major label) you won't actually do any composing yourself, but you can select musical selections to place in the movie.

What would you choose?

A score inspired by traditional music, mainly Irish and Scandinavian, but with additions from others to suit certain nations. I'm talking real folk music, not bloody Enya.

And of course with instrumentation that suits the music and the world. Harps, dulcimers, fiddles, etc. Instruments that could actually exist in this world.

A score inspired by traditional music' date=' mainly Irish and Scandinavian, but with additions from others to suit certain nations. I'm talking real folk music, not bloody Enya.

[/quote']

Sounds good. Yeah, Enya would be as out of place as Sherryl Crowe or Bjork. :lol:

And of course with instrumentation that suits the music and the world. Harps, dulcimers, fiddles, etc. Instruments that could actually exist in this world.

Which means no brass instruments for you except maybe straight trumpets for royal courts and army bugles, right?

Which means no brass instruments for you except maybe straight trumpets for royal courts and army bugles, right?

Closest thing to brass would be tin whistles :D

Well, just to be contrary, with the excepetion of some synchronous music form sings in the background (All directly from the books, of course) I'll do a rock and roll soundtrack, with the following songs:

Mat's theme: Space Cowboy (The Joker) by the Steve Miller Band

Perrin's Theme: Bark at the Moon by Ozzie Osbourne

Rand's Theme: Carry on Wayward Son by Kansas

Moiraine's Theme: Change of Heart by Cindi Lauper

Lan's Theme: Hero by Ministry

General Whitecloak Theme: Killing in the Name of by Rage Against the Machine

Loial's Theme: Freebird by Lynnard Skynnard

In the Ways: They're Coming to Take Me Away by Napoleon XVI

In the Blight: Corosion by Ministry

The fight with the Terrible Twosome and its aftermath: We are the Champions by Queen

At the Darkfriend Social: Sympathy for the Devil by the Rolling Stones

As Moiraine reads the prophecy aloud: Symphony of Destruction by Megadeth.

Setting off on the Great Hunt: Eye of the Tiger by Foreigner

The group meets Selene: Rihannon by Fleetwood Mac

Egwene and Nyneave in the White Tower: Just A Girl By No Doubt.

Liandrin's Betrayal: Witchy Woman by The Eagles

High Lady Suroth's Theme: Evil Woman by ELO

Five Riding Forth: Riders in the Sky as covered by Reverend Horton Heat

Love Theme of Perrin and Faile: We Belong by Pat Benatar

The Fight with Be'lal and Ishamael: Hangar 18 by Megadeth

Berelain's Theme: Material Girl by Madonna

Love Theme of Rand and Elayne: Once Upon a Time by the Moody Blues

Within the Snakes/Foxes' realm: Don't Come Around Here No More by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Lanfear reveals herself to Rand: Missionary Man by Eurythmics

(More Later)

Comments? Flames?

Walking through Rhuidean: In the House of Stone and Light by Martin Page

Victory at Emond's Field: We Did it All for the Glory of Love by Boston

Asmodean's Theme:De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da by The Police

"Love Theme" of Rand and Aviendha: Take it off by The Donnas

Gaebril/Rhavin's Theme: Master of Puppets by Metallica

The Battle at the Walls of Cairhein: Push Push Lady Lightning by Bang Camaro

Rand's Struggles with Lews Therin: Institutionalised by Suicidal Tendancies

Rand Establishes the Asha'man Order: Another Brick in the Wall, Part Two by Pink Floyd

Aviendha Confesses to Elayne: Criminal by Finoa Apple

As Altaran Social and Marriage Customs are Discussed: Express Yourself by Madonna

Love Theme of Rand and Min: Making Love Out of Nothing At All by Air Supply

Battle of Dumai's Wells: Cowboys from Hell by Pantera

"Love Theme" of Mat and Tylin: Crazy on You by Heart

As Moghedien recovers from her time with Shaidar Haran: Live To Tell by Madonna

Egwene's Nightmare of Monster Movie Rand: Godzilla by Blue Oyster Cult (alternatively, Trogdor by Strong Bad)

The Seanchan Take Ebou Dar: Rock You like a Hurricaine by The Scorpoins

The Battle of Illian: Through the Fire and Flames by Dragonforce

Morgase endures the Hospitality of the Whitecloaks:If My Mind be Evil by White Lion

Perrin Encounters Masema Again: Psalm 69 by Ministry

The Bowl of the Winds is Used and the Weather Returns to Normal: Winds of Change by Stryper

The Kidnapping of Faile: Paint It Black by the Rolling Stones

Perrin Agonises over Same: I Would do Anything for Love, But I Won't do That by Meatloaf and Patti Loveless

Cleansing the Taint: Run fot the Hills by Iron Maiden

The End is in Sight!

Comments? Flames?

Yeah ... I think you missed the point.

The point is they you are trying to force a context into the song that the words themselves don't mention.

That song is not like, say, Don McLean's American Pie, which does mention specific people (James Dean, for example), places and events(A football game halftime show that either ended too late, or else the third quarter began too soon, take your pick), religious charecters (The Devil and the Holy Trinity, specifally, which wouldn't have been mentioned in Randland in those terms), and other miscelaneous things that anchor it to it's relative time and place (Randland does not have paperboys, for instance).

It that song conjures up mental images of good ol' Southern Boys in guaged in typical behavior, then it conjures up preconcieved notions, not actual details.

It seems that we will never convince each other of our respective positions, so let's just agree to disagree.

So, what do you think of the rest of the song selections?

Anything that stuck out as a particularly bad choice? And if so, what?

Uhm, everything? :lol:

First of all, none of the songs fits with a fantasy movie.

Then, it doesn't look like there's much thought behind it, it seems like it's a mix of songs you like, and titles you think fits with certain events in the books, without really looking what the song actually is about, or whether the song fits musically.

Over all, the list is very confused, Madonna, Ministry and Fiona Apple, what would possibly connect them musically?

Mixing such different styles works in a film set in our time perhaps, where people's musical habits can look like that. But not in a fantasy film.

And then, several of them are completely rubbish as songs :lol:

And a final thing, it is not a good idea to pick well known songs for a soundtrack, unless it is a soundtrack set in a modern context where the song belongs, so it can enhance the mood of a certain scene.

Uhm, everything? :lol:

First of all, none of the songs fits with a fantasy movie.

Then, it doesn't look like there's much thought behind it, it seems like it's a mix of songs you like, and titles you think fits with certain events in the books, without really looking what the song actually is about, or whether the song fits musically.

Over all, the list is very confused, Madonna, Ministry and Fiona Apple, what would possibly connect them musically?

Mixing such different styles works in a film set in our time perhaps, where people's musical habits can look like that. But not in a fantasy film.

And then, several of them are completely rubbish as songs :lol:

And a final thing, it is not a good idea to pick well known songs for a soundtrack, unless it is a soundtrack set in a modern context where the song belongs, so it can enhance the mood of a certain scene.

And that's why I pray that Red Eagle never selects me to arrange the soundtrack.

And that's why I pray that Red Eagle never selects me to arrange the soundtrack.

Well, they can always give me a call, I'd be more than happy to arrange the music, I've got a few composers in mind that would be brilliant for the job. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived