DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The light of the world

Dbajdek

I skipped a bunch of comments so someone could have said it, but the old phrase goes "the eye is the window in to the soul." They may have taken the eye and are living vicariously through it, seeing his experiences in the past, and possibly his present as well. They feed off of emotions and what not and they may have found a renewable resource for that, and a taveren one no less. Doubt we will get an answer but there's my 2 cents.

Also, consider this:

"How it twists around him!" said the one who had taken his eye. "How it spins! Scents of blood in the air! And the gambler becomes the centre of all! I can taste fate itself!"

Have the Eelfinn acquired some sort of ta'veren 'key' to the Pattern?

Either that or the fulfillment of the prophecy just opened up a whole new vision they get of him. I tried to find where I saw it in another thread but couldn't, but doesn't Cads say Mat is the strongest taveren besides Rand? More so than Hawkwing most likely was? Which is bold considering what Hawkwing did, so hopefully this can shed some light on what he will do with the Seanchan. Unless I'm misremembering what I read.

Back in TDR8, Mooiraine says that of Rand:

"Artur Hawkwing was the most strongly ta'veren of whom any writings remain. And Hawkwing was in no way as strong as Rand."

But later on, in TDR42:

"I was a fool. Rand is so strongly ta'veren that I ignored what it must mean that he had two others close by him, With Perrin and Mat, the Amyrlin may still be able to affect the course of events.

This seems to indicate that Mat and Perrin are second only to Rand, the strongest ta'veren since Hawkwing, and then some!

BTW: Moiraine is talking about Siuan as Amyrlin; but I wonder if this is a bit of foreshadowing..

• 1 month later...

Sorry to resurrect but as FSM quoted "the gambler becomes the center of all"

I take this to mean the eventual truce with Tuon leading to the new AoL. Especially since he is the best person to facilitate this. The "to save the world" part of his prophecy may not mean the LB but the world after..

Since the only reason he needed to give up half the light was to save Moiraine, that seems to indicate that saving her will save the world.

I take this to mean the eventual truce with Tuon leading to the new AoL. Especially since he is the best person to facilitate this. The "to save the world" part of his prophecy may not mean the LB but the world after..

Since the only reason he needed to give up half the light was to save Moiraine, that seems to indicate that saving her will save the world.

Of course you would know that...you're one of the finnssss...:p

Of course you would know that...you're one of the finnssss...:p

Heh, actually Finnssss comes from an old D&D character of mine named Finn Searin. He was a Bounty Hunter that went by the name of Finesse.

Sounded cool at the time ;)

Also, consider this:

"How it twists around him!" said the one who had taken his eye. "How it spins! Scents of blood in the air! And the gambler becomes the centre of all! I can taste fate itself!"

Have the Eelfinn acquired some sort of ta'veren 'key' to the Pattern?

I didn't see any deeper meaning than the choice that Mat has at that moment basically hangs the world in the balance. If he pays the price, he has given people a chance to win and 'save the world'. If he doesn't pay the price, then no moraine, no deal, the world will surely fall. Everything hangs on his decision at that moment. Believe that is 'fate' and 'center of it all' that they are 'savoring'.

And I also take the 'save the world' to mean Moraine has some critical role to play. Without her the conquest is doomed and the world will fall. My best guess is that it has to do with Callandor and Rand, and that she and Nynaeve are the two trusted people Rand is taking with him. She either has some knowledge, or ability that will impact that event. IMO.

Archived