DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What do we know about fancloth?

charis sedai

I am a seamstress and costumer, and I am DYING of curiosity about Fancloth.

I know, essentially, what it is.

What I'm really wondering is if there is any indication in the books of what it feels or looks like. I'm looking for specifics, facts or informed conjectures.

Things like:

what does it feel like? Is it silky? fuzzy? smooth, soft? warm feeling, cool feeling? rough woven?

What color is it? I know it changes but do we have any idea what it oscillates between? Gray? Green? Brown? Black? Blue?

I'd really appreciate any input you all have!

Charis

From Encyclopedia WoT

Fancloth is a material that distorts transmitted and reflected light in a way that makes it very difficult to see. Warders' cloaks are made of fancloth. It is manufactured with a ter'angreal in the White Tower.

References

Guide - Fancloth is manufactured with a ter'angreal in the White Tower.

TSR,Ch26 - In the Age of Legends, fancloth was considered stylish. During the War of Power soldiers wore it.

ACoS,Ch20 - The Watcher covers himself completely with fancloth so he cannot be seen.

TPoD,Ch2 - Fancloth is manufactured with a ter'angreal in the White Tower.

i think the elven cloak description is as close as you can get to what RJ was going for here, though he was taking it a step farther, the ability to blend in with the background is definitely there in the tolkien. saved frodo and sam's lives.

here's a website from someone else who was trying to recreate them.

http://100milefiberfest.blogspot.com/2007/11/quest-for-tolkien-yarn.html

and heres a quote from it.

Tolkien described the elvish cloaks that were gifted to the fellowhip in Lord of the Rings as,"...of the light but warm silken stuff that Galadhrim wove. It was hard to say of what colour they were: grey with the hue of twilight under the trees they seemed to be; and yet if they moved, or set in another light, they were green as shadowed leaves, or brown as fallow fields by night, dusk silver as water under the stars....Leaf and branch, water and stone: they have the hue and beauty of all these things under twilight of Lorien that we love; for we put the thought of all that we love into all that we make...they are light to wear, and warm enough or cool enough at need."

i think you could do worse than that description for a real word facsimile.

Try it from a different angle. If you wanted to make a suitable fabric for a Warden to wear, what characteristics should it have? How about:

Light

Soft

Sheds dirt

Waterproof but breatheable

Changes colour according to surroundings

Strong - doesn't tear easily, deflects arrows and knives

Keeps the wearer at a comfortable temperature regardless of weather

...now all you have to do is design it! :wink:

Archived