DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Pillowfriends

ElusiveAthena

and since when do you of all posters think a topic has been discussed to death :smile:

When it is convenient :smile:

If RJ was more like GRRM, he'd have written in detail about all the prostitutes who usually followed the armies. But apparently, as he said himself, in Randland there was no prostitution.

Riiiiiiight. No prostitution in Randland. And the entire having a sexual relationship in the Shaido camp for protection and preferred status is absolutely nothing remotely similar to what is prostitution.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I just think RJ was going senile towards the end before he hit the bucket. Especially it seems ludicrous to think that in a land struck by famine that some women wouldn't whore out for a bite of food either for themselves or their kids (dad died fighting for the Dragon) from wealthier men, especially since RJ already makes a point to portray the Randland nobles and merchants with a less than flattering moral compass.

Guest PiotrekS

interesting how he contradicts himself in that quote. i think

the affection was negotiable as it always is to some extent. more or less obviously.

and that's a proper derail

A nice and proper derail :smile:

Sometimes affection is negotiable, sometimes is is purely random and wild and makes no sense at all, as I've discovered :wink:

Well RJ as a heterosexual man probably had a fantasy for lesbians...and considering that straight women typically do not seem to have a similar fascination with gay men, he has every group covered except for gay men.

Ehm. The main target group for male-to-male sexual romance/erotic novels are heterosexual women between the ages of 19-50.

Yeah I just think RJ was going senile towards the end before he hit the bucket. Especially it seems ludicrous to think that in a land struck by famine that some women wouldn't whore out for a bite of food either for themselves or their kids (dad died fighting for the Dragon) from wealthier men, especially since RJ already makes a point to portray the Randland nobles and merchants with a less than flattering moral compass.

I think he was talking about organized prostitution. Obviously there are people who use sex in return for money or other goods, but that holds true for men as well as women. Afterall Mat's stint as Tylin's pretty wasn't all that different in principle I'd say.

Also, RJ just wrote a "cleaner" sort of fantasy than GRRM or most of the younger generation of fantasy authors do. In the 57 years since LotR the fantasy genre has become more and more realistic. Where Tolkien wrote in a very idealized manner, nowadays people demand realism in a fantastic setting and RJ was somewhere in the middle of this development. Thus the absence of or atleast the disguised portrayal of things like rape or torture on page. He acknoledged their existence, but instead of showing them he chose to tell us about them.

Guest PiotrekS

It is really hard to match GRRM in detailed descriptions of torture. What he did to "Reek" in his last book was disgusting.

I haven't read Conan, i admit. I would like to, but it's not the first position on my "to-read" list.

It is really hard to match GRRM in detailed descriptions of torture. What he did to "Reek" in his last book was disgusting.

The descriptions werent that detailed. They were second hand, there wasn't any description of the actual torure. I definately prefer it over the stuff laurell k hamilton writes. Comparing jordan to her would be like comparing ghandi to hitler

The descriptions werent that detailed. They were second hand, there wasn't any description of the actual torure. I definately prefer it over the stuff laurell k hamilton writes. Comparing jordan to her would be like comparing ghandi to hitler

I'm not sure the difference is too far-fetched. Ghandhi much like Hitler both like animals and both were racist to the core and strong proponents of segregationism:

Why, of all places in Johannesburg, the Indian Location should be chosen for

dumping down all the Kaffirs of the town passes my comprehension…the Town

Council must withdraw the Kaffirs from the Location.” (Reference: CWMG, Vol I, pp. 244-245)

His description of black inmates: “Only a degree removed from the animal.” Also,

“Kaffirs are as a rule uncivilized – the convicts even more so. They are troublesome,

very dirty and live almost like animals.” – Mar. 7, 1908 (Reference: CWMG, Vol VIII, pp. 135-136)

On his opinion on South African politics and his support for white colonial supremacy over uncultured natives. Gandhi let out this gem;

"We believe as much in the purity of race as we think they do, only we believe that they would best serve these interests, which are as dear to us as to them, by advocating the purity of all races, and not one alone. We believe also that the white race of South Africa should be the predominating race." September 24, 1903

Or on his chagrin at Indians compared to "Kaffirs (South African term for "n*gger");

"Ours is one continued struggle against degradation sought to be inflicted upon us by the European, who desire to degrade us to the level of the raw Kaffir, whose occupation is hunting and whose sole ambition is to collect a certain number of cattle to buy a wife with, and then pass his life in indolence and nakedness." (1) 26 September 1896

Gandhi wrote extensively about his experiences with the blacks of South Africa. He always termed them “Kaffirs” and his writings reveal a deep-seated disdain for these African natives.

Guest PiotrekS

New heights in off-topicism have just been reached. We've discussed lesbians and gay men in WOT, prostitution and/or negotiable affection, tortures in fantasy - and now the new gem, Hitler-Ghandi comparison!

So, about the pillowfriends... :tongue:

It is on the other hand weird how Siuan and Moiraine walk away from each other and this relationship, which tended to be very close from what we can gather from New Spring, just ceases to be without any kind of...Anything. Some people has criticized RJ for treating Siuan's and Moiraine's relatinship not seriously enough, in "lesbian until graduation" kind of way. But who knows how this relationships really work? Certainly not me :wink:

Considering New Spring:

The Moiraine/Siuan relationship wasn't exactly treated badly, but compared to other relationships it was not done as well as we have come to expect from RJ.

Part of the problem is New Spring. The ending was way too short. After Moiraine kills Merean (brave badass Moiraine at her best :wub: ) everything just apruptly ends. Moiraine and Siuan's goodbye is barely mentioned and practically on the next page she bonds Lan and its over. NS suffers because of that abrupt ending. I'm not sure if he did it that way because he expected to follow up with a sequel shortly (but later they were put on hold) or that he was pushed to work on the main series. But that fact is unfortunate both for NS and for Moiraine/Siuan.

Archived