DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Zelda Skyward Sword

Red2111

so i wasn't going to do it, but i gave in last night while window shopping at Gamestop.

i've pre-ordered the special edition for this game, which comes with

- Game

- Map

- Soundtrack

- tri-force Wii remote.

i got this package for the Wii remote, as my two don't have the Motion plus.

though i have to admit, i'm pretty sycked about getting a zelda sountrack as well!!! i just hope they have a bonus trak with the overworld theme from LttP on it, cause that is by far the BEST track out of all the games

• 3 weeks later...

so no ones playingthis?!?! ya'll are missing out on a good game *nods*

so i have 5 hours logged right now; and i'm about to enter the first temple. the graphics are abotu the same as Twilight Princess, though imo it's still a bit to cartoonish (though not as bad as WW). the controls are very similar to those of Twilight princess, a few of the sword moves have been altered but for someone jumping from one game to the next i dont see a problem.

controlling the bird is easy and natural, i do notice a slight delay in the bird getting lift though. the addition of the stamina gauge is something i'm meh about. on the one hand, it makes Zelda feel more liek an RPG rather than action RPG, on the other hand i can see this portion of the game causing trouble later on. the main issue i have is the camera, it stays fixed over head for the most part and doesn't turn with the character; instead you have to use the target button as a way to snap the camera in the direction link is looking; which causes the screen to be jumpy and the movement isn't natural at all.

the other thing is theres a very Sims-esque feel to the NPC interactions, i dunno if this is good or bad right now.

as i've just really started the game, i can't really say whether it's my favorite release this year (as of yet thats still Arkham City) so i'll post more once i fight my first boss battle, or get stuck, which ever comes first.

that said, on a first look basis, if your a Zelda fan go ahead and ge the game cause you wont be disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...

I played for about 50 hours over my thanksgiving break (and only got about halfway, but that's because I stop and look at every. single. darned. thing. Eh. It's the way I play any zelda game.)

I'd rather have TP styled graphics, but the Wii can't handle it really. That' why we have what we do, and I'll tell you, they made some damn beautiful things out of it.

I've heard some complaint about the WMP, but I didn't have a lick of problem. Game did what I wanted, and when it didn't it was my own fault. (which was fairly rare)

Final boss was too easy. Story explaining why Link and Zelda incarnations keep being reborn was great. Keep a close eye on the early stages of the game and you can piece together the hints and predict some of the later game twists. (Not complaining. That's why I look at everything, piecing the story together before it happens, and general speculative lore between games and such). Called the Hylia thing. But that was pretty easy to work out. I had that one figured out within the first hour or so.

I can see why they hyped it as an OoT replacer as best zelda game. (Although the notalgia for OoT/MM are not going to be replacable for anyone how loved those as they came out.)

I did lament the lack of ability to skip repetative text (minigames). some of the talking in the beginning seemed to lag on, but it' there for new players, not old ones. (And you can't skip quickly through that text either >.<)

I don't mind the camera thing. Like I said, I like to look at things, I use that camera a lot in any zelda game. I actually prefer the manual-ish camera because I can place it as I see fit, I don't like the "follow-behind-my-head" thing that a lot of games do. I was Meh about the stamina gauge to begin with, but it adds to/was designed for the puzzles. It was well implemented, I kinda wish they'd done even more with it (and don't mis-read that, they did a LOT with it). I jut got used to it and even enjoyed it.

Also had good use of early game weapons in the late game... most zeldas fail at that. Although *pet peeve* they need to stop adding in the slingshot. forever. most useless item ever. everytime. you always end up with about 3 other items that can do what the slingshot can but better. (At least the upgrade system made this incarnation more useful for stunning enemies).

Speaking of the upgrade system: items are easy enough to come by over the course of the game, except for Dusk Relics which are a limited time offer. You can't go back for any you don't get, and quite a few items require dusk relics for one tier upgrade or another. That said, if you take the time to get a few each time you're in the right area/at the right time, you should be fine. The game provides the information on when/where, if you take the time to use your environment. Not too big a deal.

I loved it, but I've loved all the console zeldas, so go figure. Explained the upsidedown triforce looking piece ont the OoT Hylian Shield (the one that noobs think is the "tetraforce"--it's not. now I have proof. As if several makers of the game hadn't already explicitly stated that it wasn't, long before this game.)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived