DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand and the True Power

grump

Here's a question. We know Rand didn't use the True Power, but how can we say for sure that he didn't see the saa as a result of his link with Moridin? I'm not saying he did or didn't, but as we must make an assumption either way until one is confirmed, what evidence is there to rule out the saa? Also, Rand seeing something is not evidence against - Moridin sees them (they are visible from inside and out) but they don't interfere with his vision. Although the fireball is the most likely cause...

But if the problem was simply from the fireball, why can't Nynny fix it? Seems like that would be fairly easy to do for her.

Allow me quote Nynaeve's own assessment:

"There's something wrong with your eyes," she said with a frown. "I'm afraid to try fixing that without studying on it. The smallest mistake could blind you."

Knife of Dreams, A Plain Wooden Box, p. 591

In other words, Zardi is exactly right. The problem is one Nynaeve has never encountered, and in a does of realism, RJ didn't let her just figure this one out instinctively.

Interestingly, Min has had a viewing of Rand with a beggar's staff (TEoTW, Ch. 15) and Perrin had a wolf dream in which he saw Rand wearing rags and a rough cloak, with a bandage covering his eyes (TSR, ch.53). The Fisher piece in shah'rah (TPoD, prolgue), has not only a bleeding wound in his side, but a bandage covering his eyes.

I think the more serious wound that Rand recieved from Semirhage is what happened to his eyes, as it seems he will eventually go blind. That would certainly affect his ability to channel much more than losing his hand would.

No please, wait, I asked a question that might help, can someone (coughmajcough) say when was the last time Nynaeve probbed Rand before they fought Semirhage?

Sometime between Nyn returning to full health after the Cleansing and the delving she does after rand became stumpy. My version of KOD is on vacation with a friend, so I can't check it.

it's irrelevant though, Rand saw black spots because he had a fireball explode just in front of them, they are damaged from being exposed to bright light. And as if that was not enough, he probably hit his head when he fell of the horse as well.

It is not the saa. Rand has never channeled TP. Period.

Archived