DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A new Breaking?

Southpaw89

Will Rand cause another breaking of the world at the end of AMOL? The reason I'm wondering is some of the quotes in the beginning of a few of the books are from the 4th age and from cities we didn't hear of in the books (meaning it may have been from a city we know of now with a different name).

The books seem to imply another Breaking during Tarmon Gaidon. Part directly done by Rand, part done by Light-sided channelers, part done by Dark-sided channelers, part done by other channelers.

Another Breaking at the very end of main series; not sure.

I hope for either of these endings::

-births of Rand's children (both the twins and the quadruplets)

-Rand's post-TG death

Whichever comes later.

Edit:: The new place names could be almost anything.

-renames of current places

-constructions of previously uninhibited areas

-additions of current places

Personally, I don't see it. The first breaking was caused by:

1. Only male AS sealing the bore, and thus getting Saidin tainted by the DO's backlash.

2. As hundreds of insane (fully trained and very powerful) AS went crazy at roughly the same time, they broke the world.

This time, Rand's plan is:

1. Make sure saidar is used in conjunction with saidin to seal the bore, thus preventing a backlash.

2. If there is a backlash, the current AS/Asha'man do not know the same weaves as the AoL AS. Right now, only a handful know of balefire, while in AoL, most did.

Also, Aviendha's future vision did not include a breaking, just a seanchan conquest of randland. Also, it appears that channelers do not go crazy after TG.

Caemlin might not be the only city being attacked by the Shadow and those other cities might not survive such an attack. New cities would eventually be built or small towns which we've never even heard of might grow & eventually become cities.

The breaking mentioned in the books has already happened. Nations have sworn allegiance to a foreign leader, Local customs are probably changing rapidly thanks to migrations (like the migration into the Two Rivers), former enemies are now (reluctant) allies (Tear an Illian, for example). Not a single nation has been left untouched.

Will Rand cause another breaking of the world at the end of AMOL?

there is nothing in the book to suggest another breaking. The prophecies speak of the Dragon breaking nations and so on but that has already happened/is happening. None of them speak of any breaking like the one that happened at the end of AoL.

The reason I'm wondering is some of the quotes in the beginning of a few of the books are from the 4th age and from cities we didn't hear of in the books (meaning it may have been from a city we know of now with a different name).

That is only natural. City names change over length of time and no breaking of the world is required for that. This happens constantly in real world and in the world of WoT. We are often told that a lot of nations that were created after the breaking have disappeared and a lot of city names changed.

This will surely continue to happen naturally as time goes by. Cairhien was once called Al'cair'rahienallen. LoC prologue quotes a chant from a children’s game

heard in Great Arvalon in the Fourth Age. Great Arvalon is surely future Tar Valon whose name simply evolved overtime.

As long as Tar Valon gets destroyed I don't care..and as the current age with Tar Valon as the major power is ending, I am hopefully the inevitable decline of the female AS has began. For the wheel to be balanced there has be an age with the male channelers dominant,hopefully that is the coming age.

if time remains circular, how is another breaking avoided?

Like how every other bad thing in history is avoided: studying history. :)

that would be wonderful if it was true, but even in the short term in the real world, sadly, it isn't. um, wait, that was sarcasm, wasn't it? sorry, i miss that a lot, especially in print. :unsure:

in WOT terms, the breakings appear to be so far apart in time that there is no history to study, just mythical remnants.

but i think the answer about it probably not happening at the end of this age may be true. i won't be convinced till it's written, but that makes sense.

In the book, Rand studies history to avoid making the same mistake as LTT in sealing the Bore.

It happens in real life too, for example after WWI, the winners created such an onerous series of requirements that would keep Germany virtual slaves for hundreds of years. The German peoples' outcry was what gave rise to Hitler and the Nazi Party (he was elected actually) and caused WW2. After this, the Allies decided that the best way to treat a defeated enemy was to help them rebuild, which is what they did with Germany and Japan after WW2, and South Korea after the Korean War.

why does everything turn into nazi chat around here? don't bother answering that, i'm just talking to myself.

and that's my cue to exit, but before i do, just have to say - history goes farther back than WWI, and prehistory even farther, and the same mistakes we've always made we continue to make, if you can call genocide and nuclear and biological weapons, and death from above, and other atrocities mistakes, and wars will continue to happen, and world wars will happen again, and in a few dozen or hundred or thousand or hundred thousand years, noone will remember anything about yesterday or today or tomorrow. but it won't take anywhere near that long for people to make the same mistakes, no matter how much history they study. people are people. this is what people do. not that you shouldn't study history, in fact, you should study it a lot more. just that, oh, nevermind.

anyway, yeah, done with nazi chat. sigh.

Archived