DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Crossing the Bridge

Korryn Wynn

Korryn Wynn pushed back the cap on his head as he crossed the bridge from Alindaer onto the island of Tar Valon itself. Commander Chakreem had warned him that he'd be awed by the beauty of the White Tower, pushing itself up from the island like a spear jutting into the sky. She had sounded slightly, well, perturbed by the White Tower. Not it's inhabitants, just the structure itself. But that was actually common for folk from Whitebridge. When your town is named after an artifact of the Age of Legends, it seeps into you and you find yourself strangely jealous of other relics of the long past age.

But Korryn didn't see a rival to his home's namesake. In fact, the sight of the White Tower filled him with hope. He didn't even really see a structure when he looked at it. The White Tower was a symbol. A sign that people with power were fighting the Dark One. When the restlessness in his bones had gotten too much, when he had felt driven to leave the Whitebridge Militia and find a way to join the fight against the Shadow, there had never been any doubt as to where he would go. Tar Valon must be the rallying point for any who wanted to serve in the Last Battle, Korryn thought. He had toyed with the idea of stopping in Caemlyn and trying to find a position there. His service in the Whitebridge militia might have been recognized and he wouldn't have had to start from scratch again. But even with the Daughter-Heir's, or, rather, the Queen's offer of service (it still took some getting used to, thinking of "Good Queen Elayne"), he had only dallied for a few days in the capital, mainly taking the chance for free lodging during the celebration of the Queen Mother's return. If the rumors were to be believed, it was something straight from a gleeman's tale, with Queen Morgase dodging Whitecloaks, Dragonsworn, and worse on her way back to Caemlyn.

No, Tar Valon was where he was headed. He might not have time to rise far in the ranks before Tarmon Gai'don, though his years of service in the Whitebridge Militia should help, but he would do what was needed, whether that be watching the streets or fighting beside Aes Sedai at the Last Battle. Shaking his head and stepping quickly to get out of the way of a team of oxen, pulling a cart packed with building materials across the bridge, Korryn took the last steps of his journey to Tar Valon. As he stepped off the bridge, he felt a deep sense of satisfaction. It was only a small part of the journey he eventually hoped to take, but it was done, and well done at that. Commander Chakreem's advice rung in his mind, and Korryn headed off to find the Master-at-Arms. Challenges he could not even anticipate lay ahead of him, and Korryn was eager to get started.

Greetings! I'm a long time WoT fan (really long time - my brother introduced me to the first novel back in 1995!) and I've known of Dragonmount for a while. I was fairly active over at WoTMUD for years and actually ran a small clan there for, as you probably guessed, the Whitebridge Militia. I didn't start the clan, but the friend that got me started on WoTMUD was a member and after I joined and the old leadership started migrating away, he and I took it on ourselves to run things. We had a 20+ strong membership that was on frequently and even revived roleplaying sessions and story telling on the forums through the use of in-character quest rewards. Probably my most rewarding experience on WoTMUD was setting up a multi-clan in-game RP event with the Queen's Guard and the Wisdoms that drew several dozen people for several nights of RPing.

I haven't been in WotMUD for years now and had let my fiction writing die down a bit as well. I'm looking forward to using Dragonmount as a place to do some short fiction writing in a setting that I know and love. I've read all of the books, multiple times, and since book seven, I've reread the entire series every time a new book has come out. I recently got the audiobooks and have been listening to them on my way in and home from work and that got me excited about them again. So I just finished (literally less than an hour ago) rereading 12 & 13, just to catch up on the wonderful newness of the Jordan/Sanderson duo.

Well, I think that's about it. I'll be looking for chances to do a little in-character writing and might spend a bit of time in the creative/RP forums, however they are structured, putting together some short fiction.

I look forward to getting to know some of you!

Beautiful writing! Welcome to DM, Korryn :biggrin:

I hope we see you over at the RP side (structured), but you might also enjoy the less structured Turnings of the Wheel RP: Revolution One.

If you have any questions, fire away.

Archived