DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

RJ's characters

cgarcia9

The answer I found most interesting at the linked site was this:

Is the gift the Aes Sedai get from the bonding the ability to take or drain energy from their warder for their own use?

That is one of the gifts. She can draw as much strength as she needs. As a matter of fact, she could take it all. In other words, she could kill him.

We know Alanna tried to compell Rand with the bond, and couldn't. But can she draw strength from him? Could she take it all? I don't think we know for sure.

Right, I think that's obvious. That doesn't mean the measure time the same way. No logical division of the Earth's natural calanedar would result in a base-10 week, for example.

And do the days even have names in WoT?

Maybe instead of describing yet another dress and/or rounded bosom, Jordan could have answered some of these sorts of questions.

What I have found regarding time. Supposedly it is 13 months with 28 days. So 364 days. Over 20 years, you lose 25-ish of our days. No real noticeable difference

Right, I think that's obvious. That doesn't mean the measure time the same way. No logical division of the Earth's natural calanedar would result in a base-10 week, for example.

And do the days even have names in WoT?

Maybe instead of describing yet another dress and/or rounded bosom, Jordan could have answered some of these sorts of questions.

What I have found regarding time. Supposedly it is 13 months with 28 days. So 364 days. Over 20 years, you lose 25-ish of our days. No real noticeable difference

OK, interesting. And I see at the link that there are apparently contradictory references to the length of a week. With a 28 day month, a 10 day week makes no sense at all.

So, how long is a day?

thanks for the link, Smittyphi.

i don't think there was a leftover day - i think it was sunday or some other holiday. it's just kind of a lunar solar calendar. the extra day keeps it on season. perhaps he threw in the 10 day week to be metric, or to hint that life was so much harder, the week to weekend ratio was altered. um, probably not that. but as weeks don't divide evenly into months in our calendar, it doesn't seem unreasonable that WOT weeks don't "fit" WOT months, either.

From the Glossary:

Calendar: There are 10 days to the week, 28 days to the month and 13 months to the year. Several feast days are not part of any month; these include Sunday (the longest day of the year), the Feast of Thanksgiving (once every four years at the spring equinox), and the Feast of All Souls Salvation, also called All Souls Day (once every ten years at the autumn equinox).

So the WoT year is as basically as long as the years in our calendar (28 x 13 = 364, add Sunday and it's 365 days, they also have their version of 29 th of February in a leap year with the Feast of Thanksgiving).

Elayne's scenes up through Lord of Chaos did not (and do not) give me the impression of she wanting the world to bend to her will. Her scenes after that book do not either.

Archived