DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Need advice (belgrigad, ASOIAF and name of wind)

NitroS

Hello just thinking of starting a new series i havent read a song of ice and fire or the belrigard (sp) series or the name of wind and i own them all so was wondering what you thought of these books and what i should start on, ive only read 3 series before this in twilight, harry potter and WOT.

Also has anyone read mistborn and way of kings like to comment on them comparing to WOT

thanks alot.

All three of them are amazing. They are all part of my top ten. The new ASoIaF book is coming out in July, and though that's my most favorite series, I'd probably leave that series for last as it will take the writer awhile to come up with a new one. So I would recommend probably The Belgariad first, being as it's done, Book 1 & 2 of The Kingkiller Chronicles (Name of the Wind/Wise Man's Fear), and then finish it up with ASoIaF.

Also I have read Mistborn and it was really good. I wouldn't really compare it to WoT, I think Brandon did an amazing job on TGS and ToM but he went off of notes and such so I don't think they should be compared.

I liked the DarkOver series, Marion Zimmer Bradley has written them. Several books in a fantasy/sci fi setting with psi abilities and such. There are alot of books in that series, Ive read Stormqueen, Two to Conquer and Hawkmistress. Check them out =) They are old but nontheless good.

Way of Kings was fantastic. It will probably rival the Wheel of Time by thetime it nears completion.

As far as top ten goes, I'll give you my top 15. No order though. Hard to choose which ones are better(WoT is obviously #1)

The Wheel of Time Robert Jordan

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn Tad Williams

The Lord of the Rings(plus Silmarillion and Hobbit) JRR Tolkein

The Chronicles of Narnia CS Lewis

Harry Potter JK Rowling

Inheritance Christopher Paolini(sp)

A Song of Ice and Fire George Martin

The Malazan Book of The Fallen Steven Erikson

Shannara(the complete works) Terry Brooks

Mistborn Brandon Sanderson

The Sword of Truth Terry Goodkind

The Belgariad/Mallorean(same characters;continuation of story) David Eddings

The Elenium/Tamuli (same characters;continuation of story) David Eddings

The Winter of the World (the first three books) Michael Scott Rohan

Dragon Prince/Dragon Star (two trilogies can be read as one series) Melanie Rawn

These are series only. There are plenty of stand alone out there that are worth a read as well. I'll list just a few I enjoyed

Warbreaker Brandon Sanderson

Mists of Avalon Marion Zimmer Bradley

Belgarath the Sorcerer David Eddings

Polgara the Sorceress David Eddings (Granted these last two are related to the Belgariad and Mallorean Series listed above but they are seperate)

Elantris Brandon Sanderson

Hope this is usefull.

Nitro, you should also try the Percy Jackson series by Rick Roidan. if you enjoyed Twilight & HP, you'll enjoy those boks as well. also the Narnia Series if you haven't read those yet.

Mistborn and the Way of Kings are excellent. Can't really compare them to WOT though, as they are very, very different.

A warning though, the Way of Kings is just over a thousand pages, and Sanderson says it's the first of a ten book series. So yeah. You're gonna have a lot of book, and a lot of waiting, before that one is done.

Mistborn though, that's a completed work. It's also an excellent one. A great world, great characters, and possibly the best magic systems I've ever heard of (certainly the most detailed).

Archived