DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Vote] Originals vs. Covers - which do you prefer? (Current Vote: Songs 191 and 192)

Corki

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While my internet is playing nicely, touch wood *touches wood* I will get this moving on.

And Fleetwood Mac's original wins by 5 votes to 1, with 1 undecided voter.

Time to get the next song up.

Song 91: Denis(e)

The latest "Original vs. Cover" was one of the missing songs from the recent Blondie gig I attended. It features as the cover, with the original by Randy & the Rainbows.

ORIGINAL: Randy & the Rainbows

Denise was released by Randy & the Rainbows in 1963, hitting #18 on the US Black Singles chart and #10 on the Billboard Hot 100 that year. Randy & the Rainbows are a Doo Wop group from New York, featuring two pairs of siblings and a fifth member.

vs.

COVER: Blondie

Denis came off Blondie's second album, Plastic Letters, and was released in February 1978. The song peaked at number 2 in the UK charts, and did score number 1 success in Europe. The song helped Blonide break into the international market. Despite Chrysalis wanting the grammatically correct French, Debbie Harry stood her ground and the "pidgin French" lyric version was released.

Voting ends Thursday 8th July 2010 at 10pm (BST)

Song 92: War Pigs

Next up is an anti-war song from British heavy metal group, Black Sabbath, and the cover by American psychedelic rock group, The Flaming Lips. I did nearly choose a medieval version in Latin by Estonian group, Rondellus.

ORIGINAL: Black Sabbath

It was written in 1970 as an anti-war song in protest to the Vietnam. The song was originally titled Walpurgis (dealing with a witches' sabbath), but got changed during the recording of the song for the Paranoid album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbxfe7DMxVo

vs.

COVER: The Flaming Lips

The Flaming Lips are really quite an eccentric group, but I really want to see them! They covered the Black Sabbath song as part of the "iTunes Originals" sessions, and have performed it at multiple concerts. The recording below comes from the BBC music show Later with Jools Holland.

Voting ends Monday 12th July 2010 at 10pm (BST)

Well, a close 2-1 victory for the cover.

I plan to get the next two "Original vs. Cover" up to last the weekend, and maybe Jea will post something on Monday as I will be away with work until Wednesday.

If you did Monday, that would mean you would qualify for a promotion point for hosting a week (i.e. 2) of "Original vs. Cover", as you only did half a week. You have the weekend to PM me with your idea.

Song 93: American Pie

Song 93 sees a song I am surprised I haven't used yet, and is also a popular song to cover. It sees Don McLean's folk song American Pie up against the cover Madonna released nearly a decade ago.

ORIGINAL: Don McLean

McLean's original is quite a lengthy affair at nearly 9 minutes long. It was released in 1972 and was a number 1 hit in the US. The song recounts of "The Day the Music Died" — the 1959 plane crash that killed Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper (Jiles Perry Richardson, Jr.). Despite this, direct references are quite difficult to find.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNdEu9s5qUU

vs.

COVER: Madonna

Of the many covers, I have opted for Madonna's version from 2000. It was used to promote the soundtrack to her film The Next Best Thing. It is not as long, as Madonna uses verses 1, 2 and 6 only. McLean's was a folk version, while Madonna chose her traditional pop-dance feel of music. Don McLean himself praised the cover, saying it was "a gift from a goddess", and that her version is "mystical and sensual".

Voting ends Monday 19th July 2010 at 10pm (BST)

Song 94: Somebody To Love

The next songs sees the original and cover have the same vocalist - but when she was in different bands. The vocalist is Grace Slick, the original is by The Great Society, the cover by Jefferson Airplane, and the song is Somebody To Love.

ORIGINAL: Great Society

The original was written by guitarist Darby Slick. It was first performed by the band when they included Slick's sister-in-law, Grace. The song made little impact outside of the Bay Area of San Francisco. It was released as a single in 1966, but received little airplay.

vs.

COVER: Jefferson Airplane

When Grace Slick left Great Society and joined Jefferson Airplane, she took the song with her. The cover is a more ferocious rock and roll version, and became Jefferson Airplane's first and biggest hit - it reached number 5 on the US Billboard. This version also appears in many films and TV programmes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIkoSPqjaU4

Voting ends Monday 19th July 2010 at 10pm (BST)

Archived