DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Vote] Originals vs. Covers - which do you prefer? (Current Vote: Songs 191 and 192)

Corki

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Song 83: Sabre Dance

And here is another cover of a piece of Classical Music. It is a more recent piece, but has been very popular over the years. And the cover is by Skyclad, an Englsih heavy metal group. The piece is the Sabre Dance, composed by Aram Khachaturian.

ORIGINAL: Aram Khachaturian

Completed in 1942, The Sabre Dance is a movement in the final act of the Armenian composer Aram Khachaturian's ballet Gayane. It evokes a whirling war dance in an Armenian dance, where the dancers display their skill with sabres. The timpani and strings can be heard throughout, with the upper woodwinds and keyboard percussion take an exciting dance melody, later accompanied by the low brass. It is a very action packed piece of music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8rTi8avsFY

vs.

COVER: Skyclad

There have been many covers of The Sabre Dance over the years, but I have picked the version by British heavy metal band, Skyclad. The group are considered one of the pioneers of folk metal. Formed in 1990, the band are very unknown in English speaking parts of the world, but are popular across mainland Europe and South America. The cover comes from the group's 1996 album Irrational Anthems.

Voting ends Thursday 20th May 2010 at 10pm (BST)

A 2-1 win for the original.

I apologise for the delay in getting up the last one, but life is quite busy for me at the moment. I hope I can get two up now.

Song 84: Boléro

The next song sees a full orchestra go up against 1 electric cello in a performance of Boléro.

ORIGINAL: Maurice Ravel

Ravel composed the one movement piece of music, which was originally meant as a ballet. Since then, Boléro has become Ravel's most famous piece of music. It was composed for a large orchestra, and each part of the movement brings in all the instruments of the orchestra.

vs.

COVER: Stringfever

According to their website, Sringfever are your thing "if you’re looking for an evening's entertainment like you’ve never seen before". They call themselves "the world's first genetically modified string quartet" and "combine exceptional musical skill with a real talent for involving and engaging audiences to provide you with a night you’ll never forget". As the video shows, they are quite imaginative with their playing!

Voting ends Thursday 27th May 2010 at 10pm (BST)

Song 85: Maria Magalena

And our next song allows me to introduce the start of Eurovision Song Contest Week here at the Band of the Red Hand. It sees the Croatian entry from 1999 and a cover by a man who has been behind a few songs, including the 2008 entry for Ukraine.

ORIGINAL: Doris Dragović

Doris has represented both Yugoslavia and Croatia in Eurovision, finishing 11th and 4th respectively. Her 1999 entry for Croatia won 118 points, before Eurovision scores went crazy! This song is a love ballad, and did cause a bit of controversy - which is very Eurovison! It emerged that Dragović used offstage accompaniment (i.e. vocals by a male voice choir not on stage), so Croatia were docked points, but it was too late for the live show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCO1UYUpJeI

vs.

COVER: Philipp Kirkorov

He is a Bulgarian singer and producer, who focuses on generic Russian pop music with occasional Western influences. It is quite normal to see him recording duets with fellow singers in this field. He has been involved in quite a few entries, including the 2008 entry for the Ukraine and Sweden's 2009 entry. He represented Russia in 1995 in Dublin.

Voting ends Thursday 27th May 2010 at 10pm (BST)

• 2 weeks later...

For Song 84 we have a 2-2 tie, but song 85 takes victory with the Original at 3-1!

I have one song I will be able to use and I am providing a week that is up for grabs if someone has a song they would like to present--please send me a PM and let me know!

SONG 86: Hijo De La Luna

ORIGINAL:Mecano

A Spanish sensation, Mecano released this beautiful flowing song. It talks of a young woman who, in desperation for a child, begs the moon for a child. In response, the moon demands that the child has its color, despite the dark-skinned complexion of both the woman and her husband.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp7gEo0qKz4

COVER:Stravaganzza

Stravaganzza takes Mecano's melody, keeping in tact but providing a heavier version of the song at a slightly slower pace.

Link:

mmm...I am going for cover.

And on a side note, I will be picking this up again tomorrow. So you have until then to vote for Jea's choice. Then it is back to my awesome/terrible/strange* choices!

* delete as appropriate

Song 87: Match of the Day Theme

All football/soccer fans should instantly recognise this piece of music - it is football all rolled into one! And there is a nice steel drum cover version.

ORIGINAL: Barry Stoller

The current theme was written specially for the show in 1970 by Barry Stoller. It is very recognisable to any football and sports fan in the world. To me in the UK, football isn't football without this music!

vs.

COVER: The Clangers

There isn't much to say about The Clangers apart from the fact they are a steel drum band group. Their version gives a different flavour (distinctly Caribbean) to the theme.

Voting ends Thursday 17th June 2010 at 10pm (BST)

Original of course. Even though they do not send MotD here, they played the theme often enough saturdays when Swedish telly broadcasted English matches, that it is one of thwo songs that really represent football for me. The other being the CL theme.

Archived