DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Vote] Originals vs. Covers - which do you prefer? (Current Vote: Songs 191 and 192)

Corki

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Song 54: Satellite of Love

The next song sees us visit one of the best known solos of The Velvet Underground's Lou Reed, and the cover by The Eurthymics.

ORIGINAL: Lou Reed

Released in 1973, this was the second single from Lou Reed's 1972 album Transformers. However, it was recorded and played in concerts by the Velvet Underground, but never made it on to an album. It didn't achieve any chart success, but has become a staple of his concerts and compilation albums. David Bowie, who produced the album, can be heard providing background vocals.

vs.

COVER: The Eurythmics

Covered in 1983, the Eurythmics give the song a make-over, giving the song a bit of cheer with the electronics, but the sombre sound of the original is still apparent. It released it on a free cassette with the "Right by Your Side" 12" single.

Voting ends Monday 1st February 2010 at 11pm (GMT)

Right...I am finishing this early to allow Imperium the time to set up the next song up for vote in "Original vs. Cover".

Therefore, The Eurythmics gained a victory for Covers with a hard fought 3-2 victory.

All over to you, Impy - check your inbox for a PM!

Song 55: Shout

Not the one Corki was expecting as I hit a snag but I am going to start with Tears for Fears Shout as the original. There have been many covers of this but I will be using Disturbed's Shout 2000 as the cover.

ORIGINAL: Tears for Fears

Released in 1984 in the UK (1985 in US), Shout was Tears for Fears eighth single. Peaking at 4 in the UK chart and 1 in the US. Shout eventually went on to reach the Top Ten in 25 countries.

vs.

COVER: Disturbed

Covered in 2000 (obviously), Shout 2000 was released on Disturbed's 'The Sickness" album. The cover is obviously more rock/metal than the original new wave electro-pop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvULJLIM7V8&feature=fvw

Voting ends Thursday 4th February 2010 at 11pm (GMT)

Song 56: Nothing Else Matters

The next original vs cover is Nothing Else Matters, I originally heard the cover while I was at a restaurant and it took me ages to figure out what the song was.

ORIGINAL: Metallica

The original was released as a single in 1992 and was the fourth single of Metallica's Black Album. Nothing Else Matters highest chart place was 3rd in Norway.

vs.

COVER: Bif Naked

The cover was released as a single in 2005 and was the second single from Bif Naked's Superbeautifulmonster album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpq3s3Z_HUw

Voting ends Monday 8th February 2010 at 11pm (GMT)

Archived