DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

one of the rudest authors i have ever met

peep

From reading RJ's blogs over the years, I would have expected him to be quite friendly.

I recall going to a book signing for George RR Martin a few years ago (long before HBO ever came calling), fully expecting to have my copy of Game of Thrones either rejected (he was there to sign his latest Wild Cards entry) or snubbed by another egotistical full of himself author. Instead, I met one of the most approachable writers I think I've ever met. He was actually pleased to sign my Game of Thrones, asked me which character I liked the most (Tyrion of course) and signed my copy "For The Imp in Us All GRRMartin", and jokingly mentioned that he had written a sequel if I ever wanted to check that out. When I told him I had read them all, several times, he actually thanked for not bugging him about Dance With Dragons. He was kind of a cross between a hobbit and the bass player from ZZTop. And BTW - there were easily 300 people in line that evening.

thats interesting about GRRM High. him & Brandon are two authors right now i definatley would love to meet one day *nods*

i also have to agree with UGA, excpet

had a interpreter talk for him like a eanchan high blood.

acutlaly, i woudl have found this rather funny if RJ had done it. WOOT on self promotion!!! think of how that might have went over at Jordan Con one year *grins*

nothing speaking about Jordan himself; i just personally think it woudl be awesome for an author to embrace and even make fun of their own characters odd customs. maybe even turn it into a skit *nods*

the sex jokes and the part about how the series wouldn't continue if he were to die should be on record.

Both have been on record for many years, in more detail. Have you ever seen the map of Tar Valon? Just saying.

I thought I was imagining things when I first saw the map...lol

@Zentari - Would you mind including the quote that I was responding to in your sig? It's a little tacky to take something out of context like that unless it's something that is obviously a joke. (This isn't.)

I only met RJ once on the Knife of Dreams tour (at Mysterious Galaxy in San Diego). Despite the long line, he and Harriet were quite friendly and sociable, and also grabbed a pic with him. I'm sure RJ was flattered to be in the same frame with me ;)

As someone else on this topic pointed out, everyone has their bad days and I'm sure RJ was no exception. The overall sense I get though is that RJ was relatively cordial.

I definitely second the favorable reviews of Brandon Sanderson. I've met him twice thus far-Comic Con 2010 and Way of Kings signing (also at Mysterious Galaxy). Brandon went out of his way to sign additional books for his fans at the Comic Con signing, at the risk of missing his flight home. He insisted on staying until everyone had their books signed, and had pictures taken with him. A true gentleman, not to mention a hell of a writer as well.

@Zentari - Would you mind including the quote that I was responding to in your sig? It's a little tacky to take something out of context like that unless it's something that is obviously a joke. (This isn't.)

I'll do so.You could have used the pm system to tell me so though.

the sex jokes and the part about how the series wouldn't continue if he were to die should be on record.

Both have been on record for many years, in more detail. Have you ever seen the map of Tar Valon? Just saying.

I thought I was imagining things when I first saw the map...lol

You and me both....

From reading RJ's blogs over the years, I would have expected him to be quite friendly.

I recall going to a book signing for George RR Martin a few years ago (long before HBO ever came calling), fully expecting to have my copy of Game of Thrones either rejected (he was there to sign his latest Wild Cards entry) or snubbed by another egotistical full of himself author. Instead, I met one of the most approachable writers I think I've ever met. He was actually pleased to sign my Game of Thrones, asked me which character I liked the most (Tyrion of course) and signed my copy "For The Imp in Us All GRRMartin", and jokingly mentioned that he had written a sequel if I ever wanted to check that out. When I told him I had read them all, several times, he actually thanked for not bugging him about Dance With Dragons. He was kind of a cross between a hobbit and the bass player from ZZTop. And BTW - there were easily 300 people in line that evening.

I'm glad you got to see GRRM. I too saw him shortly after a Feast for Crows came out. It was in the Village in Manhattan.

It was in either a B&N or a Borders (forget which), in the thinnest bookstore I've ever been; from the street, it was probably only like 10-15 meters wide, but it was very deep. The line snaked around through just about every book section in the store, both levels.

I mention this because there was no way to actually see him when he did his pre-signing reading. I think i was standing between two steps next to the art books section, craning my neck to hear better. Sure, it was kind of disappointing at first, but he has this way about him ... i would have been happy hearing him read stuff he wrote that day if i was in a janitor's closet. It was just pitch perfect.

There's no way to describe it other to say that he truly loves his fans. You could tell from the smile on his face, the way it traveled to every person leaving the line with their signed book.

When i got closer to him, he had a slip where we could write our names and what we wanted him to write. They also had stickers at the door if you wanted to bring your own book in instead of buying one there, but we were so early that somehow i didn't get one and freaked out a little. The bookstore people were nice about it and just gave me a sticker. I guess i didn't look the sort who would steal books or ask cutting questions about sports.

I was a little afraid of talking to him, with the Jordan thing and all, but he asked me where i was from, and what i did, and was just a sweet man. My friend who was a new reader of his (and this was his first signing) asked him to put something irreverant/funny in his book, and Martin laughed it up and complied. Despite the line and everything, he gave us 2 minutes of conversation. He realized it was far from Philadelphia and really appreciated us coming there. It was the sort of thing that made me grin stupidly down the road when HBO greenlit him, I was just so happy for him.

This is clearly tangential and I apologize (censor if you'd like), but Philly's mass transit (SEPTA) does not run 24 hours a day, and we got stuck overnight in Trenton, NJ (top ten murder city - but surprisingly few homeless) coming back.

Still, the stars shone bright that night (even over Trenton); i wont forget it.

Top of my author signing wishlist right now is Rothfuss... he just seems fun and nerdcool. Like someone I'd run into at PAX East or Otokon. PLZCMETOPHILLYPAT!

... I hate beeing late to a party...

With the OP heavily censored (there's not much left of it) I find it quite difficult to participate in the discussion... which is what a forum is supposed to be mostly about. I can't judge the censors since I didn't get to read the first post, but I'm really saddened not to be able to participate BECAUSE of censorship.

When I told him I had read them all, several times, he actually thanked for not bugging him about Dance With Dragons.

:smile: I thought to say that's why he was so nice - he knew he wasn't doing his part - and I really don't know how you managed to control yourself. I mean, I'm having a hard time getting excited about it now that it's coming out. But I've heard before that he was nice, though some described him as being foul-mouthed :wink:

With the OP heavily censored (there's not much left of it) I find it quite difficult to participate in the discussion... which is what a forum is supposed to be mostly about. I can't judge the censors since I didn't get to read the first post, but I'm really saddened not to be able to participate BECAUSE of censorship.

Just to be clear, that's not censorship. peep did that on his own. I've seen the original after a paragraph (one that peep claims was important, but just a single paragraph nonetheless) has been removed, and it was much longer than this (I didn't see what he did until you mentioned it). I felt like his point did come across even with that paragraph removed.

PS

Would you guys stop talking about maps of cities? I can't be sure, but I have the nagging feeling that there's something to do with that that I'm desperately trying to forget.

... I hate beeing late to a party...

To be clear, only the paragraph with derogatory comments about Jordan's weight were removed. If you are interested in why, consult our code of conduct, stuck at the top of the Board.

Given the original poster has removed the post which this thread was about, I am locking it.

Archived