DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Halo 3 vs Halo: Reach

ineedfourberfs

Which is better, Halo 3 or Halo: Reach?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Halo 3 or Halo: Reach?

So me and Krak finally had a game of Reach together the other day. So much awesome. We should totally start a clan or some such. Anyway.

Halo 3 or Halo: Reach?

Halo 3 had a lot of things going for it. The conclusion of a story arc that was awesomely epic. The Master Chief. The invention of Equipment, such as the power drainer, bubble shield (How good is the bubble shield?!), the first Forge outing, multiplayer that never, ever, ever quit... The awesomeness weapon that is the Battle Rifle...

Halo: Reach also has a lot of positives. The removal of dual weilding. (Thus a more balanced sandbox). The DMR oh sweet God the DMR. A whole slew of awesome weapons, see grenade launcher, needle rifle, concussion rifle, ROCKET WARTHOG, Multiplayer offerings and tweakable settings out the whazoo... Customizable Spartan! JFO Helmet FTW! Forge times a billion, Abilities, which is essentially equipment squared...And a truly epic campaign that pulls the heartstrings and tells a pretty damn cool story.

So which do you prefer? Why? Whats your favourite aspect of the games?

I personally prefer Reach. TO me, it's just everything great about the entire series rammed onto one disc.

Forge is so much better, with snap to grid and incremental tweaking, plus the game mechanic options are expanded like crazy.

Single player campaign is impressive, and there is no level I dislike, unlike H3 with that unholy flood level at the end. Plus, seeing your own spartan kicking around is really cool.

On that note, the Customizable spartan is awesome. Colours? Pfft, how about whole armour changes... I can get lost in the Armoury, checking out my options, wishing I had so many more credits to spend...

Multiplayer - the voting aspect? brilliant. The ease of which playlists and maps can be updated/added keeps it fresh, and theres always something you feel like playing. Sick of 4v4? Go grifball, rocket race, grab bag...action sack...freakin' skeetball people!

And Firefight. How did I forget this in the the OP? Firefight.

Brilliant.

Plus Reach just looks so damn -crisp- comparitively. I mean it's new code and whatnot sure, so a bit harsh to compare it to 3, but when 3 came out it was marginally better than 2. Not a wholesale quantum leap factor like Reach.

My answer? Reach.

on a side note they have confirmed that there is a Halo 4 in the works. With a cryptic response stating that "Master Chief will be chilling out, literally." This quote is leading many to believe that the next Halo may have a new protagonist with Master Chief in some sort of cryogenic place.

As of now, I'm going to have to go with Halo 3. I just love the simplicity of it. There's no confusing game variations that I have no idea what they mean (Bro Slayer? What the hell are you?). Sure, the whole addition of jetpacks and whatnot is kinda cool at first, but it quickly lends itself to a new level of cheating and bending the rules. Never before did I have to look at every single nook and cranny in the game to check it there's some jetpack sniper camping (and the lack of a killcam a la CoD makes it especially tough).

I also really don't like the graphics changes they did. Grenades now do a ludicrous amount of exploding and I can get killed by one 20 feet away. The other day when I was playing with Berfs I kept getting hit by explosion after explosion (but on the periphery so I didn't die until the 5th or 6th burst) and figured it had to be some sort of brute shot, but no! It was just someone chucking grenades. It was so disorienting and confusing that I had no idea where to turn.

I'm also having a problem killing people. I'll come up to the side of an enemy, shoot him for a good 3 seconds, then melee, he turns melees me twice in rapid succession and I die. First off, HE SHOULD BE DEAD! Secondly, how the holy hell does someone melee that quickly in succession? It's literally microseconds. At least in Halo 3 there was a cooldown time of a second or two which was much nicer. Melee is far too powerful.

I love the assassination stuff, especially in midair. So cool.

But yeah, Halo 3 is superior. The levels, the genius of combat, and the simplicity lend itself to my favor. Reach is overcomplicated and unrealistic. I also hate how you can choose different classes to start with but have no power to customize. The nice thing about Halo 3 was that everyone started the same (I actually enjoyed the frantic rush to the good weapons. it was like dodgeball). I'm also not a big fan of the levels.

ummm, how about Halo 2??

Hands down, the best multiplayer platform of all the Halo's. Sure you didn't have all your nifty equipments and jetpacks and armor packs and whatnot. But honestly, that's what most of us think really killed the Halo experience. They tried to do too much with the game. Halo2 had really the smoothest online multiplayer of any of them, way better replay value, ppl ditched 3 and Reach after very short periods of time, however Halo2 had over 500k ppl playing online all the way until the day Halo3 came out.

As of now, I'm going to have to go with Halo 3. I just love the simplicity of it. There's no confusing game variations that I have no idea what they mean (Bro Slayer? What the hell are you?). Sure, the whole addition of jetpacks and whatnot is kinda cool at first, but it quickly lends itself to a new level of cheating and bending the rules. Never before did I have to look at every single nook and cranny in the game to check it there's some jetpack sniper camping (and the lack of a killcam a la CoD makes it especially tough).

I also really don't like the graphics changes they did. Grenades now do a ludicrous amount of exploding and I can get killed by one 20 feet away. The other day when I was playing with Berfs I kept getting hit by explosion after explosion (but on the periphery so I didn't die until the 5th or 6th burst) and figured it had to be some sort of brute shot, but no! It was just someone chucking grenades. It was so disorienting and confusing that I had no idea where to turn.

I'm also having a problem killing people. I'll come up to the side of an enemy, shoot him for a good 3 seconds, then melee, he turns melees me twice in rapid succession and I die. First off, HE SHOULD BE DEAD! Secondly, how the holy hell does someone melee that quickly in succession? It's literally microseconds. At least in Halo 3 there was a cooldown time of a second or two which was much nicer. Melee is far too powerful.

I love the assassination stuff, especially in midair. So cool.

But yeah, Halo 3 is superior. The levels, the genius of combat, and the simplicity lend itself to my favor. Reach is overcomplicated and unrealistic. I also hate how you can choose different classes to start with but have no power to customize. The nice thing about Halo 3 was that everyone started the same (I actually enjoyed the frantic rush to the good weapons. it was like dodgeball). I'm also not a big fan of the levels.

I thought I saw some DMer's on line the other night I didn't want to butt into your game if you want next time send me an invite. As for the quick melee it's not what you think its a button glich. I had hoped they had fixed it by now but well looks like they didn't. what they did was actually shot you with a pistol and then melee due to they way it's done it is an insta death. (Simular the the Halo 2 button glich.) I agree with the kill Cam that would be a nice add on but then everyone would scream they wre ripping off COD (Not that COD has not Ripped enough off Halo just most fans can't see it.) As for the Grenades I am going to guess that you were inside verses outside as they do have a barrer effect. so if you toss a grenade into a closed space verses a large open space there is a diffrece to the amount of damage that will be delt.

Hit me up next time I'm not the greatest but I know a few tricks and make hella jokes so it is always fun!

ummm, how about Halo 2??

I loved Halo 2, however I preferred the weapons on Halo 3. I probably prefer Halo 2 to Reach as well.

Hit me up next time I'm not the greatest but I know a few tricks and make hella jokes so it is always fun!

Definitely man. I see you a lot, but you're always playing Civilization

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer Halo Reach but in Halo 3 you couldn't cheat as much in the newest one. Which then makes gameplay VERY annoying.

Yes please define the cheating you are experiencing. I know that the button glich is there but anyone can do it so I don't really see that as cheating as much as exploiting.

By the by My RAZER ONZA TOURNAMENT controller is set for delivery tomorrow so I will be on Halo alot for the next little while.

If you don't Know.

Razer 360 Controller

Archived