DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

"The Dark One's Own Luck"

gela1212

maybe the dark one wasn't fond of that particular darkfriend? i don't think darkfriends necessarily would have, or be though to have, the dark one's own luck. they seem to be a dime a dozen for the most part.

and maybe jordancon transcripts aren't the best source, but if RJ really did say : "When they say that Mat has the Dark One's own luck, he can get as mad as he wants to, but in a way it is true," he must have meant something by it?

I agree, it really sounds like RJ was implying something with that comment. Mat's luck is the only 'superpower' in the series that isn't explained, like at all. It's always been chalked up to him just being ta'veren, but then how come the others don't have it? Sure, they're lucky, but certainly not to the same extent. That said, I don't see why the DO would want Mat to be lucky, and as for the Shadar Logoth thing, he seems to have developed his luck only after he was healed of his connection to the dagger. So meh, I dunno. Could still be SL related, I suppose.

in which he was marked by the devil (yup, i know which one; but i think that when the EotW came out, that devil was supposed to be The devil, in case the book turned out to be a one-off deal).
RJ was under a six-book contract at the time. He would need to fail in a big way for it to be a one-off, and I doubt he had that little faith in his abilities.

It's always been chalked up to him just being ta'veren, but then how come the others don't have it?
Actually, Mat's luck is never chalked up purely to ta'veren in series - as late as CoT at the least, if not KoD, he refers to his luck separately from his being ta'veren.
as for the Shadar Logoth thing, he seems to have developed his luck only after he was healed of his connection to the dagger. So meh, I dunno. Could still be SL related, I suppose.
It developed in stages - the first improvement came after he got the dagger, the second after he lost it. SL fits better than anything else, although the why still isn't clear.

Is Fain showing any signs of 'SL luck'?

Possibly the dagger somehow made Mat lucky or enhanced his existing luck, probably while warping it somehow. The healing removed the warping?

I think its Dain Bornhald that refers to Fain having the Dark Ones own luck, and Fain does seem to have this awesome ability to survive (alot of that is from Fains other unique powers, but I thought it was an interesting comment anyway.)

Is Fain showing any signs of 'SL luck'?

Possibly the dagger somehow made Mat lucky or enhanced his existing luck, probably while warping it somehow. The healing removed the warping?

I think its Dain Bornhald that refers to Fain having the Dark Ones own luck, and Fain does seem to have this awesome ability to survive (alot of that is from Fains other unique powers, but I thought it was an interesting comment anyway.)

I've not been able to find that one. Bornhald encounters Ordeith/Fain before the assault on the TR (TSR1), and Bornhald thinks (correctly!) that he is mad.

According to IdealSeek, most of the uses of the phrase are (perhaps not surprisingly) either to or in connection with Mat. But this snippet is interesting:

Burn me, not the Dark One's luck. Not that! Oh, Light, did that bloody dagger really do something to me?

maybe the dark one wasn't fond of that particular darkfriend? i don't think darkfriends necessarily would have, or be though to have, the dark one's own luck. they seem to be a dime a dozen for the most part.

and maybe jordancon transcripts aren't the best source, but if RJ really did say : "When they say that Mat has the Dark One's own luck, he can get as mad as he wants to, but in a way it is true," he must have meant something by it?

Except he rolled the second-best roll every single time he went. And some time before Egwene had a Dream of Mat dicing with the Dark One, and this seems to be it.

Except he rolled the second-best roll every single time he went.

The dice were loaded.

some time before Egwene had a Dream of Mat dicing with the Dark One, and this seems to be it.

That Dream was explained by Mat's competition with Rahvin (the one Mat said Rahvin wasn't aware of).

Archived