DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Reading Wheel of Time

Puny

My girlfriend isn't a particularly avid reader, but she absolutely understands. With this, and all my other book obsessions, I can look at her and say "Sweetie, the new Wheel of Time/Guy Gavriel Kay/Jacqueline Carey is coming out..." She smiles, and we understand that for about 48 hours, she's going to make dinner, do the dishes, and play video games by herself.

When I've finished, I'll be bubbly and chatty and want to talk to her all about it. She listens, asks questions if I give her enough information, and generally enjoys my enthusiasm because she wants me to do things I love. Then I go back to playing video games with her and making her dinner, which I also love. :)

(Didn't mean this to turn into a gush-fest about my girl, but many things in my life end up that way.)

For gf read husband, for new book read Pratchett (DO read Pratchett!!) and for video games read Scrabble, and you could be talking about me.. :wink:

< serious> So, when are you getting married? < /serious>

It took me ages to admit the depth of my WOT obsession to my husband.

I didn´t even need to confess anything, he could tell right away that I was obsessed. Talking about prophecy like twice and twice shall he be marked. And my bf goes, if he is already marked one time why must he be marked a second time, did they do a sloppy marking? And I´m telling him about Logain´s future glory and things like that. Now that I´ve found DM he is really worried lol!

my cats despise anything i read and anything i do on the computer.
From my family owning various cats at various times (1 currently), I would guess that they were actually looking for attention.

Cats do not really despise any human behavior.

you are absolutely right. cats do not despise. mine only love, and as you say, want attention.

After a long time spent trying to get my dad to read it, he's finally started and is absolutely hooked. Now I get to annoy him with all of my strange theories! :biggrin:

None of my friends will read it, but they tolerate it when I don't want to do anything but read the new book, and they actually do know a little about WOT 'cause I'm always obsessing over it.

I wish my dad was hooked :smile: . I also get very... in the zone when I read. So when my family sees I´m reading they usually leave me alone cause if they interrupt me, especially if there´s a really good scene, I get very cranky lol. My bf said today that he doesn´t need to read the WoT because I recite it to him, so he knows what is happening wether he wants to or not. :biggrin:

Wow! This is a big deal to me because my favorite part of this series is discussing it, in person, with other people. I like discussing on-line, but it's way more fun to have real conversations with people about it. In high school, I managed to get a few friends to read it, but none of them were nearly as obsessed as I was about theories and everything. My family growing up thought I was a nerd, but other than that, didn't really think much of it.

I've tried to get my wife to read them, and she's done pretty well, but she's very slow, and not nearly as into it as me. It's taken her over two years to read up to book 6. I don't think she'll catch up before the last book comes out. I did get my brother to read them finally, and it's been really cool to discuss it with him.

This is why I hope to be able to go to JordanCon next year (hopefully, before the final book comes out). The midnight release parties for the last two years have been near my home, and it's so fun meeting other obsessive fans and talking to them about the series.

I'm a rather large (fit) 35 year old man who served in the military, and can stare a stone into cracking, but I'm giddy like 9 year old girl about to attend a justin bieber concert when the next book comes out.

So yeah, I catch a lot of crap for being a fan.

Also, about 9 years ago I nearly got into a fight with a friend I was meeting for the first time after years of online interaction and we just happened to be in the same place. He was surprised that I liked TWoT because I saw it on his bookshelf and we started to talk about some of the things we liked and disliked about the book and he said "I didn't know you read." Because of who I am I took that as an insinuation that I was supposed to be too stupid to notice some of the subtle aspects of the book, and that I only knew my letters, but not actually literate. My responses was "Yes me read. Me like."

[edit: included the story cuz it crossed my mind after I hit post]

I'm a big fan. My mom read the prologue and first chapter of tEotW but got bored and gave up. I'm still working on my fiancee.

I don't understand people who are defending RJ's writing. He was not a good writer. He didn't have to be, because he was such a damn good world builder and storyteller. Despite the fact that he was a mediocre writer at best, his books are impossible to put down because he puts together stories that make me flip through pages as quickly as Stephen King.

Back on topic: When my fiancee sees me reading, she only notices the bookmark moving. She'll go to bed at 10pm and I'll be on page 200. She'll wake up in the morning to go to work, and notice that my bookmark has moved down to page 650 or 700. My most recent reread was from December 23 to February 24 (or so). I spent about the first 3 weeks on tEotW since I was home for the holidays. At my peak, I was averaging a book every 36 hours (tFoH -> LoC -> aCoS -> aPoD -> WH)

Archived