DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Tuons invulnerability

Durinax

I don't think the foxhead medallions have much of an effect on damane & sul'dam at all, besides potentially protecting them against other channelers.

AFAIK Anyone who can touch the source can be caught by an a'dam. This is why sparkers, who, after having reached a certain age, can touch the source, even though they do not know it yet, can be caught by the a'dam & why sul'dam can be caught by an a'dam after training damane for a few years. They might not know how to channel, but they're learned how to touch the source.

As far as I've seen and read, the medallions require actual channeling before they have any effect, since they dissolve weaves created by a channeler. Depending on which medallion you use, it dissolves the weaves of the person wearing the medallion and weaker weaves of another channeler (imperfect medallion), or it simply dissolves the weaves of another channeler, without affecting the weaves of the wearer (perfect medallion).

For an a'dam to become ineffective, I guess the sul'dam and damane would have to move to a stedding or a place like Far Madding.

About making other forms.

I think Elayne mentioned that the shape of the object isn't important, but that it had to be made of a certain metal and that there had to be a precise amount of said metal for it to work. So unless a foxhead medallion requires as much metal as an a'dam I don't think it could be made into that form. Besides, if my idea is correct, it would only have a limited use anyway.

It would prevent a damane from channeling, but a sul'dam would find out soon enough and replace it with a proper a'dam.

I was a bit surprised when I read that part. I dont think Elayne will be too pleased to know that Mat gave one to Tuon, who is basically the biggest threat to her throne. Though I dont think Tuon will be too grateful either if a "marath damane" made it.

I can imagine channelers who haven't sworn to serve the empress on the oath rod(the obvious solution so far as I can see,and it needs to only be a period of service)to be required to carry a medallion while in 'the lands of the ravens'.

I can imagine channelers who haven't sworn to serve the empress on the oath rod(the obvious solution so far as I can see,and it needs to only be a period of service)to be required to carry a medallion while in 'the lands of the ravens'.

I dont know, the problem with the Seanchan is that they simply mistrust people who can channel. To make all other channelers swear an oath to the Empress just to be in her lands isn't something that would appeal to most of the strong-minded channelers we have seen so far. It seems to me that the Seanchan just need to learn that people who can channel can be trusted to keep themselves under control without the use of anything like the adam or the Oath Rod.

The Foxhead doesnt really protect anyone. Proliferation of said will actually put common people at more risk. What do they teach in schools these days?

The proliferation of fox heads is an escalation of an arms race. It will only last until the enemy has a chance to adapt. The unintended cociquences will be that light side channelers will no longer be able to use grab and hold type techniques. They will have to immediately resort to killing weaves when surprised or they will most likely be killed by some nefarious no good with a stolen copy.

I dont know, the problem with the Seanchan is that they simply mistrust people who can channel. To make all other channelers swear an oath to the Empress just to be in her lands isn't something that would appeal to most of the strong-minded channelers we have seen so far. It seems to me that the Seanchan just need to learn that people who can channel can be trusted to keep themselves under control without the use of anything like the adam or the Oath Rod.

The Seanchan need to learn that channelers can be trusted? Yes some can be trusted, but there is a very long history of the Aes Sedai manipulating, kidnapping, and just plain meddling in the affairs and sovereignty of supposedly autonomous monarchs. I view the Seanchan mistrust of channelers as more of a cultural tradition that has been supported by the Seanchan empress/emperor due to the significant political and military benefit of controlling channelers. IMO, many Randland monarchs would love to have Damane.

The Seanchan need to learn that channelers can be trusted? Yes some can be trusted, but there is a very long history of the Aes Sedai manipulating, kidnapping, and just plain meddling in the affairs and sovereignty of supposedly autonomous monarchs. I view the Seanchan mistrust of channelers as more of a cultural tradition that has been supported by the Seanchan empress/emperor due to the significant political and military benefit of controlling channelers. IMO, many Randland monarchs would love to have Damane.

True, but it's not like its using the One Power itself that causes them to be manipulative right? They're manipulative because they're politicians and not because they channel.

Also, it's mostly the Aes Sedai that do much of the evil manipulating, (and Taim b/c he's a darkfriend and all). And some Aes Sedai are very much on the side of the Light too. We've met some channelers who are very capable of seeing what's right and what's wrong. It's laughable to say that all channelers should swear fealty just because of a few bad apples in the bunch.

EDIT: And I agree, it is mostly tradition that they do this. But just because something is tradition doesn`t mean it is right. Most Seanchan feel that channelers being let to run free is repulsive mostly because they`re scared that they can`t control the power. BUt then they just turn around and use the same power in battle to conquer other lands, which is just as bad.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I've seen and read, the medallions require actual channeling before they have any effect, since they dissolve weaves created by a channeler. Depending on which medallion you use, it dissolves the weaves of the person wearing the medallion and weaker weaves of another channeler (imperfect medallion)

The imperfect copies render one unable to touch the Source (at least they do women who touch them), as Elayne's trip to the dungeons shows.

ForTuona won't really need a Foxhead because she's probably as lucky as Mat. Being lady luck and all, also, I think it's foreshadowed in ToM that Mat will get has a$$ bonded and who better than his dear wife. I do think though that the shadow has to start making serious attempts to kill her.

Archived