DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Secret Signs and Signals

Kathleen

Its a well known fact that the Blacks communicate through hidden meanings in simple gestures and in other secretive ways that every new member of the Ajah learns to use. I would like us to work on defining some of the common signals and what they mean so that we can use them in our Rps.

If you have used specific signals or signs in your old Rps feel free to post them here with their meaning, or if you want to start from scratch post your ideas in this thread. We will need things from hand signals, to placement of things around the tower to anything else you can think of.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok guys, have gotten in touch with CotS and we've decided to work on this together. The plan I am thinking we use is this. In this thread we post the signals/signs we've used in past RPs, with their meanings. We can also post suggestions of new ones and the meaning they would have.

The CotS would do something similar in their boards, and then we would bring them together and put together a list for both of us to use in our RPs. Of course we can have signals just to comunicate BA to BA and some for DF to DF. We will have some secrets and they will have some secrets, so make sure to post if your signals would be known to non BA. I will make a separate list of Ajah specific signals as well as a major list of commonly known Darkfriend signals.

And yes you can still make up and use your own specific signals that your Character makes up to communicate with other people. And we can add to the list as we go once its up, just post when you use new signals and what they mean.

• 1 month later...

ok so may i sugest we take that list i sent you of signals needed, then go through it here see if there are words that we can see need added and figure out the signs for those

ok, since you're here anyway why don't we take it out of PMs and do it here, that way if other BA wanna help they can just jump in?

We were talking about possibly using American Sign Language for this, though my worry on this is some of their signs are not very subtle and couldn't really be worked into conversation as others. Like 'dark' for instace is lifting both arms up at 90 degrees from elbows then crossing them in front of you (kinda like the gangster gesture of 'Damn') Freind is simple, just making and x with your pointer figers with one on top then switching it to the otehr finger on top.

This is the list you sent me of words we want to find signs for, some need americanizing to find signs. I listed some ideas for what I could find on this site http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi its an ASL dictionary.

WoT term - What we look up for signing

darkfriend - Dark Friend

ajah - Community

channeling-channeler - Magician

great lord - Great Lord

lightfool - Light Fool

trolloc - Monster

assassin - Assassin

fade - fade (as in fade out)

soldier - Soldier

warder - bodyguard

draghar - Vampire

Aes Sedai - witch

ashaman - Male Witch?

dreadlord/lady - fear lord/lady

draghar - vampire

channeler - magican

aes sedai - witch

ashaman - wizzard

dreadlord/lady - fear lord/lady

gleeman - artist, or actor, fool, jester, ie lots of other words who can be used, not so with channeling which naturaly would be magic

trolloc - monster, this will allow us at need for tribes to use animal names in addition to seperate the different tribes based on the main type of trollocs in the tribe

ajah - a coven is a gathering or community, gathering isnt in the vocabulary of signs either, but community is, so i sugest that

*hand meets head* i cant believe i forgot to mention it despite thinking it several times

bodyguard is a natural one for warder, though guard isnt in there so body protect(or) would work

and man witch would work since they are the equalent of male aes sedai in aol

• 2 weeks later...

the only consept of body guard as such in the books the way i see it is the warders, otherwise its guards and or soldiers

so for that we can use guard/soldier or just sword if that is a word, ie they got a sword along being the equalent of they have someone along too protect them, but not being the same as a bodyguard

• Arie unpinned this topic