DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Androl again...

AnimusMessor

I know you and Finssss don't get along, but you should look past how you feel about the poster and notice that his distinction and rationale do make sense (even if you disagree).

There is no evidence to support his distinction. Has nothing to do with how much I like or don't like him.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know you and Finssss don't get along, but you should look past how you feel about the poster and notice that his distinction and rationale do make sense (even if you disagree).

There is no evidence to support his distinction. Has nothing to do with how much I like or don't like him.

This seems dismissive just because of who posted it rather than what it says:

I wouldn't call what Fedwin had as a block

No one cares.

As you noted yourself above, the cases we have seen where apparent non-sparkers have blocks can be explained by their ages. Perhaps they were actually sparkers that just channeled early due to being tested.

But at any rate, whether or not there is a distinction between the block that sparkers have to prevent them from reaching the Source and the block that others develop to limit their channeling, the fact the Androl has a block is evidence that he could be a wilder. Its not proof, but when you add it into his life of adventure, confidence, innate sense of leadership, etc, its not an reasonable theory to believe that he is a wilder.

As you noted yourself above, the cases we have seen where apparent non-sparkers have blocks can be explained by their ages.

I didn't say any such thing. Go back and read what I actually said.

But at any rate, whether or not there is a distinction between the block that sparkers have to prevent them from reaching the Source and the block that others develop to limit their channeling, the fact the Androl has a block is evidence that he could be a wilder.

No, it isn't. You are assuming that only wilders or sparkers have such a block.

Its not proof, but when you add it into his life of adventure, confidence, innate sense of leadership, etc, its not an reasonable theory to believe that he is a wilder.

When you add Taim's info to the fact that the rush of saidin is a relatively new thing for Androl in comparison to comparable feelings, such as battle lust, then it's near conclusive evidence that he was not a wilder.

But at any rate, whether or not there is a distinction between the block that sparkers have to prevent them from reaching the Source and the block that others develop to limit their channeling, the fact the Androl has a block is evidence that he could be a wilder.

I'm not assuming any such thing. All I'm saying is that it suggests he could be a wilder.

Its not proof, but when you add it into his life of adventure, confidence, innate sense of leadership, etc, its not an reasonable theory to believe that he is a wilder.

When you add Taim's info to the fact that the rush of saidin is a relatively new thing for Androl in comparison to comparable feelings, such as battle lust, then it's near conclusive evidence that he was not a wilder.

If Androl was a sparker and built a block against it, the rush of Saidin would still be new to him because he wouldn't have been channeling until recently. We see that with Nynaeve. She sparked at a younger age then when we meet her, but she built up a block and didn't know about it. So the rush of Saidar is still a new experience for her once she starts learning to channel.

I don't even believe that he is a wilder. I'm just saying that there is nothing really radical or unreasonable in putting together what we know of him and believing that he could be a wilder. Its not really fair to just dismiss it as worthless.

I'm not assuming any such thing. All I'm saying is that it suggests he could be a wilder.

Yes, you're saying it suggests that because you assume that only wilders have such a block.

If Androl was a sparker and built a block against it, the rush of Saidin would still be new to him because he wouldn't have been channeling until recently. We see that with Nynaeve. She sparked at a younger age then when we meet her, but she built up a block and didn't know about it. So the rush of Saidar is still a new experience for her once she starts learning to channel.

Even the shadows are new, though. If he had been channeling unconsciously, he still would have been affected by the taint. Furthermore, on a comparison to Morgase, he doesn't seem to be slowing at all. If he had lived, for example, 80-100 years, and he still thinks of himself as being in his middle years (his appearance), then that should have led to him realizing that he could channel long before he went to the Black Tower. The spark never comes out before 18 or 19 in men (see my Morr comments) and it never comes out later than around thirty.

I don't even believe that he is a wilder. I'm just saying that there is nothing really radical or unreasonable in putting together what we know of him and believing that he could be a wilder. Its not really fair to just dismiss it as worthless.

I never said it was worthless in the first place. I just said that it wasn't evidence for Androl being a wilder. A block is just that - a mental block. Anyone can develop a mental block for any reason - it's just common for wilders to have good reason to develop a block. Androl might have simply developed a block because he was raised to be 'terrified' of men who can channel.

I like the idea of Androl being a wilder. I was all ready to write a new section on the Black Tower page about it when I remembered the Taim quote and the whole argument fell apart. Morr's block (or bar, if you prefer) is actually very common among wilders, to the point that Toveine and the other Reds assumed that all of the men at the Black Tower would have that particular block. But again, it's entirely psychological, and the fact that non-wilders can have this sort of mental block makes the evidence unconvincing.

Also, Androl is most likely not Farstrider's cousin since he is from Tarabon, and Farstrider is Malkieri.

As you pointed out, it is possible for a learner to develop a block but it doesn't happen often and the vast majority of blocks occur in wilders.

That's assuming Androl even knew he was actually channeling all those years as wilders usually build blocks to keep themselves from knowing.

You missed a post or two.

Naw, points still stand and Androl doesn't think of himself in his middle years, he describes what others would see looking at him and the "slowing" begins for men in their middle years.

You say that as if it isn't exactly what I said. Try actually reading the post.

You missed a post or two.

Naw, points still stand and Androl doesn't think of himself in his middle years, he describes what others would see looking at him and the "slowing" begins for men in their middle years.

You say that as if it isn't exactly what I said. Try actually reading the post.

Not quite exactly but fair enough, you don't like the theory, that's cool, there's evidence to go either way and proof of neither.

Now is where I try and leave this conversation peacefully and wonder if it actually happens.

Which has nothing to do with what you said contradicting what I said.

tn_82_538210.jpg

:biggrin:

I realise exactly what you said, you liked it at first but then changed your mind because you didn't feel there was enough evidence and I responded that I don't feel there's enough evidence to contradict it either.

We agree to disagree and neither side is right as neither has anything concrete enough to be.

I will continue to subscribe to this theory while you obviously won't.

All I can truly hope for is for all of us to be spared the unneeded condescension and insulting BS you tend to exhibit on these boards.

I mean if dealing with "The unwashed masses" of DM is so laborious for you....

ohhh. . .

i'm an idiot, sorry. i should have been able to figure that out myself. :blush:

i thought ice cubes, i think cause it's been snowing for as long as i can remember, and it froze my brain.

heh got a little snow here last night, just a light dusting though.

Yeah, I love the work Terez does and she obviously invests a crazy amount of time to it all but man o man is she frustrating to deal with.

It's like reading chapter after chapter of Nynaeve tugging her braid and calling everyone a woolhead every third sentence.

i used to have a hard time walking away from an argument, and sometimes i still do. but sooner or later, you get carpal tunnel syndrome, and it calms you right down.

don't feel bad about the woolhead thing, though. i'd have to triple my IQ to have the honor of being considered a woolhead by terez (that's not meant as an insult, please don't hurt me), and among non-WOT-related humans, i'm not even considered learning disabled.

don't know who androl is, though. (it's important to try to stay on topic, so i'm trying to u-turn it back from my digression.)

i used to have a hard time walking away from an argument, and sometimes i still do. but sooner or later, you get carpal tunnel syndrome, and it calms you right down.

don't feel bad about the woolhead thing, though. i'd have to triple my IQ to have the honor of being considered a woolhead by terez (that's not meant as an insult, please don't hurt me), and among non-WOT-related humans, i'm not even considered learning disabled.

don't know who androl is, though. (it's important to try to stay on topic, so i'm trying to u-turn it back from my digression.)

Androl is the Dedicated asha'man that makes the new arm guard for the Two-rivers lad and is the man that Logain's faction within the Black Tower look to.

He also makes ridiculously large gateways for his strength in the power and is theo ne that knocks on Pevara Sedai's door at the end of the book about leaving the Tower.

...and just because you're not as dedicated or into the series as much as someone else doesn't mean that that someone else has the right to be insulting or derogatory to you :cool:

Androl is the Dedicated asha'man that makes the new arm guard for the Two-rivers lad and is the man that Logain's faction within the Black Tower look to.

oh, yah, I was was just trying to drive the bus back to the OP. (but ya, as well, don't know who androl is that way, either, cause i can't get too worked up about these new books somehow)

...and just because you're not as dedicated or into the series as someone else doesn't mean that that someone else has the right to be insulting or derogatory to you :cool:

s'alright, i've been insulting and derogatory to plenty of people who didn't deserve it, myself. this is how the universe (read G-d if you like) teaches me to be less of a jerk.

it's a work in progress.

I wouldn't call what Fedwin had as a block

No one cares.

I do.

No one cares.

The distinction is that one completely stops someone from touching the source and the other limits what you can do with the source when you have it.

'Bar' is just Taim's word for it; I doubt he made any distinction between a bar and a block in the way that you guys are suggesting, and there is certainly no evidence to suggest that he made a distinction. They are the same thing, though I'm sure there are many different types of blocks.

The point is that Androl's block is not evidence for him being a wilder.

A Two star rating right there.

Three stars.

Archived