DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

He who draws it our will follow after . . .

Limedust

We know that the Prophecy states that whoever draws out Callandor after Rand put it back in the Stone will follow after him. I guess Narishma fits the bill in both ways, but doesn't that seem a little anti-climactic? All Narishma said was "Your wards and traps could have killed me," or some such, and Rand says, "Well, you made it." After all his studying of the Prophecy, it seems a major letdown that Rand didn't once think about Narishma following after him. Thoughts? Suggestions? Flaming?

Rand did care that he came back and had the sword. Rand always counts the people he can trust with major tasts, using Min's viewings or his own knowledge. Narshima is now someone that he can trust with any task. Just like the viewings Min had of the Aes Sedia in Rand's hand. Later on i am pretty sure rand says something about being able to trust the man i just don't know where.

Guest cwestervelt

It wasn't a spur of the moment decision to send Narishma. I remmember a PoV of Rand's where he considers how, because of that Prophesy, he thought a long time about who to choose to get Callandor before deciding who to send.

I remember before Narishma appeared with it, there was a lot of discussion and the general concensus was that Logain would be the one to pull it out. That would have made a lot more sense and probably would have been better. Like Limedust said, his pulling it out really was very anti-climactic and is one of the few things that has disappointed me in the series.

I wonder if this is a case of Robert Jordan changing his mind about what he intended to do with Calandor.

Guest cwestervelt

Didn't spend any time here back then so I wouldn't have known what the general concensus was, but I don't see why anyone would have taken that stance. Unless it was prompted by the anti-Taim attitude most people have.

Logain was on hiatus with location unknown from Lord of Chaos until late in The Path of Dagger's. By the time he turns up again, Callandor has already been retrieved, and Rand isn't even aware that he has joined the Tower. He would certainly not be in a position of trust.

As I remember it he did not fully trust Narishma. I can be wrong but wasnt it a part of the trap puzzle that he didnt tell Narishma? Narishma complained about it and afterwards Rand sits thinking if he hadnt told him everything.

I handt read the books for a while and am currently in another qounty so I cant really check it up.

Guest cwestervelt

Rand honestly believed he had told Narishma everything about the traps. Later, when Narishma returns and mentions how he almost got killed, Rand was trying to convince himself that Narishma must have forgotten something and not Rand himself. Rand was in denial of the possibility that he (Rand, not Narishma) had lost that much control.

Rand honestly believed he had told Narishma everything about the traps. Later, when Narishma returns and mentions how he almost got killed, Rand was trying to convince himself that Narishma must have forgotten something and not Rand himself. Rand was in denial of the possibility that he (Rand, not Narishma) had lost that much control.

You know, it's possible that one of the Forsaken dropped by and threw in an extra inverted trap or two of his/her own ... Rand is paranoid, but still was still mostly coherent at the time.

You know, it's possible that one of the Forsaken dropped by and threw in an extra inverted trap or two of his/her own ... Rand is paranoid, but still was still mostly coherent at the time.

I strongly doubt that. Rand's traps were inverted, and there is no way for the forsaken to know what might trigger those traps. But it would be quite stupid of them to not suspect that channeling the wrong weaves close to callandor might be one of the very first triggers rand thinks of.

It makes sense that Rand would have a hard time remembering what he did to Callandor in the Stone because he did it before he had Asmodean or anyone else to teach him anything and would presumably be using mostly the memories from Lews Therin to weave the inverted protection ward and since at the time he wasn't sure about where the knowledge was coming from it would have made for an even more difficult time telling Narishma everything he had done.

I strongly doubt that. Rand's traps were inverted, and there is no way for the forsaken to know what might trigger those traps. But it would be quite stupid of them to not suspect that channeling the wrong weaves close to callandor might be one of the very first triggers rand thinks of.

.... because everyone knows Rand knows alot more about channeling than the Forsaken. Seriously, it makes sense for some of them to do something there, it was one place they figured Rand would come back to, but where they knew he wasn't at the moment. They wouldn't have to pile the trap right on top of Callandor. We don't have any other record of Rand just flat out forgetting something important because of the madness. It would be very odd if he just forgot this one thing, but didn't show that symptom any other time ...

Guest cwestervelt
Majsju:

Actually, Rand's traps were not inverted when he first set them. He went back and did that later after Asmodean taught him how. Until that point, a male channeller could have seen the weaves he used and attempted to figure it out. I just can't consider it a likely occurrance. They were too desperate to just leave such a prize sitting their if they thought they had any chance of manipulating the traps.

Addition:

That the traps were not initially inverted comes from Lord of Chaos, Chapter 32 "Summoned in Haste."

As soon as Egwene disappeared, Rand stepped out from among the columns. He came her sometimes, to look at Callandor. The first visit had been after Asmodean taught him to invert his weaves. Then he had changed the traps laid around the sa'angreal so only he could see them. If the Prophesies could be believed, whoever drew itout would "follow after" him. He was not sure how much he did believe any longer, but there was no sense taking chances.

That passage was bloody difficult to find. I knew it existed but couldn't remember where. http://encyclopaedia-wot.org:8008/items/callandor.html incorrectly sends you to chapter 28.

They wouldn't have to manipulate his traps at all, just to set their own in the vicinity. And actually, I was thinking of one of the women, possibly Lanfear. She said outright that she didn't trust him with Callandor. And the traps wouldn't have to be fatal ... after all, Narishma apparently got surprised and he isn't dead. I'm just saying that assuming Rand just forgot, something we haven't seen anywhere else, or subconsciously tried to get Narishma killed, is ignoring a whole host of other reasonable possibilities. In some cases, much more reasonable possibilities.

I think that Narishma is probably one of the few Asha'man (and the plural of Asha'man is still Asha'man NOT Asha'men, sorry but it really bugs me!)that Rand can trust along with all of the first group of Asha'man that Rand recruited, except Dashiva for obvious reasons!

Archived