• Replies 237.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smiley73

• Crimson_Ayla

• Nyanna al'Meara

• mmeeshal

The Rabbi looked up and said: "Looking back on it, ....circumcision may not have been the best way to start."

ROFLMAO

silly jew.

That catechism is a royal pain btw.

it's amazing that ritual caught on the way it did...

do they still make you learn the catechism? i only really read about it in little house, and they didn't explain it well.

but considering the ridiculous amount of rote memorization we had in jewish school, it's had to imagine something more painful.

Is Yonkers Jewish?

some of it is but it's mostly not anymore

"The cultural makeup of the city is 55.8% White, 18.7% African American, 0.7% Native American, 5.9% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 14.7% from other races, and 4.1% from two or more ethnicities. 34.7% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any ethnic background.

According to the 2000 Census[1], 19.9% were of Italian and 11.6% Irish descent. 61.3% spoke English, 22.7% Spanish, 3.9% Italian, 5% Arabic and 1.3% Portuguese as their first language.

my sister commutes to teach there and there are no jewish kids in her school.

The Rabbi looked up and said: "Looking back on it, ....circumcision may not have been the best way to start."

ROFLMAO

silly jew.

do they still make you learn the catechism? i only really read about it in little house, and they didn't explain it well.

but considering the ridiculous amount of rote memorization we had in jewish school, it's had to imagine something more painful.

I never knew it existed as a child and if I should have I don't remember. It's kinda a good tool though. Not so much to use against other beliefs but against catholics who don't have a clue.

ROFLMAO

silly jew.

I never knew it existed as a child and if I should have I don't remember. It's kinda a good tool though. Not so much to use against other beliefs but against catholics who don't have a clue.

can you sum it up? it does look like a royal pain...

http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc.htm

circumcision is a useful tool for keeping the conversion rate low.

i think that might have been half the reason, besides the covenant inscribed in flesh thing.

and the cosmetic aspect.

those are some of the ouchiest parts of the OT. seriosuly dude, a sharp rock? at your age?

reminds me of highway 61. god said to abraham kill me a son, abe said man you must be putting me on, god said no, abe said what?, god said you can do what you want abe, but the next time you see me coming you better run, abe said where you want this killing done? god said out on highway 61.

they had some serious faith back in the day.

Edited by cindy

i alwys thought it was like a series of questions and answers people were supposed to memorize, but i never looked it up and that was a way lot of stuff to read on the fly.

whole mess of rules pretty much sums up my religious education.

like way too many but people manange tolive by them and add more around them to make sure they don;t accidentally break one by skirting too close.

intrestingly enough, not saying naughty words is not one of the rules.

nor are an awful lot of things i can't say here.

people being what we are, there are some things god didn't ask of us.

but what's up with yonkers?

I'm watching Madagascar and the ol Jewish woman said something about Yonkers.

ah, ok, yes, it used to be very jewish so probably still old people there who couldn't get out.

it's just south of new rochelle and scarsdale (where the petries lived, in the dick van dyke show, i can say that, right?), which are now the big jewish neighborhoods north of the city.