DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Moiraine

ONeill

Not even rand could put the fire out back in the normal world, and he did try. He only contained it to the wagon. Additionally it is stated again and again that the Finn's will kill you (or i believe the words were 'dire consequences') if you say anything touching the shadow, much less bring one of the forsaken in with you. Finally, it is not a 'magic' door. The finns are not fairies. And its not billy under the hill. One consistant thing in RJ's work is that nothing is magical in the mystical sense, and there are no innocents or anything like that.

The finns are quite a nasty piece of work, by and large. They obey the old treaty, yes, but they also wear human skin for clothing and succeeded in killing mat. When moiraine went through it would have destroyed the door, which would have cause a large and likely deadly fire. She was grappling with Lanfear, so chances are they made it through together (if transallocation of connected living matter occurs, no one would make it through the doors without their cell structure being disrupted. Yes, if you go in seperately you would ened up apart, but Lanfear and moiraine went in together--i dont see them being seperated, RJ is too much of a physicist for that.) but even if they were seperate do you think the finns arn't capable of making the connection that the two come through at the same moment causing a massive fire, and that one is as deeply connected the shadow as its possible to be.

They have a natural prediliction to be nasty, even when all the old prescripts were met, under those conditions, and with moiraine and lanfear stilled and unable to fight back or escape... why on earth would they grant wishes?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think one of her wishes was to be as strong in the one power as Lanfear, so they made Lanfear weaker (this from her comment on WH) she probally wanted Lanfear's knowlege in the OP also. What came of that I don't know. Third wish was probally her life. Can't guess waht the price was. Maybe it was her warder? Or the angreal she clawed away from Lanfear? That would be a pretty valuable trading item.

She had the angreal, and left it out specifically for Lanfear to find. I doubt she conciders it all that important. Additionally, it seems very likely that she was stilled. We know that A) the warder bond still connects people from the finn world to ours. B) Death, stilling and intentional release are the only ways to break a bond, since the suddenness of the release, and that it seems that it requires physical contact, and we know she did not die, the only existing explanation we have for the severing is stilling. C)Lanfear was reduced in strength. The only ways we know to reduce someones strength is through a shield, which Lanfear herself suggests that she has skill in breaking, and through being stilled then healed by a woman. D) Lanfear was, and Moiraine is held by the finns. From Rands display in tSR we know that the finns cannot poractively fight channeling... by, say, shielding them or anything. Therefore if Moiraine and Lanfear (who, remember, knows of the Finns and the other ways out and so forth) were held for an extended time, they must not have been able to channel.

Altogether it seems reasonable to assume that they were stilled in falling through the doorway.

If the Finn's were so incredibly pissed about the Forsaken coming through and the fire, then why not just kill Moiriane? Why keep her around for a couple years so that their arch-nemisis could come through the tower and bind them all? She knows she's going to live as long as Mat does the right thing, so the Finn's can't be THAT crazy about seeking justice for "slights" against them.

Again, I think it's going to be really freaking pathetic if she comes back out with absolutely no difference to her. There was a reason for putting her through that door.

Yes, and that reason was to allow rand to grow as a character without the mummy/gandalf figure nearby to lean on.

As to why they didn't kill her, maybe they had other pleasures in mind concerning her. Dire consequences doesn't nessasarily mean death.

I think it would be weake if she did come back with extra powers. Way too cliche and all that. What i liked about Moiraine was her strength of will and her personality, not her superman complex.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if anyone has pondered on who Olver is.

He is male and ugly - sounds a bit like Birgitte's other half don't you think?

And he is of about the right age when he disapeared from TR too - just a thought.

I said this in another post but I think it bears repeating.

We know Lanfear was killed, because the DL resurected her. How did she get killed? Think about Lanfear. She's not exactly the timid meek type. If there were any conflict with the finns (which is not a difficult assumption) She is gonna try to bully them. Overpower them. The finns put the smack down.

I'm not saying Moriaine is demure and meek, but I am saying she knows how to survive evidenced by how she began to deal with Rand. She's not so meek that she won't try to escape, but she's not so headstrong that she's gonna get herself killed.

Moiraine ownz.

Archived