DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Fighter

Krakalakachkn

A review:

I just saw an advanced screening of David O. Russell’s “The Fighter” starring Mark Wahlberg and Christian Bale. This movie is a force to be reckoned with in 2010, including come Oscar time. The only film I’ve seen of David O. Russell is “Flirting With Disaster” which I enjoyed; turned off Huckabees about a half hour in because I’m not smart enough to enjoy that shit.

David nailed it with “The Fighter” – great pacing (takes it’s time like films used to but never gets boring), great performances (can see a Best Supporting nod for Christian Bale and Melissa Leo), and a story that not only plays well with genres (really a sports dramedy – lot of laughs, actually), but it also tells a compelling story about what’s important in life – not just your dreams but who you take with you on the way to those dreams being realized.

It’s just a very likable movie and I think it’ll play well with critics and audiences alike. I was somewhat emotional with joy by the end of the film. Call me cheesy for that, that’s fine, but the film isn’t cheesy. Authenticity and heart abound in a film that will stay with you long after you’ve left the theatre.

I don't know man. That's not what I've been hearing.

That's just my take personal take from the preview and what I've seen of it. To each their own, I just think Hollywood could do with some fresh ideas and this just doesn't seem like one to me.

This will be like the 4th movie with Mark Wahlberg where he's a regular joe who becomes a famous something or other. The one where he get's on the eagles, the rock star one, boogie nights. I'm not a Mark Wahlberg hater or anything either. "The Departed" was the shit and "Fear" was pretty good too. Personally I'd like to see him do some more comedy stuff.

I don't know, I guess I just don't see "Based on a True Story" and automatically think it's going to be one of the best movies ever. Which is what it seems like happens a lot. Then again though, I'm not a critic and I couldn't care less about Oscar buzz and awards and all that stuff. I'm in it purely for the entertainment value and this movie and it's concept seem extremely boring and used up to me. Respectively.

I really hope you and everyone else who wants to enjoys it though. :]

• 3 months later...

"The Fighter" director David O. Russell tells MTV News that he's very keen on continuing that story with a second movie:

"I think that would be awesome. I just love those characters and I think we could do a lot of fun and interesting stuff... I would do it whenever anyone says they’re ready, I’m ready to write it" he says and insists he'd have to be a part of any writing on the project.

Actor Mark Wahlberg has previously indicated a sequel would focus on his character's trio of epic fights with Arturo Gatti. Russell says "I think Micky’s story has a lot of heart whichever way you cut it. You’d go towards the Gatti fights and you could go into the history of the family more. I really like the sisters."

Archived