DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Quick Question - Is Lan a Blademaster Bc He Killed Toram Raitin?

The Fisher King

Of course I do; however I know very little about true generals and only go on those in the book from what I've read about them. I can therefore only compare it to what I do know. Of course, it could apply exactly the same, but I really wouldn't know. Does a general who sends in a sniper squad need to have been a sniper?

What I've seen is, you didn't need to be at the epitome of your sport to make a great coach. It helps to have a good understanding (this is crucial) but not be a blademaster, if you know what I mean...

It's not serious, I was just thinking that 'training' is not really a justification for a top general to more likely be a blademaster. Of course, to have the dedication, will etc to be a top general means you're probably more likely to succeed with whatever you try.

I think it has more with upbringing. Its seems pretty normal for nobles to get sword-training for most of their life. and other then Mat pretty much anyone with miltary rank is a noble. They have access to the best trainers money can buy.

Plus why your point about the sniper is true, it takes only one man get past the guards.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course I do; however I know very little about true generals and only go on those in the book from what I've read about them. I can therefore only compare it to what I do know. Of course, it could apply exactly the same, but I really wouldn't know. Does a general who sends in a sniper squad need to have been a sniper?

What I've seen is, you didn't need to be at the epitome of your sport to make a great coach. It helps to have a good understanding (this is crucial) but not be a blademaster, if you know what I mean...

It's not serious, I was just thinking that 'training' is not really a justification for a top general to more likely be a blademaster. Of course, to have the dedication, will etc to be a top general means you're probably more likely to succeed with whatever you try.

I think it has more with upbringing. Its seems pretty normal for nobles to get sword-training for most of their life. and other then Mat pretty much anyone with miltary rank is a noble. They have access to the best trainers money can buy.

Plus why your point about the sniper is true, it takes only one man get past the guards.

Rodel Ituralde was not Noble born. His PoV's are pretty clear on this, mentioning losing a woman to a Noble with soft hands in his poor youth.

I have my doubts about Gareth Bryne as well, he worked his way through the ranks of the Queen's Guard after all. No, I believe Bryne was granted his title's, not born with them.

I am a little disappointed that Bryne got his reveal so late, seems strange especially

since it is stressed with every other blade-master pretty early on. I think it would be

odd if every Great Captain was a blade-master. From what we have seen it takes an

incredible amount of time and strength to be a blade-master. While it is important

for generals to be good soldiers, being the best fighters in their armies is a

little odd. That said I don't think it is to odd for two or three out of five to be such,

but five out of five might be too much. Although trying to think of generals that were good

warriors in modern combat I remembered William F. Dean. Hopefully this post makes some sense.

Archived