DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What Music Are You Listening To?

Hannibal King

Yep Demonspawn, I like Muse. Only got Absolution though, and I haven't heard any of Black Holes & Revelations yet. I particularly like them because they are the one band today that sounds like no one else, you can instantly tell muse by the weird singing, the distorted bass, and the fact that nobody else in the mainstream uses that kind of harmony anymore. Time Is Running Out is by far their best song, every part is amazing (meaning that the vocal tune for the chorus is great, the rhythm guitar part for the prechorus where the chords incorporate the melody line, the lead riff in the bridge - sounds great with lots and lots of gain - the bass riff is instantly recognisable, and the drum part for verse 2 and the bridge is such utter fun to play). I first hated Hysteria when I heard it, it slowly grew on me, and now I love the song. From that album, Sing For Absolution is a great song, as is Stockholm Syndrome, and one of my favourites is Falling Away With You. And then it also has two of the greatest song titles ever: Apocalypse Please and Thoughts Of A Dying Atheist.

Gotta love System, except none of their albums since have come close to Toxicity. I'm surprised you mention the title track as the standout one, I always thought it was Chop Suey!, by a long way. But yes, Toxicity is also a fantastic song, as are ATWA and Aerials. And Deer Dance has an awesome riff in the verse.

The only Ozzy one I really know is It Gets Me Through, my flatmate is a big Black Label Society fan, lots of pinched harmonics and the like.

And I disagree - the Donnington recording of Fear Of The Dark, the same as the original studio recording, and the one from A Real Live Dead One, and the one from Death On The Road all suffer from the same problem - the Rock In Rio version is the greatest live recording ever. It's Bruce's intro of "A light... in the black..." and 250,000 people singing (South American Metal fans are the loudest in the world). That's why that recording is on the end of Edward The Great, and also pops up on Visions Of The Beast. I regularly wake up to it.

I can understand why people don't like Def Leppard, for a band from Sheffield they sound very 80s US Stadium Rock. But really, Photograph is such a great song!

ILS

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nickelback: Far Away

I haven't heard any Black Crows.

Last weekend was my first weekend away at uni, went to the Air Guitar Championships and my flatmate and I let out huge cries when they played Youth Gone Wild. Also got my picture in the national paper, headbanging in mid Air-solo.

Nightwish: Walking In The Air (We're gonna cover it this Christmas!)

ILS

Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor.

If you're not a rap fan, I could understand why you aren't interested in Lupe. But if you are...man, you should pick up this cd. It's ill. He's great at storytelling and imagery. This kid is going to be the next...Kanye, or something. Luuuuupe!

Manowar: Battle Hymn.

Got the new Nightwish DVD yesterday, End Of An Era. Watched it 3 times already. It's the last concert they did with Tarja, it's very very good. I'd rank it 3rd of all live concert DVDs, behind Rock In Rio and S&M. This is Nightwish at their very best, it really does make you wonder why they couldn't have just put up with her. The standout tracks are Ever Dream (this is what happens when the greatest singer in the world sings her heart out), Phantom Of The Opera (the opening line brings several people to tears), and Ghost Love Score. Can't really recommend it enough.

ILS

Archived