DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

RPG games

Red2111

a place to talk about RPG games. those that you love, those that you hate and to get recomendations as wel as give some :myrddraal:

been trying to find an RPG to replace my beloved .hack//G.U. *sigh* no luck yet. maybe those of you who've played this game can recomend one like it?? what i like most about it you ask ... well pretty much everything :biggrin:

seriously though, heres the short list

1. story line

2. live action fighting style (non FF style)

3. free world play

4. combo quest & dungeon crawler aspect

5. armor & weapon upgrade system

6. party style play

7. easy control scheme

yep that sums up a good RPG for me :) any suggestions :happy:

ah also the quotes pulled from the "Currently playing' thread

just got this game

demon-soul1.jpg

kinda meh. i felt jpped at the beginning cause out of no where this orge comes out and one hit and i'm dead *rolls eyes* i'm still out for judegment on this one as i'm not gettign very far do to its difficulty and different play style. and the review i'm reading on this site is certaintly not giving me cause for celebration and only aggrivation :sad:

Demon Souls is awesome Red. I need to get back onto it really.

Early on u probably will die quite abit. Think I died 5 times on the first level although one of these was because I fell off some stairs trying to walk around an exploding barrel!

Atm just trying to polish off some things on Virtua Tennis 2009. Ranked 6 now on pro tour....what a grind

been reading reveiws for Demon Souls, and i'm nto sure i'll liek it or not. i'm mre of a "God of War" or ".hack//" or "fable" type RPG person. now that i know better on what to expect and how to actually play it i'm going to try it again tonight with a different approach. though the lack of save points seeing how hard it is to play is still aggrevating in and of itself :dry:

what class did u start as.

the royal makes it easy at first as soul arrow is awesome!

I tend to like most RPGs. still got to play all the god of wars (have 1 and 2 sitting next to my comp)

Fable 2 was quite good, didn't play fable 1 and I will wait for fable 3 to come down in price before buying it.

Demons souls though is awesome. You really just need to spend time learning some playouts and enemies then it is fairly easy. I charged through lots of the later levels because I figured out a style that suited me.

and to answer the post above :biggrin:

what class did u start as.

i started as a Wanderer; though i was thinking on either Hunter or Royalty at the time.

I tend to like most RPGs. still got to play all the god of wars (have 1 and 2 sitting next to my comp)

that series is more than worth the price IMO. i've played both 1 & 2 twice (first PS2 edition, then replayer for the PS3 version) i still havent cracked into #3 yet cause i lost the saved data on the PS3 due to a fried motherboard; and with RPG series, you get better stats & qeaponry playing the games in order (not that Bubba believs me :rolleyes: )

its a great hack & slash game though; weapon invetory isn't much, and upgrade system is more than simplistic. but the battle is free rang destroy all type (imo it's a dungeon crawler) and the story line is epic.

a really good game with a good replay value.

there are a few that aren't worth buying i've come across. once is "Eternal Sonata" which SUCKED!!! it's not even worth renting honestly.

Fable 2 was quite good, didn't play fable 1 and I will wait for fable 3 to come down in price before buying it.

:laugh: same here. though i find it hard to pick it back up after completing the Spire and comming back to the main land for some reason. i've made two profiles in case it was just the character, but with each i put it down after that and never picked it backup ... could be because mario galaxy & super mario bros came out *innocent look*

Demons souls though is awesome. You really just need to spend time learning some playouts and enemies then it is fairly easy. I charged through lots of the later levels because I figured out a style that suited me.

yeah thats what i keep reading in the reviews. i'm goign to go back into with an open mind, but i get aggrevated way to easily at games. when i got stuck on twighlight princess (esorcting the Zora Prince in the back of the wagon) i got so aggrevated i stopped playing the game for about 6 months before pickign it back up and finally beating it. this is after about 1 week straight of attemtping and failing miserably, but i sitll threw the controller into the couch out of sheer frustration more than a few times :wacko:

Demons Souls

Straight from the strategy guide that came with the special ed European release

The Wanderer - The Wanderer is the starting class for the more experienced player. The lack of high defence armour, a ranged weapon and spells/miracles makes the wanderer more difficult to use, yet the falchion and dagger are both very effective melee weapons in an experienced players hands.

my own point of view is the dagger is a spam weapon. keep attacking on r1 until they die!

the falchion is an awesome weapon as are all curved swords. I spent most of my early game using the crescent falchion +1 from 4-1 until i made a crescent kilij + 5.

Well done on the starting class....

Royalty is awesome cuz of soul arrow but the rapier they have is awful... and hunter seems a good start for a none magic char.

I can infact pretty much describe the first level while not playing it, it is ingrained in my mind of where nearly all the enemies are.

I presume u don't like walkthrough type of things?

Fable 2

I played for abit after the spire but I rarely use my 360 and my brother now has it atm anyway.

God of War 1 & 2

I do intend to play them, got unopened in my pile of games along with darksiders, bayonetta, bioshock

Overall RPG

I would say that my 2 favourite RPG games at present are Diablo 2 and Oblivion. I might try that Castlevania game at some point (I read IGNs first 8 hour thing and it said it was like God of War

lmao, reading that description i tell you last night i kept saying "i'd love another fire bomb, a bow would be even better!!!" after playing through it again and taking the advice of both youand the reveiws i find i'm enjoying the game much better :laugh: thanks :happy:

i'm stuck on my first real foe. i have another way i can go, infact i've already helped the trapped night whose there in body form; but i'm the type that will go back to clear an area once i'm sure it's not the correct way forward.

walkthrough_023.jpg

thats the screen shot of where this guy is (from ign's walk through). he has a spear and two hits i'm dead. i've already stocked up on arrows and bots, so all i need is a bow and i'll fletch him with so many arrows he wont have time to think to charge (which according to the walkthrough i missed somehow :dry: i'm going back to look for that tonight for sure). and apparently the game no longer wants to give me fire bombs either, cause i've gone both the long way & short way up many times and only receieve terpintine. a flaming sword is cool (reminds me of a character from ASoF&I) but it doesn't effect this enemy and i'm scared using it too much will really hurt my weapon.

as for the wanderer, i like her (yes i made her a girl) i'm better with melee and bows when fighting rather than magic; i like to get in and wack the crap out of my opponent. though hearing that it's a character not for beginners on this game, i probably wont get so aggrevatived now when i lose :blink: i'm still not starting over though, i'm kinda attached to my character now just to scrap her and start over :blush:

i've found that the best fighting technique (at least in open area combat with humans) is to wait to see which direction they charge from, jump the opposite way and attack from behind with two swings from my falchion (r1). i love the slow-mo shots were my character uses the weapon and pierces them though, thats awesome :biggrin: i also got another short sword saber type sword (the schimtar) that i rotate from my falchion (though i really want to try the bastard sword *pouts*), to keep down the wear and tear on my good sword. it takes an extra hit to kill with, and i dont use it on the armored knights, but it works on the weakly armored goons that carry the fire torches & the wooden slavers shields.

i can't wait to get to the part where i can start building my stats though, i have around 1,000 souls waiting to be spent or lost :laugh: and the blacksmith wont upgrade my weapons any more, so i'm stuck with either saveing the souls and hoping i can get back to the kill point if i die, or stocking up on stuff like the herb he sales and arrows.

as for the dagger, and the mail breaker .... meh i'm trying to use a combo of the mail breaker and falchion but i doesn't seem to work, i like the dagger/mail breaker in close quarters where using my flachion will result more in blows to the wall than hitting the enemy, but still i seem to take alot more damage cause of the short radius. once i get a bow, i have a feeling i'll be discarding those weapons for good (or storing them atleast, maybe keep one onhand to equip JIC)

with walk throughs, i'll use them when i get severly stuck; but i feel like i'm cheating when i do that. i tend to use them alot when playing zelda though, and i have used one for this game as well. typically i dont buy them, as i can find them for free on the internet *nods* Twighlight Princess was a different story though :ph34r:

out of the other games you've mentioned, i haven't played any of them, so i'm a bit biased concerning GoW :wink: Bioshock always has really good reviews in game Informer though, and i know hey have #2 comming out soon (if it already isn't out) i've heard the story line is great though; but i'm not one for FOS's much yet; not too good with the duel joystick or looking throught he character POV on screen. i am getting better with the duel joystick, until 2006 i was still playing gmes on a sega and SNES and game boy :sleep: so it's hard to switch striaght from anologe to duel joystick and lots more buttons lmao

darksiders, i always look at the game when we go to gamestop, but never get it. the cover looks cool. when you play it, let me know aout it (fight style, upgrade system & storyline) and i'll see if it's worth buying it after i'm through with this game. Castlevania might be interesting then. i never played the older NES version but always heard rave reviews about it :) i think i have either Oblivion or Elder Scrolls for the 360, but i dan't rememebr if i turned it back in due to it being to confusing to start off in. i know i had one of those for the PC, but i don't like playing games on the PC much. Fate was cool, and Diner Dash & Majhong are always good ones to play mindlessly, but thats about it.

but I rarely use my 360 and my brother now has it atm anyway.

:laugh: totally know this feeling. bubba got madden on it, so my hopse for ever playign the 360 are connected to getting him madden 11 & NCAA 11 for the PS3 :rolleyes: so it will probably be next year before we switch consoles again lmao by then Fable 3 should be down in price and we should have the new Batman Game for the PS3

Demon Souls

Yeh the mob that u are referring to in ur screenshot is the red eye knight. He is hard to kill at first as a melee char. I will tell u an easy way to kill him further down but u will need to kill phlanx first.

I hope u ain't used those firebombs as they are awesome against phlanx and so are turpentine. Phlanx is fairly simple anyway and so close to the start of the level. You been near the dragons yet??

My other question is...Did you pick up the thiefs ring and the cling ring?

So Red Eye Knight easy kill - equip thiefs ring and have the soul arrow spell (you can buy it for 1,000 souls). walk slowly towards him trying to select him, when u can stop. Soul Arrow him and immediately de select him and run away. He will stop chasing after a while (you can hear him quite easily) and walk back to his spot. Continue this until he dies (3-4 soul arrows). He will net u 2,000 souls each time u kill him - easy level up place. He might occasionally heal but u will soon learn why he does that.

The Red Eye Knight guards a door that Ostrava drops the key too (Old King Doran is behind it) apart from that there is no point going that way.

With regards to the bastard sword - I have never used it. I used a rapier for the first level (which is awful). A dagger and heater shield in 2-1. Then got the crescent falchion from 4-1 and use that two handed. I only really use curved swords now as I like their attack patterns.

Regarding upgrading I wouldn't bother until u get a worthwhile weapon.

Other Games

I will tell u what I think of Darksiders when I get round to it. Might be a while GT5 is out 5th November.....

Oblivion I highly rate, it is the most free world RPG I have ever played, I infact have never even come close to completing the main quest even after 120 hours due to side quests and running around killing any monster I see and general exploring.

I got Madden 10 on my ps3 and Madden 08 on the Wii and I will play them from time to time. Too many games, not enough time!

yeah i've met the dragons  :dry:   can't say i like them AT ALL!!!  :laugh:   you say buy soul arrows, but where at?  and is there a place where i can buy magic as well; i've only gotten soul arrows by going to the "Shrine of storms" and the bone archer on the stairs will sometimes drop them after i pop him 4 times with regular arrows.  and he only drops 5 at a time.  but yeah, i have both rings :)

i can see more & more why the Wanderer wasn't a very good first pick for playing, i have a feeling my character wont be getting magic cause i think if i was to get it i would have already  :unsure:

thanks for the advice about the fire sword and using it on the boss.  once i got to his flesh it melted away rather easily  :happy:  i only died once hehehe  i'm actually thinking on doing a new character, especially if this one wont give me magic for the bigger fights like with the Orge's & dragons, i can't see beating them without the use of magic really, and it takes WAY too many arrows to kill an Orge, wasted my entire stock on the on near the beginning of "Shrine of Storms" then died cause i was left with only attackng him melee style.  i died with one hit, but it only took one hit to kill him as well  -->  :mellow:  was my feeling and expression when that happened  :rolleyes:

Oblivion kinda sounds like a game called "Sacred 2".  its a massive open world, with lots of side quests and 4 or 5 storylines to chose from.  it's kinda meh though, didn't play much into it before getting bored and moving on.   didn't like the weapon, item & armor system much either.

with Oblivion, whats the game like.  is it a free fighting style like Demons Souls?  hows the weapons & armor upgrade system? is it a decent storyline?

I plan on getting Demon's Soul in a bit. Probably early November, after I finish Towers of Midnight.

Have you tried Dragon Age, Red? Its a very solid RPG, not turn based like Final Fantasy, has a good range of options for it, has tons of quests and dungeon crawling. Its a bit easy, sure, but its still one of the best RPGs in the last few years IMO.

I'm still playing through the first God of War, mainly out of a mixture of laziness, only getting it before God of War 3 came out (the PS3 HD version of 1 and 2), and been a bit busy in RL lately. Its pretty awesome though, I'll agree.

Currently I'm playing nothing, I'm sad to say. Popped in some Infamous a few days ago, got annoyed when I wasn't thinking and chose the Hero path (Hey, evil is fun!) for a particular instance and turned it off :laugh:

Have FF13 I've been considering a replay of, though I'd mainly do it because it really is an amazing visual experience and the gameplay itself is pretty fantastic, if very linear.

Maybe I should buckle down and beat Fallout 3. Its not that its difficult, I just am considering how best to go about a hand to hand character that won't suck. Because I absolutely love playing my Fallout games with my fists bear and hands empty :baalzamon:

Oh, try Borderlands if you haven't already. Really fun if you just enjoy kicking back a few hours and dungeon crawling.

I didn't suggest Dragon Age as it is slightly turn based. Brilliant game though.

I am waiting now for the collection to come out so I can play awakening and some of the other add ons.

I think I saw a build somewhere that looked like a fairly decent hand to hand combat build for Fallout 3. I'll try and remember where it is.

i actually put down Demons Souls due to aggravation for a while.  Elend, it's funny you say something about Infamous cause i just popped it in and spent all day playing it.  i'm about 10% done with it, but i like the game so far. (was a christmas gift and finally got around to opening it lol)

took a while to get used to the reverse camera (pushing the joy stick left cause the camera to look right) and the targeting system is crappy especially with no "lock on"  but the story line is interesting and the game play and upgrade system are decent; as well as the side quests.  lots going on at the same time, so it can get a bit confusing to remember what you need to do.

i heard some negative reviews about Dragon Age.  that the game play can be a bit glitchy and the controls are a bit shaky & hard to control, as well as the screen itself being really dark in color which makes it hard to find and target enemies.    i could be confusing it with a different game that has to do with riding dragons though ...  i might have to check it out at blockbuster and rent it for the weekand before going and buying it

Dragon Age has some glitches, but they're like old school RPG glitches. They exist because they tried to do too much with it... making, honestly, an awesome playing experience.

You can change the camera in Infamous. I know you can, I just forgot how.

And try Borderlands sometimes. It sounds like it'd be up your alley, if perhaps a little FPSish.

Haven't touched any games for a very long time, but I remember ICO, SoTC, DBZ: BT3, Dragon Quest: VIII, FF: XII being the the ones I played. Many good memories, even through I never completed any of them..

i'll have to see if i can re-check the options menu in Infamous to switch the camera, totally feels wrong this way :laugh:

as for Borderlands and Bio Shock are a bit too FPS for me. i've tried Gears of War with bubba, but SUCKED due to the lack of being able to use duel joysticks easily. i'm getting better with it though, and he has an older Halo for the 360 that i want to try with him.

You might like White Knight Chronicles. I didn't play much of it but my dad and little brother seemed to enjoy it. There's a lot of character customization. A lot of spells and abilities and weapons and whatnot. The voice acting is really terrible though.

this game got very bad reviews on IGN overall. it got a rating of 5.1 and this sums up the game review nicely. Game informer didn't even review the game (which is where i get most of my gaming info from)

Unfortunately, White Knight Chronicles (known as "White Knight Chronicles International Edition" in the United States) is one of the first major disappointments of 2010. The end result, which is far removed from the promise of the original concept trailer, not only looks far worse, but has a flawed battle system, poorly-told story and a number of technical issues. I'm amazed that this game, which had so much potential, actually came from a studio with such a vast amount of experience. As sad as it is to say, White Knight Chronicles is a letdown.

Read more: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/106/1066138p1.html#ixzz11OJmfkDB

Not as good as my failed attempt at final fantasy 11 (the online one)

I got it 3 months before it was released in the UK (walked into Game and they had like 10 American copies)

Set my address as the White House as it didn't recognise anything English.

Gave up playing it before it was released in the UK as thought it was poor.

Not as good as my failed attempt at final fantasy 11 (the online one)

I got it 3 months before it was released in the UK (walked into Game and they had like 10 American copies)

Set my address as the White House as it didn't recognise anything English.

Gave up playing it before it was released in the UK as thought it was poor.

Yeah, I despised that game. No FF will ever live up to FFVII in my eyes.

Nothing will ever beat FFVI.

Of course, Final Fantasy is a horrible idea for an online franchise anyway. Seriously. I have no idea what kinda crack they're on, trying to do it again. I MIGHT and I mean MIGHT bother with FFXIV if I hear good things about it. But I'd rather go back to WoW than see them try to make Final Fantasy online again.

Versus XIII... hope its as good as it looks.

And Dragonquest VIII was pretty awesome. Probably one of the best JRPGs on the PS2. If not the best.

Final Fantasy X was the best. Still haven't completed VI and VII. Might eventually get round to it. Well I will have to re start VI as I can't remember much about the story at all.

I am waiting to see what reviews say about XIV as I can't really see it working too well.

Archived