DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Dragonmount movie?

Paladin Brewer

I remember when they made the star wars series, (the last three) it did't make too much sense on the storyline, but it just was still very appealing.

if you only had seen epidsode 4-6

-How did anikin become darth vader

-Luke's mother is who?

-why is "jedi" a religion?

-Why did darth vader not have a right arm when Luke chopped it off?

If People could pull that off so can people for RJ could probably do that. Do the first three books and leave it at that. If another producer wants to make the next three, fine. Star Wars is a really deep series too, but it was done...

Star Wars was the first major sci-fi/fantasy movie to be made. it was a huge success because it was new. At this point we are somewhat drowned in this genre of film. With Eragon coming out soon it will put just another fantasy adventure on the market to further inundate us.

Obi-wan explains to Luke that Vader is what became of the remenant of his father Anakin with vader being mostly machine. Mentioning that the dark side turned him. That is how anakin became Darth Vader.

Luke figures out that Leia's mother is the same as his and Leia remembers her mother as being very beautiful. At his time we do not know that she is not talking about padme but her adoptive mother so no more detail really has to go into it.

As for "Jedi" as a religion. It's not. A jedi is a knight that believes in the Force (which isn't even so much as a religion as a belief in a power source-not a Creator/God, etc) and fights for the good. The Sith being the opposite, drawing on the Dark Side of the Force.

As for the arm thing I discussed that earlier with obi wan talking about how Vader was mostly machine now.

I can't believe I revealed how much a true geek I am with this post.

I think if HBO did this as a series, they could cover all the books with 4 seasons. That to me would be the best way to get everything important in the books down on scene and not miss things. HBO does a great job with all their series, and is always looking for something different to produce. I can't think of a better way to put this together into a on screen setting.

Hopefully someone will be able to get it done, and can go present it to HBO and get the ball rolling. I am very curious to see who they get to play all these characters. I have some idea's for some characters, but there are so many, it's nearly impossible to think up a cast to cover all the important people. Likely we'd get a few known stars, and the rest up and comers in the acting business. I think this would be as watched as the Soprano's series.

I love the idea of an HBO series, but it runs into the same problem most mediums do.

You have to take into account an audience. HBO would be creating a series that would almost certainly have to have a huge budget (graphics, HUGE cast of several major characters even if they are minor stars would still get expensive, locations, etc). How many people would order HBO just to watch this series that are TWOT fans? It would be illogical for me to purchase the channel knowing full well that it would be released on DVD and I would buy it that way.

Now, if Sci-fi Channel were to create the series we might be on to something. it is not a premium channel, though it is still a Cable channel. More people would have the chance to just happen across the program and hopefully get sucked in. HOWEVER, anyone not knowing the entire storyline would not be able to jump in at any point and necessarily understand what on earth was going. Try suggesting to a friend that s/he read books 1,2,3 then skip a few books and pick up book 9. Well they'd miss so much of the story that even a TV series would have problems. They may start off with a large audience of non-readers, then they would dwindle and not pick up because the story would be so confusing that they'd not have any idea without constant recaps.

My only problem with it would be the whole "what if its just not good..." ya know what i mean? there is just so much info in the series and i think i would honestly be disapointed with any kind of theatrical version. Could be just me, but i dont think movies or even a long series would do it justice.

If WoT was made into either a mini-series, full blown series of, say, 25 episodes or even a movie it's my opinion that you could actually take EOTW as a one off. Then when the popularity has been gauged carry on making it in that format or leave well alone what ever the case may be.

But no matter how it is brought to the screen there will always be people who will knock it without even giving it a chance.

Whoever takes on this monster of a project has to have a love of the series for it to have a chance of success. For instance LOTR was directed by Peter Jackson who was a fan since childhood, and while I thought the movies were quite good it was let down in so many areas by needless changes. One prime example is on the stairs in Moria when Aragorn and Frodo are stuck on the collapsing staircase. Why? When the actual events in the book are a lot better.

A lot of the problems in a books adaptation to screen is caused by either a Director trying to dilute the content to appeal to non-fans or to put his own stamp on the movie.

I think "real" fans would rather have a low budget production which is faithful to the story we all know and love than an over the top "Hollywood Blockbuster" which is more interested in action.

Comparisons can be drawn with the David Lynch/ Dino de Laurentis version of Dune and the Sci-Fi Channel version. I preferred the Sci-Fi Channels' version even though the acting was wooden and scenery was at times laughable. But it stayed truer to the book which to me is the all important factor.

I don't mean to knock the productions, I just would really hate to see it done poorly, or started and not completed (Twin Peaks series: only season 1 on DVD!!!). I'd prefer to keep the characters in my imagination where they are much more vivid and real to me than having to supplant an actor's face for the one I see for any of the characters. Anytime I think of Frodo, now I see Elijah Woods and I HATE THAT. Though Orlando Bloom for Legolas is mighty yummy! Point being, do it well or don't at all.

As for David Lynch, I love him. Does not excuse what liberties he does take though.

My feelings exactly! Do it well or not at all.

Ideally RJ would be working alongside whoever took it on or at least someone that RJ trusts.

One of the reasons I would rather see it using computer animation is it would be a unique character not an actors face representing Rand and the rest of the cast. Preferably an illustrator working with RJ himself to get at least the main characters to look how he visualises them, and the different nationalities' characteristics.

To be honest, I think each book could be produced as a mini- series, maybe 3 or 4 parts per book, as quite a lot of each one is about setting the scene, which wouldn't take up that much time on film.

But again it all comes down to getting someone who could handle it right, cutting out scenes which would not detract from the story.

Who could do it justice and keep the heart and soul of the story intact though?

To me, WoT as a book is good enough. There is a certain something about literature that makes it suitable to all ages.

"True glory consists in doing what deserves to be writte; in writing what deserves to be read." -Pliny the Elder.

Anyway, books are the perfect medium for such a storyline for me. Anime, as has been mentioned before, does not appeal to all audiences, and in my mind, does not properly reflect the vivid nature of WoT.

Movies are also out, as they are expensive, will be hard to complete, and will be troublesome to put on the screen. I mean, besides all the thoughts and One Power, just imagine the number of people, ships, horses, etc, needed, even if they use super good animation, this would not be an easy task. Ok, LotR was a major success, but firstly, like mentioned before, it was the first of its kind. Good graphics mixed with a gripping tale made it magnificent. Secondly, it was a simple, non-complex story. It had a simple storyline. But for WoT, its audience is mixed. Furthermore, it is far more bloody. In LotR, it was orcs getting killed. In WoT, its people.

Edit: By the way, I got that quote from Civ 4.

Archived