DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Dragonmount movie?

Paladin Brewer

This movie is currently on-hold. We just did not have the experience and resources to do this movie at the level that it deserved to be done. This movie WILL be completed some day, and it will have been worth the wait.

Adapted and directed by Jason Denzel

Yeah, makes sense... there's no one there to help make the movie. I know there were a couple old DMers that helped and some of it is made, but it hasn't work out. Maybe if there were more volunteers near the San Francisco Bay area in California it would get done.

I too hope they can get a movie made sometime in the near future. Maybe make it a trilogy or something. I think doing it and maybe airing it on HBO like a TV series would be good. HBO usually does a pretty good job on their series, as they always win awards. I think they'd be a perfect fit for a season long series, that could stretch into a few seasons to get the full effect of the books.

I like your idea for HBO, schizm. The WOT series cant be made like the lotr movies, but maybe like the lemony snicket movies (which i hate w/ a passion) where you combining 2-3 books in a movie. (which would be difficult...)

Which comes to my conclusion: HBO series...I would tape the whole thing, definitely.

What would be a good actor for Rand Al' Thor? I cant put a thumb on what he would look like other than other than on the covers of the books. Any ideas?

I also heard a rumor that Robert Jordan wrote the Conan the Barbarian series? rumors.....can anyone confirm that?

I'd suggest that it should be done as an Anime series.

It would allow you to do multiple things that HBO, a mini-series and a movie would not.

1. "Thoughts"

At least half the statements made in this series are actually thoughts not said out loud. It's hard to do that kind of echo in live action shows where as in Anime, a character can go on for 2 minutes at least just thinking about their motives/strategy/etc. and it's accepted that said thoughts are being done much more quickly then that.

How many times do you hear someone say something to a main character and then it's 2 full paragraphs of what the main character is thinking of saying in this series? Exactly!

Not to mention the fact that Lews Therin "talking" in Rand's head would be less odd seeing it in this form.

2. "Seeing The Flows/Glowing Nimubus of holding the power"

Again, much simpler and easier then trying to do computer generated effects, you could animate how the different flows work, a shield, the "glow", etc. all by cell animation or hand drawn.

It's tons cheaper too and would make more sense then watching real people wave their arms a bunch and have computers add it later.

3. "The Multiple Main Plots"

*Note: This could be solved by it being a live-action TV series as well*

As we all know, by book 4 and all the way through book 11, we have a minimum of 4 main story lines going on at once. How the timing of all these work out could be done in a much more straight-forward manner. Like regular TV shows, you could simply be telling all the story's at once, but in chronological order.

By making it a movie, you are putting obvious constraints on what can and can't make it into the movie.

By making it a series, you also don't have to skimp on small details and such storyline wise. They shouldn't have to cut out much of anything. It can be paced like the books are but still be able to cut from plotline to plotline, keeping things in order and perspective.

For all this, I suggest it being done in English (considering I don't think WoT is too popular in Japan, much less here), don't hold back on the nudity (not that there is THAT much) and don't skimp on the animation.

Alas, this will never happen.

But good lord it would be cool if it did....

RJ said during one of his book signings (charstlon, SC, i thnk )back in January (Again, i think) that he had just approved an outline for a movie version of tEotW. He expected a script in front of him for approval 6-8 weeks aftetr that.

Since then, of course, we've heard nothing.

Blog question, anybody?

B.

Just in case anyone is thinking this is 2nd or 3rd hand information, i heard it myself at the book signing.

B.

The problem with anime is that it is very much a turn-off for many people. It's very specific to the audience it targetes. in effect you would be narrowing the audience even further

1. the subject matter alone will narrow the audience "Oh great, another fantasy series, Who cares?" LOTR was fabulous (at least to me) but another hard hitting, long winded adventure will not send the majority of masses to the theater. Tolkein was something every grade school kid had some experience with and sadly the same can not be said of Jordan. he simply does not have the exposure that LOTR did.

2. Choosing the medium by which to show the story.

While I don't think anyone would go out and get a subscription to HBO, I think it more likely that once it did come out on DVD more people would be willing to purchase a Live action/CG version that an anime version. Anime is not the most widely accepted medium and I think that a fair number of fans would be greatly disappointed by seeing the in-depth characters that Jordan created reduced to two dimensional drawings.

Indeed.

Hence why I said it wouldn't happen.

I'd still guggest it's the best medium that the series could be ACCURATLEY portrayed in. The term "3 demensional characters" refers to their attitudes, thoughts, actions, abilities, etc. Not how they are drawn or seen. You are correct though. People see animation and think "cartoon". (<---- None of these people have EVER seen Neon Genesis Evangelion btw)

So anyway.

Any movie series and such would signifigantly alatar what's told in the story.

Not enough people like this series for it to be another LotR. And the story is too deep, the characters are too many and the multiple plot lines0 are to long to be even remotley accurate if they tried to do it in 3 movies or less. It's a MINIMUM of 5 and still wouldn't get it totally right.

Frankly, if they did something like they were originally talking about with the mini-series it COULD work. I remember the 10th Kingdom being almost 9 hours long over 4 nights. If they made that kind of comitment to each book then I could see it maybe working.

Again though, much as we all love the series, it's just not popular enough to get that kind of commitment from any major studio.

Do it right or don't do it at all. Period.

Does anyone agree with my opinion that the best way to "film" the WoT series would be to animate it like, if anyone has seen it, Roughnecks the series (spinoff from Starship Troopers). Or even Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within or Advent Children.

I think using this method would make it easier to show Channeling different Weaves and to create Aes Sedai "agelessness".

Demonspawn

this animation medium has the same problems as anime would. It's already such a specific audience that would be targeted that further narrowing it to people that would like to see it in animation would take make it a logical choice. With all of the advances in Cg integrated with Live action a live action with Cg enhancements would still be the safest way to bring people to the series that may not have been interested in it without reading the series.

Demonspawn

this animation medium has the same problems as anime would. It's already such a specific audience that would be targeted that further narrowing it to people that would like to see it in animation would take make it a logical choice. With all of the advances in Cg integrated with Live action a live action with Cg enhancements would still be the safest way to bring people to the series that may not have been interested in it without reading the series.

Indeed. Best way to bring it to the masses. Also the hardest way to do the story/world well too.

Archived