DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I Have a Thought/Prediction on RJ/BS - ''Who Wrote What?'' - Re: Last 3 Books

NOTE: I am NOT trying to disrespect either Team Jordan's or The Mod's wishes to not overly dissect this issue for fear of detracting from the enjoyment of the story over The Last 3 Books...however, an author change of a Major Series IS going to invite folks to guess and look...Especially considering the sad nature of Mr Jordan not being able to finish his masterpiece...and the very positive (imo) circumstances of Mr Sanderson doing such dedicated, respectful and skillful work now ... and its just Human Nature. And I dont think its wrong to wonder at it or be curious about it. So, my reason for posting this is not to detract, but out of sincere curiosity and well-meaning intentions.

Sooo...Anyway: No, these are not just baseless conjectures...I have REASONING behind them (that I can share throughout this topic)...My Belief is:

1 Book 1 of AMOL (TGS) - ... I think there was alot of Jordan's Outline in this book but alot of dialogue and description was Brandon's.

2 Book 2 of AMOL (TOM) - ... Well, thankfully, we have it **CONFIRMED** That this book has ALOT of RJ material NOT just his *Outline* but actual WRITTEN Pages of RJ's ... I am so excited :-)

3 Book 3 of AMOL (AMOL) - ... A big MIX of the two. Last half of This Book probably mostly Jordan. The end, obviously Jordan. ... The Middle, probably some Jordan and some Sanderson. The early portions of the book probably a LITTLE Jordan and mostly Branderson.

Fish

Fathammer, DemandredFO ... I think you guys are misunderstanding me here :(

I do a bit of writing myself, believe it or not, and I am a BIG fan of literature and writing in general...I think it is ok, even complimentary, and human curiosity, to wonder which parts were written by which - between two wonderful authors.

Also, its not THAT  big a secret. Sanderson himself, in an interview (posted on this very board by our very own Mods, lol) revealed that much of Mat (who has the MAIN story arc in TOM) was written by Mr Jordan.

I mean noooo disrespect to the series or either author...Looking at differences is something fun and interesting to me as a fan of the series, the authors and writing in general. And as an amaetur writer myself.

But, if it is really taboo, or considered disrespectful...I dont mind then if this thread is locked or moved and Im really sorry :( But I hope that this conversation is allowed to continue in the spirit in which it was intended.

Fish

Shadow Rider...I am not trying to get people to ''predict'' it in the ''overly-dissect'' way...I just think it is really interesting to figure it out...like solving a puzzle.

I think it would be neat to compare also ... NOT in a competitive was like ''Oh, Jordan would have SOOO handled this part better than Brandon'' ... but more in a way of just observing and appreciating the differences in style and approach. And learning what little differences in each that you love each for their own special individualities.

Kinda like loving Superman 1 and Superman 2 (Donner and Lester) for their own unique traits even though Richard Donner directed the first movie and Lester did the second)

Or looking at the differences between tow amazing generals or kings or presidents.

But, again, if this isn't the spirit that it might be taken...well, all I can say is that NO Disrespect is intended.

Fish

BS has been pretty forthcoming about the writing processs, so I wasn't sure why or how speculation was even really necessary.  It seems the only reason he'd hold back on answering anything you're saying is if it was too much of a spoiler, or some of it was still up in the air, or deference to Harriet.  I don't even see what the order matters it's mostly POV driven more than anything else.

well my two cents: i can tell that most if not all mats scenes were by Mr Sanderson. they were still very entertaining but i could tell, the chapters had a different "voice". Egwene on the other hand seemed like couldve had alot of Mr Jordan...if not than Mr S did a real good job i couldnt tell the difference. you could tell that the feel of the book as a whole was different.

i think with RJ you were on a leisurely stroll,not really sure where we are going and not really caring, just enjoying the journey. with Mr S we are on a fast jog if not dead run, which after 20 years i found refreshing.(please dont defend Mr S's pace to me...i know full well why, and like i said i really liked it)

Thanks for your opinions Matrulz.

I also initially felt Mat was off...however...during rereads, he seems ALOT more ''himself'' to me than he did during my first read through. Weird.

I thought he (BS) really got Perrin, Cadsuane, Nynaeve and Min very well. Ive seen some people feel that Aviehenda was a bit off. Personally I felt like Avi was GREAT (in how she was written).

There were certain adjetives I felt like HAD to have been Brandon's and some of the internal thoughts of characters seemed to have a MUCH quicker flow than Jordan's custom.

HOWEVER. The other night I was rereading back through Winter's Heart. The second half of that book had VERY LITTLE inner thinking by characters and their dialogue was VERY quick and crisp.

Also...as ''Slow'' as COT and POD and (to a lesser extent) ACOS) were, I think it gets forgotten that KOD was SO ACTION-PACKED. Ill be honest. Ive been reading this since 91. I have an autographed hardback of ''EYE'' annnnnnd.... TGS alsmost seemed like a direct continuation of KOD.

I Love KOD so much its not even funny, lol.

There is a perception sometimes that Jordan's books were full of slow inner monologues and languishing in formal writing and also lacking in ''Action.''

BUT...while these accusations WERE valid at TIMES ... (and why would it not be now and then over the 11,000 Pages the man wrote) I think it is a bit of an unfair perception.

Like I said. Pick up the second half of Winter's Heart...Reread KOD...You'll find loads of ''quick'' dialogue and loads of Action.

In othere words. I do NOT think that maybe Jordan's books went along at a snail's pace and then Sanderson came in and wrote the pace at light speed. I just dont see the difference as being that huge. Perhaps a FEW place has character's thoughts feeling a bit rushed and perhaps there were a FEW words and adjetives that Sanderson used that seemed a bit...''modern''... for RJ, but those are few and slight concerns in my mind. I just can not see ANYONE on the world doing a job with WOT that would have made me happier than what I have seen from Mr Sanderson so far.

Also, I DO think one kind of fun thing is the fact that Harriet has said that alot of what fans have been SO SURE about in terms of who wrote what have had it backwards LOL!!!

I think that makes it fun.

JMO's

Fish

1. To the thread topic, I understand that Fish here means no disrespect, he made that pretty clear, so cant be too harsh on him, he is only posting something he is interested in.

HOWEVER, I agree, i do think this is not a topic to go into, it really shouldnt be done, and ultimatly there is no point other than wanting all the answers you can get, so I say, while you mean no disrespect and all, just leave it would probably be best.

2. In regards to Mat tGS, I think everyone was a bit harsh (understandably), MR.Jordan had passed away and we were not sure if we were getting a book, then suddenly out comes tGS with a new writer.

The first thing we look at (if we're honest with ourselves) is the slightest mistake or difference in writing. So, when Mat changed a bit, we all jumped on it and tore it to shreds. However, most people, after the initial read was done and if we re-read the book, with only the story being looked at, we realise that Mat wasnt too bad at all, just changed, (he did just get married)

Note: Mat DID change from RJ's style, but personally, i think it was an overreaction on our part.

3. I agree with Fish in regards to CoT, KoD, and tGS.

Barid - Thanks for your nice words. Yeah, I know The Spirit under which I am interested in this subject, but if it is still one that is touchy to people like Brandon or Harriet, then I certainly don't mind not talking about it.

I am always amazed when I read folks criticizing how slow and boring the ''later'' books that they seem to forget what an AWESOME and RIVETING book KOD was. I mean, it was BEYOND a return to form for RJ. I just dont see why it gets so overlooked. I mean, I understand the crticisms of WH, COT, POD and ACOS - even though I do not agree on each of those. But at least I can SEE where some people are coming from with those...But, KOD??? I mean, am I the only one that saw the Awesomeness that was KOD???

Just kidding: Im not egocentric enough to believe that. Not...quite ;)

One last note about CROSSROADS OF TWILIGHT...I found it sad indeed that Jordan had sunk to devoting an entire chapter to Weevils and how to Sift Grain!!!

Then I realized how impressive RJ still was that he could actually make an entire chapter on WEEVILS and SIFTING GRAIN actually kinda interesting, LOL!!!

Fish

Ok, there are three threads essentially on this topic, and in all three there is some degree of contention, so we are going back to the old rule--there will be no threads specifically for the discussion of RJ vs. BS, no matter what position you take.

You may discuss it in other topics if you feel it has relevance to that particular topic (but no threadjacking), but no specific topic on the subject.

Archived