DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

STEVE IRWIN IS DEAD!

Ozhammer

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did I ever tell you all about the time when I was a teenager, and I auditioned for a film role opposite Rusty Crowe. I even got a call back!!! I could be living the high life and having my toes sucked by Mandy Moore in Hollywood, but it wasnt to be...

The film was a small aussie production called "Hammers Over the Anvil"

I'm new here and after reading the rules and regulations was suprised to read how little respect was shown here.

That guy was a real hero for kids in any nation of the world to look up to. He wasn't on the tube with a guitar, gun or cursing at half naked women. Its bad enough when sports stars are elevated over the status of mum&dad, teachers or other real life figures.

This bloke was out in the world bringing nature to the forefront of our attention so that we may see what only he could have. I had never seen half of what he had on his show.

I once saw Ted Nugent on the tube explaining how to lure bears to a tree stand with sugar blocks (the equivelant of salt licks but sweet) so that he could get a clean shot at them with a bow and arrow. His show was offensive to any wanting to watch the animals as the actual kill was filmed as well as him straddling it on the ground and bragging about "killing" the unknowing creature. Brave man... Steve grabbed his prey by the tail, leg or wing without bait. At times he threw himself on top of crocodiles in attempts to subdue them for relocation. He took a fair beating from them all as he could hope to give. That was part of the realism and humour. "Crikey!"

Was that racecar driver as much of what the world knew of Australia any more than what Steve Irwin represented? Up here in between Calgary and Edmonton I say no. We are on the edge of the USA and share a common culture in some regards. I think I can say its the same down there. It is sad the race driver died as well but he is on a different level of humanity IMO.

Think of who you want your kids to look up to. Surely, Robert Jordan is on the list but, how long is your list and who is on it?

I will keep Steve Irwin on mine.

Archived